“Stunning Location, Great For Families”

St. James's Club & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mamora Bay
Reviewed August 29, 2014

My husband and I and our two sons, aged 6 and 10, spent 2 weeks at St James's Club in August and had a wonderful, relaxing vacation. The staff at Kidz Club was incredibly friendly and enthusiastic and they have a full day of activities like crabbing, swim games, snorkeling, fishing, paddle boating, kayaking, pizza and cookie making on the agenda. This is not a day care service where your children are simply babysat while you get free adult time, this is a true vacation full of new experiences that will have your kids happy at the end of the morning or day, raring to go back again the next day for their next adventure.

We were greeted upon arrival with cocktails and whisked right off to our rooms via golf cart. The grounds, beach and bay were beautifully maintained. You have a choice of the calm bay side with floaty rings or the ocean side, plus more pools than you know what to do with, often completely to yourself. There are extensive water sports and the staff are more then accommodating. I asked for a snorkel lesson one morning and even though this is not something they usually do, they accommodated us and the instructor had the boys snorkeling and laughing.

If you check outside the gift shop off the lobby, an agenda for the next few days is posted with all of the activities and dinner options. They show movies (grab a couch) and the air conditioning is blasting in the lounge in the evenings if you prefer it after the heat of the day. You have a la carte or buffet options for meals and the dinner buffets are themed so you will never get bored with the dining options at the four restaurants. Troy seated us most evenings at Docksider and went out of his way to secure a romantic seat by the water and inquire about our day.

We were lucky enough to be there for a Full Moon Party where the beach was set up for dinner and there was a dance club as well as live entertainment (dancers and a fire eater) and the strongest cocktails I think I have ever encountered (retire to the wine area if necessary!).

Walk or hitch a ride up to the top of the hill in the evening and you'll be treated to a stunning view. When we were there the moon looked like it was surrounded by a rainbow, and it reflected directly on the ocean in such a way that was so beautiful it almost didn't seem real.

The staff were the nicest group of people I have ever met on any vacation and while they are laid back they don't dawdle if you need advice or help. In general everywhere we went on the island we were greeted by smiling, happy people which really makes a good vacation great!

The other guests told us that the catamaran trip and snorkeling were amazing so we are looking forward to giving them a try during our next stay!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephanie K
There are newer reviews for St. James's Club & Villas

Reviewed August 28, 2014

We just returned from a week's vacation at St. James Club, Antigua and loved every minute of it.
The staff was so helpful and willing to make the extra effort in finding out answers to any questions we had. We loved the music, food and the beaches! We met some really nice families and enjoyed the whole resort. I highly recommend this resort and am looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: We had a suite on the "Vacationer's side and it was wonderfuly with ocean view right in fro...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan Leake B
Reviewed August 28, 2014

Husband and I stayed for a week at the beginning of the summer and am just writing the review now.
The good-
Upgraded to the Royal Suites and I would say that it was well worth it.
Ate mostly in the buffet restaurant and the food was totally acceptable. Not gourmet by any means but you could make healthy choices including fresh salads, fruits, egg white omelets, etc.
Staff was lovely
Pools were clean with plenty chaises available and a bar not too far away
View from room over inlet and sunsets were a highlight
The beach is beautiful
the reggae party at Shirley Heights was mad fun

The not so good
Its a pretty boring Island, really not much exploring to be done - if there was something great to do, I couldn't find it.
Nightlife stops by 10 or so, and some of the bands are OK but nothing really amazing
Gym is small and was packed - couldn't get on treadmill or bike at 9am
Yoga class was good but really could have been every day, not just a couple of times a week
Can't really walk anywhere, not along the beach or even in to town. You are really stuck there unless you get in a taxi and then really no where to go.
Drinks were just ok - wine was just ok, the rose wasn't bad
Hamburgers, fish sandwiches served at the beach hut grill were gross and low quality.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank here&there
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Where to begin! First off the service was absolutely horrible! The staff was rude, talking about going on strike in front of the guest, none of them ever smiled and acted like it was just another day at work. Only a couple of the staff smiled when they waited on us and we were sure to show our appreciation for them at least smiling or being friendly by tipping them the appropriate tip. The staff was suppose to help make our stay enjoyable, which they did not. We had to ask for a manager four times before one was called. A guest shouldn't need to ask for a manager more than once.
I didn't much care for the fact that the males had to wear polo type shirts to eat at the restaurant or go into the bar. If they showed up wearing a shirt without sleeves they were told that they could not eat without sleeves. The food was horrible. Breakfast was the same everyday we were there and lunch was leftovers from dinner the night before. The bar ran out of jack the first night we were there and we asked if they could get some more and it took them four days to finally having to ask someone else for it for us to get it.
You could not swim at night in the pools. They all closed at 6 o'clock and one night we were in the pool 10 minutes passed six and a security guard came to the pool and told us that we had to get out of the pool. There was absolutely no night life after the pool and the outside bars closed. They offered a movie every night at 8:30 which sometimes didn't even start until 9. The people that attended the movie were loud and interrupted the movie constantly. I understand that it was a family resort but it's respectful to be quiet during a movie.
The water sports were fun aside from having to always check them out and only getting an half an hour with them. Each room could only check out one of the things once a day. Made us very irritated only getting to use them once a day.
Our family vacation was the worst one yet and we will not be coming back to this resort any time in the future nor will it be recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014
11  Thank Tabijean
GuestAmbassador01, Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2014

Dear Guests,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback as part of our ongoing efforts to provide our guests with a wonderful Caribbean vacation.

However, we do not agree with the comments left by this guest, and want to provide you with a detailed response.

Our staff and management pride themselves on providing every guest with helpful, friendly service throughout their stay. We constantly update our guest service standards and training so that we are always ready to help you make the most of your island holiday. Many of our staff members and senior managers have made their careers at St. James's Club, with many being part of the team for 10, 15, 20 years or more! We love our guests, and our guests love coming back to see friendly, familiar faces year after year.

St. James's Club is one of a handful of resorts in Antigua that remains open on a year round basis. We stay open all year not only to provide wonderful summer vacations for our guests, but also as part of our local commitment to providing year round employment. We have not heard anything about an employee strike. To the contrary, our staff appreciates the fact that we remain open for business and a solid source of employment throughout the year.

During the day, casual beachwear is more than acceptable at any of the resort's restaurants. Come on in with your shorts, tank tops, flip flops, and wraps--that's what a day on the island is all about! Dress for evening meals is island casual. Tailored shorts, collared shirts, trousers, dresses and skirts are perfect. In the evenings, we simply ask that guests do not wear cutoffs, bathing suits or t-shirts in an effort to provide a nice ambience for all our guests to enjoy.

Our Chef and food and beverage staff are well-trained, and work diligently to provide terrific menu choices at all of our restaurants and bars. Each meal includes freshly prepared meals that are pleasing to both the eye and the palate. We do not serve "leftovers," and we are always mindful of taste, variety, and health and safety.

Our bars are always stocked with an excellent selection of beer, wine, blended and mixed drinks, and spirits. We are sorry if at any time during this guest's stay we ran out of Jack Daniel's. This would be a very rare occasion, and we would have restocked the bars as soon as the next shipment arrived on the island.

Local and international health and safety standards require us to close the pools for swimming before dusk, ie, 6:00pm. This is to help ensure the safety of all our guests, and is inline with most international standards.

We offer evening entertainment, along with a wide variety of daytime activities, not to mention many excellent tours and excursions--so, at St. James's Club, you can be as busy or relaxed as you wish. We also offer nightly movies in our indoor, fully air-conditioned movie room.

Our Water Sports team thanks this guest for their positive comments regarding our water sports activities, which includes Hobie Cat sailing, kayaks, paddle boards, pedal boats, swimming, snorkeling, boat trips, along with lots of great beach activities like volleyball and activities just for children and teens. We make every effort to ensure all our guests are able to use and enjoy our water sports equipment throughout the day, and we have not had any other complaints regarding the resort's abundant water sports activities.

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to read this response, and we look forward to having you as our guests at St. James's Club & Villas, Antigua.

The Staff & Management
St. James's Club & Villas, Antigua

Reviewed August 27, 2014

I stayed at St. James Club June 15th to June 22nd. I booked last minute and got a great deal. The resort is quite large soI upgraded my package to have a room located close to all amenities. It was a perfect choice for a little extra. I was steps from the main lobby, the main buffet restaurant and the main pool.

The resort is beautiful and is kept very clean. The food is very good and there is always a good selection at the buffet. Excellent food at the a la carte I tried. I didn't have a reservation but there was no issue with letting me come in any way. The drinks were great and the lady who worked on the bar by the main pool was fabulous. I wish I could remember her name but I could not write this review without mentioning her great service. I have added her picture so just look for her and ask for a Club Special. It is delicious!
All the staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful.

I visited the spa and had a mud wrap. It was worth every penny! The view from the spa is spectacular and if nothing else you should go there for the great view of Mamora Bay.

The purpose of my vacation was to get away and relax and SJC was perfect.

The only suggestions I would make would be to have a little music playing by the pool bar. Apparently they do not have access to speakers or they are controlled by the front desk. It was just a little too quiet. The afternoon of my last day the music was playing for a short while by the pool and it was like all the guests came alive. All the guests were talking about how nice it would have been to have a bit of music all week.

The rooms are nice but nothing spectacular. Had some trouble with my patio door and had to call for maintenance twice but all was good after that. I missed not having a place to sit to do my hair. Not a big deal. I paid $50 to have wireless internet in my room but the signal was weak and often lost. Don't waste your money. There is free wifi in the lobby and that is where I went for a more reliable connection.

Overall, I was very satisfied with my choice and look forward to returning some time in the future. I recommend this resort if you are going to relax. I hope to try St. James Club in St. Lucia soon.

Cheers,
Cindy

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

My mom and I celebrated our birthdays in Antigua at St James Club. Everyone said it was a 5 star but I'm not quite sure. I felt the lobby and entrance to the property was not as inviting as other 5 stars I've stayed at. I do have to say that the housekeeping, porters, front desk and all restaurant employees were fantastic! Very friendly. People had pleasant hellos all day, especially at the Rainbow Restaurant. The guest desk people were very warm and helpful. Housekeeping did a great job and were quick. The bands and lounge had good music and I left sweating from dancing so much. Special thanks for the surprise the resort left us in our room, a bottle of champagne and two glasses with a note thanking us for celebrating our birthdays with them. Then in addition, on my birthday, one of the servers got wind that it was my birthday and he and his co worker brought a couple of slices of rainbow pound cake on a decorated plate with happy birthday in chocolate and candles lit. They even sang happy birthday. What a surprise! I would definitely go back.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Ronne42
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa with our family of four. The villa was very clean and housekeeping service was excellent! However, the place could use some updating - new drapes, sheets and bedspreads are needed. One of the recliners on our patio was ripped at the bottom and unusable. Also, could have used more pillows.

The food was not the greatest. About average for an all inclusive resort. Breakfast is the best meal with good buffets, but avoid the dinner buffets and stick to the a la carte for dinner! There is plenty of food around the resort and we certainly did not go hungry, but our best meals were at places outside the resort.

We enjoyed the beach on the bay and took full advantage of the water sports. Kayaking, paddling boarding, Hobies were great. Our teenage boys played soccer, volleyball, ping pong and pool almost daily. Plenty of beach chairs available.

We rented a car for a few days, which was very easy and affordable with the rental agency right on site. Make sure you have good map - none of the roads seem to be marked and it can be a bit confusing, but a good adventure.

Overall, a decent place to stay, but be sure to see more of the island than this resort!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to St. James's Club & Villas? Share your experiences!