“Beautiful friendly resort”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mamora Bay
Richmond, Virginia
“Beautiful friendly resort”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We just got back from a relaxing week at St. James Club. All the staff were so friendly and accomodating! we would go back here in a heartbeat! The beaches were beautiful and my boyfriend loved the Hobies. The beach staff were so patient with teaching everyone how to use equipment! I noticed how nice and accomodating they were with people with children. I can not say enough about their whole crew!! Entertainers were awesome too!

Room Tip: we had ocean view room in papaya building and were quite pleased
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (993)
  • Greek first
Pocasset
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We have stayed in several all inclusive, adult only resorts before. This was not one of them and we made that choice. But we were looking for the simple things that make an adult environment, like hammocks and comfy beach-bed lounges to lay on. There are none to be found. No fire pits for nighttime gatherings. The only place to hang around at night is the Dockside with a few comfy couches, some great live music which otherwise would have proven a bust. Its quite obvious that most of the guests were families, couples were rare.
Overall we enjoyed our stay, our room was perfect, a Royal suite with steps right out to the dock.
The food was good, but not what I would call great. The service was OK, again, not great but acceptable.
The fishing was good to great, the resort offers day trips for very reasonable costs. The Hobie cats were always available for use, and kayaks too.

If you are a couple seeking all the comforts other resorts offer, then this is not the place for you. If you are a small family, or group of adults, then you will enjoy the place just fine.

Room Tip: Get a Royal Suite
1 Thank Jeff B
madison, nj
Reviewed April 28, 2014

As another guest said to us “this place is nice if you typically stay in a Holiday Inn.” On that note, we were not huge fans. We would not return to this resort. Also, tipping does not really get you anywhere. We noticed zero difference from when we tipped and did not. Save your money!

Accommodations – Royal Suites were nice. Big bathtub (not Jacuzzi style) and shower. The walls are not really thick and you can hear folks walking down to their rooms and opening and closing the door. It was not a big issue. Room was worth upgrade. We heard the normal rooms were the same, so it was nice to have only adults next to us and not have to listen to kiddies.

Service – Guest Services was great. Daily cleaning service was good. Beach Activity guys were great. Bartenders/Waiters completely hit or miss. Several times I had to get up after like 5 minutes to get water. I completely realize it is another culture and they are not as fast paced as Americans……however it is annoying. The worst example of the service was at Rainbow Garden for lunch. My husband chose buffet, I chose to order from the lunch menu. My husband went to buffet, I waited for a server to take my order. Asked another server if they could help and said they would get our server. Still….no server. My husband returned and finished his meal as I sat there with the menu in front of me. A server walked by, back to me, and grabbed the menu and started walking away. I stopped her and finally after 15+ menus was able to place my order.

Food and Beverage manager – A JOKE. We were at Piccolo Mondo and he was asking how everyone’s meal was. When he got to our table he said “hello” then his phone rang, he answered, walked away and never came back, but went to other tables!! Another incident, he saw us leave the Docksiders as the food was not appetizing to us. We went there as we were really hungry and our Rainbow reservation was not until 8. So, instead of eating undesirable food we left and went to wait for our reservation. He saw us waiting outside Rainbow Room and asked if we were just in Docksiders, we said yes, but did not care for food so we are going to eat here. Instead of saying, “Sorry, let me make sure you get a table, etc.” he responded, “it is busy in there you should go to the grill up the street.” SERIOUSLY? Thankfully we did had a reservation and could tell him to bugger off.

Food – I read another review that said “you are in the Caribbean, do not expect NYC fine dining.” I had this in mind, HOWEVER the food was BAD for the most part. Cold food on the hot buffet line. Vienna sausages offered in the buffet (gross). Although you could get hot dogs/burgers throughout the day, there really was no way to have a snack anytime unless you bought it from the store. Breakfast was by far the best meal as you can order omelets and eggs. I have been to several all inclusives, in addition to cruises, this was the worst. Piccolo Mondo was not worth the extra $70 for the food nor the okay service,

Drinks – hit or miss. In the Jacaranda bar I saw middle shelf liquor. HOWEVER, throughout the property it seemed to be all well drinks.

Activities – non-motorized water sports were nice. BE FOREWARNED…do NOT take out a HOBIE if you don’t know what you are doing!!! We went on the catamaran for $92 pp on our last day and that was worth every penny. Another day we rented a car and went to Stingray City and the Caribbean side. We went to a place called “The Nest.” It was a beach hut restaurant and was our best meal of the entire trip. It was a little pricey, but worth every dime. You can also go to the beach there and they have nice clean bathrooms. Renting a car was much more cost efficient ($92 per day) than taking taxis to the different locations. Driving on the left hand side was NOT an issue. Only small issue was it seemed the local drivers like to play chicken and will try to squeeze you off the road. The cars are marked as rentals!

5 Thank sands2008
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at the St. James's Club. We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

We are disappointed that your vacation experience did not meet your expectations. We work very diligently to accomodate a wide variety of guests. This includes restaurants that serve an array of local and international favorites. We realize that dining is subjective which is why we create menu options to please every palate.

Based on TripAdvisor reviews, and our guest surveys the vast majority of our guests provide very positive comments and the St. James's Club and we work very hard to ensure that all our guests enjoy a wonderful Caribbean holiday.

We do hope that we can once again host you when considering a fun-filled Caribbean vacation.
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This was our second trip to St James, and sadly will be our last. Standards have definitely slipped since we were there 2 years ago. We stayed in a Royal Suite as we did last time, towels are now ripped and faded, bed linen looks old and the mattress show signs of age. The bar that was being refurbished last time we were there is finished, but its awful, who designed the interior.
The dress code has slipped, gents are eating dinner in flip flops and shorts, if that's the policy, that's fine, but state it. The food quality that was very good last time has slipped to mediocre now. However the Picolo Mondo continues to be good. My wife used the spa, and that was also good.
The catamaran trip that was so good before, has been dropped in favour of a larger boat, you either love it or hate it. Overall I would say that St James club has dumbed down a couple of notches, and, sadly it will be our last visit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rob C
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us at the St. James's Club. We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us as a way to continuously improve our guests' experience.

We are sorry that your vacation did not meet your expectations. The vast majority of our guests truly enjoy all aspects of the resort from accomodations activities, the variety of dining options as well as our gracious and hospitable staff.

We do hope that when considering a sun-filled Caribbean vacation that we may once again host you.
London
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Myself and family (including three children aged 14,16,18) stayed at St James's club week of 12th April 2014 and we thought it was excellent.

Peak season but two great beaches that were not at all packed and always easy to get a sun bed on. Coco's Beach open to the east, a bit wilder, but nice and breezy so you don't swealter, the other one (Mamora Bay Beach) is completely still and on a pretty bay so if the wind gets too much (later afternoon) on Coco's beach you just walk a minute across the peninsula and bob's your uncle. Good sundowner bar on the sheltered beach for late afternoon drinks. Great water sports facilities including 6 hobi-cat catermerans that we brilliant and always easy to get on the day via a simple booking rota. Also I should mention 4 very nicely maintained tennis courts which again were easy to get on if you were prepared to go a little of the peak time of day. Very good snorkelling if you keep going around the right hand edge of Coco's beach - I saw sting rays, loads of lobsters, baracuda, octopus. The visibility improves the further you go around and it felt very safe as there was NO current (because if you look there is actually a big reef surrounding this beach about 1 km out).

yes the food is buffet style but it was incredibly good in all of the three resaurants - absolutely tonnes of variety and choice (wife and one daughter are veggie), totally fresh food and changed the whole range changed pretty much every day in each. Service is chilled but good (this is the Caribbean right!) anyone reviewing the service as poor is obviously more used to dining at Claridges and likes it stuffy (no thanks).

DIVING
One thing I must mention is how good the diving is around here. I had heard from friends that the diving in Antigua is nothing special but they obviously didn't go to Mamora Bay to do it. We have dived all over the world including Bali, Borneo and the Maldives and I can honestly say the diving in this part of Antigua is comparable.

The coral isn't quite as spectacular, true (although it's still pretty good), but the other topology is actually more spectacular (massive fissures, caves, etc). The visibility was unbelievable (40m) and whilst we may have got a bit lucky as well as the normal Jacks, barracuda, etc we saw big reef sharks, eagle rays on 3 of 5 dives, and even a really big (8') Lemon Shark - although in fairness this was the first time Linda (the rather excellent instructor) had seen one there and she has been running the shop for years! Myself and my daughter did our Advanced PADI certificate over two days with Linda/Mamora Bay Divers and I honestly cannot recommend them highly enough. Totally safe, incredibly confident and competent, totally patient and approachable (not too cool for school like some diving outfits I have come across).
IN SHORT, WE GIVE MAMORA BAY DIVERS 11 out of 10. Sincerely, if you stay at St James Club and you dive already or are thinking of doing your PADI... DO IT. Can be a little hard to track down their contact details so here is their email address. They are very responsive; mamorabaydivers@candw.ag.

BEST ROOMS
Ground floor rooms in Mango and/or Papaya blocks. Not expensive rooms but central to resort, huge with fantastic beds, and the GROUND floor rooms in these two blocks have their own steps (going from their slightly raised on stilt balconies) straight on to Coco's beach. Absolutely brilliant.

OTHER STUFF
Also if you have ever seen the Kevin Bacon advert for EE and fancied leading a massive conga of hundreds of people to a great reggae band ...then Shirley Heights just near the resort is your place on a Sunday night. I got my chance and it was great - I just wish someone had filmed it!!

Enjoy St James's Club - I would be amazed if you didn't.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms in Mango and/or Papaya blocks. Not expensive rooms but central to resort, huge wi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ralphtribe
shropshire
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We had a great family holiday. Although on arrival we were told the hotel was full and we had been upgraded. We were a little dubious having booked 2 beach front rooms as my son & 4 yr old grandson were with us.. It turned out that we were given a beautiful villa on Mamora Bay.This was truly breathtaking.2 large bedrooms both with bathrooms & showers.kitchen/dining room/lounge, patio +BBQ. 4 steps and on the beach. Fully equipped even with children's toys etc. watching the sun set was amazing. the setting was like breathtaking and would recommend anyone asking for an upgrade to a villa. The bay was shallow and calm. Ideal from babies to adults. Had we been in the beach front rooms they are on the Atlantic side where the sea is very rough and not ideal with children. Basically a room with a bathroom small patio or balcony. Would not have liked being in one of those. Not worth the extra money.
The meals were ok and a little repetitive.not much entertainment and everything seemed to close down around 10pm. We all had a lovely holiday but felt that the staff could has been a little less robotic and made an effort to get to know there guests. On leaving I don't think any member of staff except our maid even knew we had stayed there. Would return to the island but not this hotel.Thoroughly recommend the Excellence Catermaran trip with snorkelling that was wonderfull. The staff were friendly great atmosphere lunch was delicious snorkelled on a deserted beach or lazed around for a while before cruising back. A relaxing holiday in a lovely setting but not able to walk anywhere off site and around 40 mins to get anywhere by taxi. Need to know anymore please ask me. We stayed for 8 days before flying on to Barbados to see more Cricket which was lovely my review on the Turtle Beach in Barbados is well worth reading and worth a 5* rating.hope you enjoyed my report and should you go have a lovely time. We have lots of happy memories of our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a villa if you have children.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank RO49
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Just want to say "Thank you" for a wonderful week at St James Club the week of Feb 8th, 2014. We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary so we were upgraded to a beautiful Royal Suite overlooking Mamora Bay! It was breathtaking! The entire resort was beautiful, the food was amazing, and the staff were incredible. A special "thanks" to Pearl in the main dining room, she went out of her way to make us feel special. Loved every minute of every day at St James Club. Would love to visit again some day!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,245 reviews

Been to St. James's Club & Villas? Share your experiences!