“Excellent hotel just not the romantic break we wanted (not hotels fault!)”

St. James's Club & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mamora Bay
Reviewed October 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed at St. James beach Club for 5 days of our 10 day honeymoon at the end of July. We had not intended to stay at this hotel as we were spending the whole honeymoon at Cocobay (also reviewed). However after events at Coco's hotel in the middle of our stay, needless to say, we no longer felt safe in our secluded cottage. If you have booked with Virgin or are thinking of booking with them I must give them credit they handled the situation excellently. They moved us to this hotel the day we requested even though it was after hours in terms of Antiguan reservations. This hotel also cost slightly more than the one we booked but we were never asked to pay anymore and were reimbursed for our taxi fare.

As we had upgraded at Cocobay we were automatically upgraded here and were on a premier guest package so please bear that in mind when reading the review.

The resort itself is huge and the facilities are amazing, loads of pools (one for adults only), huge tennis courts and lots of water sports. Most of these activities are included in an all inclusive package but some do still carry a small charge. (From what I understand other packages, e.g. half board, are available and I think the villas can be hired for self-catering but don't quote me on that as I'm not sure!) There is also a beauty salon which is charged seperately the ladies who work in there are lovely (They tried to help with my broken acrylic nail but beware I didn't come across anywhere that could fix it!)

We arrived late at night and on the last minute but the reception staff were welcoming and friendly, they sorted everything out for us. The bell boy packed all our bags on to the cart and took us to our room which was one of the beach front mango rooms on the ground floor.
Rooms: The rooms (like we stayed in) were huge, nthe bed was enormous! The room also had air conditioning which is a big plus! The bathroom was excellent, huge bath and his and her sinks! The verandah we had was amazing, nicely tiled (Could do with new loungers though) and led straight out onto the beach. We also had a fridge stocked with drinks, this was included in our package but I don't think it is on a normal all-inclusive so make sure you check.
The beach: Very private for the hotel and there is a drinks service every half hour that comes along the beach. Loungers were not a problem when we went but may be at busier times of the year.
Food: Lots of dinning options although most carry a charge. The main restaurant is fine, in fact good for an all inclusive. Lots of choice. My only complaint is the plastic furniture. Seriously, plastic 'wood effect' furniture in a 4* Carribean all inclusive?!
Meal times was when you really noticed the children at this resort.
Fair enough we didn't want to go to a hotel which allowed children but we had to change our plans and ended up here so I can't really complain about. If you have kids this is an ideal luxury family holiday. If you don'thave kids but aren't bothered about them then this is an excellent choice.
However for those on honeymoon or on a romantic holiday just be aware that while you are sipping champagne at your plastic table the next table will proabably have a young baby being kept up far too late (Yes even at the 9pm sitting!) which is then crying or banging cuttlery on the table! Even the a la carte restaurants allow children. Also you will not get to view that gorgeous carribean sea as you are now on the atlantic side of the island (just about). Compare my pics of here to those in cocobay to see the difference.

Overall the resort is excelllent value for money and a luxury hotel. The only choice you have is if it is right for you. Families definately yes, some couples yes but honeymooners and those not fond of children shattering the silence mabe need to think again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sarah J
Write a ReviewReviews (3,516)

Reviewed September 29, 2008

I was a little dubious of my booking for the St James club since it was hurricane season and of the recent event of the devastating shooting of the british honeymoon couple!! I was a little worried however I need'nt have worried. We flew from Manchester with British Midland in Premium which was well worth the money to travel a little more confortable.
On arrival our check in was very smooth especially with a rum punch welcome drink!!
Rooms.....
We had one of the sea front rooms, it didnt have direct access to the beach as they were recently built but this didnt bother us. The rooms are extremely spacious with full cable t.v, iron and ironing board, hairdryer. The bathroom were extremely spacious with a huge bath that would fit two people in along with double sinks. all in all very clean and comfortable!!
Beaches....
There are 2 beachs one on the Atlantic side and one on the calmer mamora bay which I found very hot, the breeze on the Atlantic side was very much welcomed. granted there is some seaweed but it is cleared daily!!
pools...
There are various pools dotted all around the resort so you can easily find a quiet area if thats what you are looking for. I would recommend the pool at Coco's as it is like swimming in a warm bath and the restaurant/bar area above was great!
All Inclusive...
The food was amazing especially for an all inclusive property each day there was a huge amount of choice, as it was low season the restaurants tend to open and close on different nights but this really didnt bother us.

Rainbow garden - is the main dining room where we tended to eat breakfast and lunch however we did have a couple of meals here at night as some of the other restaurants were closed but you could either pick of the alacarte menu or just simply use the buffet which offered various dishes along with a daily carvery which would be beef, lamb or pork...simply delicious!!!
Piccolo Mondo - alacarte fine dining restaurant...basically what it says on the tin however you dont get the buffet it is all classed as posh nosh!! There is a $35 charge per person for this restaurant however as The docksider restaurant was closed we got this for free.
Coco's- very similar to Rainbow Garden if not I found it a little nicer!!

Drinks - You can basically drink whatever you want,the champagne, pinot grigio and the st james club special cocktail were my favourite!!

My dad used the gym and said it was perfect for what he wanted, there was also a kids club and plenty of water sports on hand to keep you occupied!!

Excursions...
We did do quite alot of trips, we got a private taxi who took us to shirley heights, Nelsons Dockyard which I would definately recommend as you then got given lots more info on the heritage, culture etc of Antigua. We also went To St Johns which is well worth the trip as the Diamond shops seem to be very good value!! The men of the group also played golf at Cedar Valley Golf Club they are harden golfers and do tend to take the Clubs wherever we go however they did say it was a little dissapointing but it was only $45 a round.
We also did the Excellence catamaran around the island which was a fantastic trip and really is a must, it was a $100 per person for the full day which included all food and all drink...the staff were great!!!

All in all I had a super time and would definately recommend it, as a luxury tour operator I can safely say I have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world. It is clearly not a 5 star Hermitage Bay however it is a very good resort. My only gripe is that the Virgin Crew stay at this hotel and they can be a little rowdy.

Be aware when booking the hotel as various operators offer different options in relation to restaurants etc.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank DUBAI2
Reviewed September 29, 2008

This was my 4th trip to St James's. The resort has maintained is high level of service, food quality and continues to keep the rooms and property updated. We have stayed in the St. James's Villas and they are large, bright and great for families ( we had our 3 kids in June 2005). This time, I stayed in the new sea front suites below the main pool and they are huge with stunning direct ocean views. You have to eat at Piccol Mondo which is excellent - lamb chops and the lobster are excellent. Day or night, go up St. James's Hill for stunning ocean views. The location is great if you like to be near must see English Harbour. I have been going to Antgua for over 17 years and stayed at Jumby Bay, Blue Waters, etc. St. James's is a fantastic option if you want great hospitlity, great food, 2 great beaches and reasonable rational prices.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 14Marlin
Reviewed September 27, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the St. James Club the week of June 16th,2008. We had a wonderful and very relaxing stay. The views and beaches are some of the best the Caribbean has to offer. The accomodations are top of the line, most with views to the beautiful turquoise sea. The food is outstanding with a choice of three restaurants (a fourth will be ready soon). We could be as active as we wanted to be ( Tennis, Boating, Swimming, etc.) or just veg out under a Palm tree with a wonderful breeze. We will definitely go back to the St. James Club.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BobSchwarz
Reviewed September 26, 2008

Stayed at St. James club from aug. 21st-26th. We had a great time. The room was very nice with an awesome view of the ocean. It had high sealings a hanging fan as well as an oversized tub. Best of all they didn't have any bedbugs! I was really worried about that when I read the reviews before I actually went, but we had no bites of any sort. I believe the rooms were called the reef deck suits.
It is true that 90% of the guests are from the UK, but my fiance and I thought that was really cool because it was like twice the vacation. Makes you feel more like you're out of the states and on vacation!
The food was OK. Sometimes very good and sometimes not so good. The trick is to pick the restraunts with buffets so that atleast you have a couple things to choose from. The staff was OK as well. Not very friendly, but not rude either.
The beaches were cool. The Atlantic side was very windy and did have a lot of seaweed! We liked the Marmora bay side. It was way calmer and way clearer! Oh, and there did seem to be a lot of families and a lot of kids....so be warned if thats ano no for you.
Over all we had a great time. Some small glitches with our stay at the hotel but nothing bad enough to complain about.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MandM99
Reviewed September 26, 2008

We stayed at the St James' Club in Antigua a few weeks ago, and it was outstanding. Super view from our bayside suite, wonderful food and attentive service, and a relaxed atmosphere that made us feel very much at home in a paradise of a location. The all-inclusive format we used was perfect - all the food and drinks we wanted, lots of free watersports and other activities, and no worry about overspending or what to tip. All in all, a great time at a very good price for what we got.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TimCalifornia
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I am a regular visitor to Antigua, and although I have stayed at other hotels on occasion, St James is my choice. I hae stayed many times and always look forward to my next trip there. On arrival I am always greeted by a lovely welcome basket with fruits and beverages. The rooms ahve always been clean and well maintained. I stayed in a room that opened onto the ocean.

The A La Carte Menu is excellent at any of the four restuarants. I must single out Picolo Mondo as an especially wonderful dining experience. The view, ambience and service was great, it is wonderful location for people who want a romantic setting. although I am not a big alchohol fan, there was always an abundance of my choice beverage which is wine.

On a daily basis through guest services there is an abundance of activities for guest from all walks of life. There is no shortage on activities and the staff were always very helpful if ever a difficulty arose.

Whether you want a quiet getaway or a f unfilled vacation. the staff of St James were always willing to assist. I will not consider staying an any other facility on island and I always recommend the hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
11 mi away
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to St. James's Club & Villas? Share your experiences!