My husband and I stayed at St. James beach Club for 5 days of our 10 day honeymoon at the end of July. We had not intended to stay at this hotel as we were spending the whole honeymoon at Cocobay (also reviewed). However after events at Coco's hotel in the middle of our stay, needless to say, we no longer felt safe in our secluded cottage. If you have booked with Virgin or are thinking of booking with them I must give them credit they handled the situation excellently. They moved us to this hotel the day we requested even though it was after hours in terms of Antiguan reservations. This hotel also cost slightly more than the one we booked but we were never asked to pay anymore and were reimbursed for our taxi fare.
As we had upgraded at Cocobay we were automatically upgraded here and were on a premier guest package so please bear that in mind when reading the review.
The resort itself is huge and the facilities are amazing, loads of pools (one for adults only), huge tennis courts and lots of water sports. Most of these activities are included in an all inclusive package but some do still carry a small charge. (From what I understand other packages, e.g. half board, are available and I think the villas can be hired for self-catering but don't quote me on that as I'm not sure!) There is also a beauty salon which is charged seperately the ladies who work in there are lovely (They tried to help with my broken acrylic nail but beware I didn't come across anywhere that could fix it!)
We arrived late at night and on the last minute but the reception staff were welcoming and friendly, they sorted everything out for us. The bell boy packed all our bags on to the cart and took us to our room which was one of the beach front mango rooms on the ground floor.
Rooms: The rooms (like we stayed in) were huge, nthe bed was enormous! The room also had air conditioning which is a big plus! The bathroom was excellent, huge bath and his and her sinks! The verandah we had was amazing, nicely tiled (Could do with new loungers though) and led straight out onto the beach. We also had a fridge stocked with drinks, this was included in our package but I don't think it is on a normal all-inclusive so make sure you check.
The beach: Very private for the hotel and there is a drinks service every half hour that comes along the beach. Loungers were not a problem when we went but may be at busier times of the year.
Food: Lots of dinning options although most carry a charge. The main restaurant is fine, in fact good for an all inclusive. Lots of choice. My only complaint is the plastic furniture. Seriously, plastic 'wood effect' furniture in a 4* Carribean all inclusive?!
Meal times was when you really noticed the children at this resort.
Fair enough we didn't want to go to a hotel which allowed children but we had to change our plans and ended up here so I can't really complain about. If you have kids this is an ideal luxury family holiday. If you don'thave kids but aren't bothered about them then this is an excellent choice.
However for those on honeymoon or on a romantic holiday just be aware that while you are sipping champagne at your plastic table the next table will proabably have a young baby being kept up far too late (Yes even at the 9pm sitting!) which is then crying or banging cuttlery on the table! Even the a la carte restaurants allow children. Also you will not get to view that gorgeous carribean sea as you are now on the atlantic side of the island (just about). Compare my pics of here to those in cocobay to see the difference.
Overall the resort is excelllent value for money and a luxury hotel. The only choice you have is if it is right for you. Families definately yes, some couples yes but honeymooners and those not fond of children shattering the silence mabe need to think again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the All-Inclusive St. James's Club & Villas, Antigua's most famous address. This beautiful resort is ideally located on a private, 100-acre peninsula. You will love our two white sand beaches, water sports, tennis, four restaurants, indoor and outdoor bars, beach bar & grill, luxurious spa & salon, freshwater swimming pools, supervised Kids Club, wide array of water sports, Scuba diving, and so much more. One of the Caribbean's most popular all-inclusive resorts. Excellent for couples, honeymooners, families, and friends. Located just minutes from major attractions like English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, and the lively Shirley Heights. Our warm and welcoming staff and management team will make your stay wonderful and memorable. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, West Indies, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your St. James's Club & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. James`s Club Hotel Mamora Bay
- St James Club Antigua
- St Jamess Hotel
- St Jamess Resort
- St James Antigua
- St Jamess Club Antigua
- St. James's Club & Villas Antigua/Mamora Bay