“Good times....”

St. James's Club & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mamora Bay
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We went as a family of 4 not really knowing what to expect..We truly enjoyed our stay. It is reasonably priced and you get (eat) what you pay for. My children who are 2 and 5 loved it as the Kids Club was accomodating from 9am-9pm and they enjoyed being there.

The staff is nice as long as you are nice to them and they will help you out as much as you want. Remember to tip well wherever you go though. My only issue were the rooms and the beach quality. We had been upgraded to an ocean view room, but they still have old school keys and the doors were very hard to open/close. A few times we were there, pipes burst and there were intermittent water outages (like when I was showering).
The beach when we were there were fully of jellyfish swimming up tp shore so I did not let the little ones near it.

Alll in all, it is a nice getaway, the Kids club staff is friendly, the food is all excellent quality and quantity for an all-inclusive and the island is a friendly place for the most part that lives by the golden rule of being nice as long as treated with respect and courtesy.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank travelbug73
There are newer reviews for St. James's Club & Villas

Reviewed July 15, 2007

We have now been back from our holiday at The Beach Club, St James Hotel, Antigua for just over a week and I wish we were still there. What a great holiday.

We flew with BMI and everything went smoothly.

On arrival we were given a rum punch and taken straight to our room following check in which took all of five minutes. Wow, just open the patio doors and you're right on the beach and the breeze was refreshing. Home for the next two weeks.....bliss. We had a Superior Beach front room on the ground floor which was very spacious, lots of room for belongings and a bottle of rum each week. What more could you wish for. Lots of early mornings were spent on the patio with a coffee before a leisurely walk to breakfast.

All food was served in Coco's restaurant and bar and was faultless, there was always plenty of choice. We ate twice a week in the Rainbow and Dockside across at St James when Cocos was closed which was nice for a change. It was mostly buffet but every few days they provided a la carte service with some lovely dishes to choose from. Be prepared to slap on a few pounds.

The maid came to our room every day and kept the room lovely and clean.

We did three trips which are all worth doing. The Catamaran cruise round the island was great and lots of fun and you see lots and sites.

We also did the island jeep safari again great fun with lots of sites and information given by the driver even if he was a trifle mad. And we had a blow out on the jeep on the way home which is just one of those things and adds to the fun.

And finally we did the helicopter trip to Monserrat, what an amazing site to see and as I have a fear of flying and managed to do this trip and thought it was great then I suggest you go for it.

The beaches and sea are so inviting and so what if you get a bit of seaweed on one side, the guys are round every morning with their trailer and scoop it all up. And what about the drinks cart that comes round every 2 or 3 hours on the beach. And depending who is on duty you don't even have to leave your sunbed and a drink is brought straight to you - how good is that.

All in all this is a great place to stay and I would certainly recommend this to anyone. I know some people say that the staff are surley and not very friendly but to be honest I think it is just their character. If you chat with them they will chat back.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
14  Thank floppsytart
Reviewed July 4, 2007

My husband and I and our 11 year old daughter travelled to St. James Club in oct. half term 2006, this hotel is very nice but unfortunately it is situated on the wrong side of the island for the best beaches. It is set on a penninsula and on one side is the Atlantic which means this beach is quite breezy (which is good but you don't get that calm, ultra blue water of the carribbean) and on the otherside is a lagoon like bay which is very calm but no breeze so it tends to get very hot and the waters aren't clear here either. Also when we were there it was the end of the jelly fish season and there were loads of dead ones being washed up and floating in the sea so I didn't swim in the sea once which was a bit disappointing. The pool area is also slightly on the small side for such a large hotel and it could tend to get a bit crowded with children but having spoken to someone (Virgin Crew) how had been there the week before they said the place was virtually empty so I guess if you go outside the school holidays it isn't a problem. Our room was ok and we ended up with an ocean view even though we only paid for a garden view, and I think some of the rooms had recently been refurbished and we were in one of those, but some people we met still had the old style bathroom and it wasn't so nice. The food was good and the staff very nice (aslong as you are pleasent to them they will reciprocate). We hired a jeep one day to see a bit of the Island, and although not very big it does take ages to get anyway because the roads are so bad, we did find some lovely beaches but didn't make it to the capital as there was some sort of march going on and we got stuck in a load of traffic so we truned back. The kids club here is excellent and our daughter made friends straightaway, we met up with their parents and spent most of the holiday with them and we are still intouch and have met up several times since. All in all, nice hotel, wrong location.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank Monty05
Reviewed July 3, 2007

Just returned, Saturady, from a week at the St. James Club. Myself along with my wife and two teenagers, had a great time there. The staff was very friendly at all times. We had a few maintenace problems, but they were taken care of quickly. We had two oceanview connected rooms which was very conveinent

Both the food and service was very good in all of the restaurants. The morning breakfast buffet was my favorite, great variety. The drinks at the beach bars were all great and not watered down.

We took the all day trip boat trip around the Island, people interested should research carefully since we found that the trips offered are very they are different.

The only negative comment that I have is that the resort is on the far side of the Island. Rental Car's cost about US$80.00 including taxes. Gasoline is about US$4.00 a gallon. Taxi from airport is US$33.00 OW. St Johns is about the same.

The only caution, I have is for people traveling on US Airways. US Airways offers one flight a week. If you miss this flight, major travel problems can occur

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank yuki215
Reviewed July 3, 2007

We went to St James Club as a honeymoon couple with 3 friends for two weeks in June. Upon arriving at the resort the check-in was a so and long process... couldn't quite understand why but there was our first taste of rum punch on offer which eased the wait. An american guy who seemed to be the Duty Mgr was wondering around apologising for the wait which was a nice touch. We had put down on all our forms that we were a honeymoon couple but the hotel hadn't registered this but will a few unsubtle hints - my hubby and I received a chilled bottle of bubby in our room.

We paid extra for a premium room (713) which was well worth it, the location was great and the view - spectacular - nothing in front of us other than the Sea !!! Huge comfy bed, double bath, fridge, big TV, dressing gowns - great !

I had very few complaints about the food...I've never been to an all inclusive where they have A La Carte and I had some fantastic food. My husband is a very fussy eater and did struggle, he would ask specifically for something not to be included on the plate such as Sauce or Vegetables and it really was pot luck if they listened. For breakfast and lunch you need to be seated and not just wonder in and find your own table which we only found out a few days in.... the staff seem to be abit friendlier if you did that. For dinner you have to make reservations... if you go with Virgin and they tell you you can't book CoCo's until after noon on the day.... its not true !
A couple of evenings we didn't make any reservations because of excursions but manage to turn up at a restaurant and get a table no problem.

Now on to the subject of the drinks... which I was surprised to find out that they are generally branded sprits and good quality wine. The champagne was really good and beach bar cocktails excellent. However they do tend to make them too strong to the point that they are undrinkable which is a real shame. We had to watch them pour and tell them to stop - I never thought that I would say that the drinks were too strong but I'm not one for drinking neat spirits!

The biggest disappointment I have to say is the staff, I was expecting happy and welcoming people and sadly they weren't. In the restaurants it was real pot luck as to whether you had good service.....sometimes we couldn't fault it and other times you had to get up and go and ask for drinks or sit with your dinner plate in front of you for 30 mins before it got cleared away.
I understand the relaxed carribean way and wouldn't have minded so much if it was done with a smile but sadly it wasn't. If we came across a waitress who was happy and would have a joke with us it would be a talking point ! (Stephanie at Coco's lunchtime was great!)
Going to the bar during the day - they would be sat chatting and you felt like you were interrupting them to get served and it would be done with a kind of begrudgence.

The watersports people were incredibly unfriendly......... what is wrong with these people. It makes me wonder if they resent the holiday makers.... or if they are treated poorly by the management. At the beginning of the holiday it really put a dampner on things but after a few days we just thought 'oh well'

Two beaches - windy beach and mamora were both beautiful... unfortunately could not go into sea on the atlantic side because of jelly fish...... but its nice for abit of peace and quiet.

We did a few excursions including visit to
Shirley Heights on Sunday - good night
extreme circumnavigation which was good but not worth the $170 dollars
Virgin Dundee - Off Road Jeep Tour, kayaking and snorkiling - very good
Sunset Cruise - not romantic but a good laugh
Helicopter Tour - fantastic

To finish we all very much enjoyed our holiday to St James but do think that it could be improved upon and it would be unlikely for us to return to that resort.

Meant to mention - if you eat at Docksiders make sure you wear insect repellant - (its right by the water) I forgot one night and ended up regretting it !

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank maybe1
Reviewed June 23, 2007

We have just arrrived home after a wonderful week at The St James Club. We had previously spent a week there in February 2006. After looking for a one flight holiday for our 30th wedding anniversary we decided to go back to the st james. Never one to go back to the same place again I was a bit apprehensive that it wouldn't be as enjoyable as my first visit to the carribean. How wrong I was in fact I think I enjoyed it even more! We had booked a premier room for a sea view but unfortunately someone had planted a palm tree right outside our room and the palms covered the whole of the balcony. When asked if we could move they upgraded us to a suite!! The staff are really helpful and friendly and this makes a stay at st james so pleasent. We had been on the local trips the last time so we went on a days safari in an open jeep which included kayaking, snorkeling and getting a little too close to a couple of sharks for my liking. You can have a relaxing holiday or an active one it's your choice. We had a great week and could not fault the st james club.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank clarabow35
Reviewed June 19, 2007

We went to Antigua on our honeymoon in May 2007. We started our honeymoon at St. James' Club which, while it was nice, could improve on a number of areas...their staff being the most important! From the receptionists to waiting staff and watersports guys, their attitude to guests could be vastly improved upon. It seemed to depend on what kind of mood they were in as to whether they would give you a smile or be friendly. You definitely need to slip into the relaxed way of Antiguan life in St. James' Club, as NOBODY is in a rush (especially the waiting staff!). Also, the resort is bit of a maze...I'd be embarrased to say the number of times I got lost going from the beach to the Spa or even just back to our room! The beach was beautiful and being all inclusive and being able to have a many drinks as you liked without having to put your hand in your pocket was great. The food was fine, but we were glad to be getting a change of scenery after 7 days! We then moved to the fabulous Carlisle Bay (I have written a seperate review of this)

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to St. James's Club & Villas? Share your experiences!