“Returned for the third time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. James's Club & Villas

St. James's Club & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mamora Bay
surrey
“Returned for the third time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Once again we have had a wonderful holiday at st James club. Apart from a minor problem with the room maid , we had a lovely time. Alfred kept us supplied with refreshments on the beach. Rogers made great BBC s in the reef bar every evening. Also the dockside restaurant looked after use most evenings.
What more can I say. My husband will be back with my son in June and hopefully with me in September. Thank you Rob Barrett for a lovely resort.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank eghamcb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (970)
  • Greek first
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

Hi everyone,
My Family and I spent New Years at St. James and I apologize for such a delayed review. I have read many reviews even after our trip and decided to slightly alter my "tone" of this review. Change is always good.

Overall, we had a wonderful time & I would like to break down my review as follows:

1) If you are expecting Beaches Resort type grounds.. you wont find it here.
2) If you are expecting luxury, marble floors and flowers everywhere... you wont find it here.
3) If you are expecting Bars and full service on the beach... you wont find it here.
4) If you are expecting loud disco music pool side, organized bingo and such... you wont find this here.
5) If you are expecting nightly entertainment...oh boy, you wont find this here either.

What will you find ?

A beautiful, large and clean resort with polite and courteous staff. Now to the details:
We took two adjoining rooms and got them on ground level. My travel agent called to reconfirm this 24 hours before we arrived and at check in the Lady at the front desk remembered her call.

The rooms were basic but frankly nothing was missing. My Wife in fact loved the dresser which the TV sat on. I'm one of those men that lives out of a suitcase for a week whereas my Wife unpacks everything. And Wife was happy lol

Bathrooms were super and HUGE. large sink, toilet and giant tub. genuinely a very large space which was superb and lots of towels. There were the hotel's products but we usually bring our own anyway. But I loved their soap bars..

We had a router for internet in one of the two rooms. I paid the $50 for the week which allowed 2 or 3 machines to be hooked up. There is free wifi in the hotel lobby and I must confess I have never understood folks who pay so much $ for a 7 or 14 day vacation, yet its the $50 that just upsets them so much. I was surfing the Web, downloading my emails from the comfort of my room and balcony and not running to the lobby all day. My personal choice.

Our rooms had large sliding glass windows with very safe children locks on them.. A small balcony with 5 steps to the beach, We were on the beach.. simply amazing. I cant stress this enough. Never did I feel like I have to rush out of the room as essentially room is on the beach (atlantic side). Breeze was incredible.

We would walk about 125 feet at most to the other beach (bay) and that's where water was calm like a bath tub, and all the free water sports were offered. To be able to take my 8yr old and 11 yr old kayaking for me was tremendous. The Staff on the beach were always kind and not once did I get grief.

My only request to them would be to dunk the life vests in bleach once in a while. If you have your own from home BRING THEM. Some of the vests really stank..

So we spent 1/2 day at the Atlantic side and the other 1/2 at the bay side.

There is a SMALL hut/grill on the bay side. Don't waste your time.. food quality (burgers/dogs) is pathetic and they take sometimes 25 for a hot dog. I tried it once and said to myself "never again". The lunch buffet is only 3 minutes walk.. why be upset ?

Also, full bar on the beach is simply non existent. There is a nice guy in a golf cart and some days he was always around, and others he wasn't. What kind of drinks can you have from the back of a golf cart ?.. You guessed it.. So I stuck to water which wasn't a bad thing.

We do Beaches resorts every year and so I feel our standards for food are high. The St. James did not disappoint at all. Their breakfast/lunch/dinner buffets are not huge by any standard.. But there is quality served. We all enjoyed our food there.

I celebrated my Bday and another evening at the dress up restaurant (Piccolo Mondo)). There is a $30 or $40 per person add on. Food superb and so was service.

We were always treated very nicely and frankly I don't have a single complaint.

One topic which I try to include in some of my reviews is gratuities. I have said this before many times.. These folks work so hard for us.. we eat, ask and ask and then push back and walk away. I am a firm believer in proper tipping even and especially in all inclusive resorts. When you spend 11.5k for a week, an extra $300-$400 does not make any difference. But I assure you that your level of service will be improved drastically. We tipped at breakfast/lunch/dinner and goodness the great service turned into royal service. Again, my choice.

I actually met the head chef there and he was kind enough to prepare for me their waffle mix recipe.. amazing and I make it @ home now.

I asked my family if they would like to return back next year & the answer was a resounding YES.

Last but not least.. After dinner, there is frankly nothing to do. Entertainment (when its available) consists of school girls dancing (they are actually good lol) and they get audience to join.. and a fire breather. Yup that's it.

majority of guests during our week there were from Europe (UK). The nicest people I have ever met. Also, it was nice to hear that many have returned there 3,4,8 times. Says a lot.

We will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ShawnShamgar
candyland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We are not capricious, but... Our trip to Antigua, St James Club is going to be hard to depict the unpleasant experience. Started from checking in we have been told that they have reservation for us for dinner, it was buffet. We had to wait to next day to hear what this resort offers - orientation. I came to them before orientation and I could tell that it was not ok, I was not welcome. Most of the staff but maybe 4 people were so rude, non-attentive and acted annoyed anytime you ask question, placed an order, or asked for a drink or where the towels might be. They also did not specify their price quotes, we were initially told that a taxi into St Johns was $30 round trip but once we returned the taxi driver told us it was $50! They have a brochure, not very well kept room describing when each restaurant & bar opens, what they serve, etc. So we went to Coco's at the time the brochure stated they were open and the staff member LIED to us and said they weren't open for another hour as they all sat at the top eating and chatting. Not only did she lie, she was rude about it and the rest of our stay there she acted like we did something to her every time she was our waitress/server. Also, just advise - get drinks yourself, we saw club soda was mixed with beer, may be someone ordered that way? The food was OK but many dishes bland, very limited fruits and vegetables options (at Caribbean!). The only restaurant you must make reservations for and pay $35 surcharge is definitely NOT worth it. Save your money and grab some lobster at home, this restaurant offers HALF a lobster tail ... and if you weren't going all inclusive it would be $45 for that meal.
The amenities were basically nonexistent. The late night shows consisted of teenage girls dancing inappropriately while wearing close to nothing. It was very distasteful and not at all entertaining. We felt like we were stuck with nothing to do for an entire week.
Buildings in the resort are outdated. We were staying in Mango building on first floor. The room was terrible. The AC, mounted above the bed, periodically leaked and didn’t ever really fully work, it never got cool in the room even after calling the front desk twice and having someone come out and "fix" it. The screen door was almost impossible to open and the front door lock wouldn't open easily until we put butter into the keyhole!! Our room was not cleaned on Sunday even after we complained to service desk.
Seriously, if you are looking for a place to kick back and really get the all-inclusive experience, this is NOT the place. If you want anything, and I mean anything in a bottle you have to pay for it. Beer, wine, WATER. Yes, no water other than faucet water that has a very strange taste.
If your are younger this is not your choice. There was almost no one there between the ages of 20-40. This resort is also part of a chain, there are 3 in total owned by the same people on the Island, so really do your research before booking any of them.
The last and worst part of the trip was that they sprayed the resort against something while we were there but I guess it didn't do the trick - something bit my father’s hand, which continued to swell for days after we left. It was awful and scary and I couldn't be happier to have left this place. I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone else.

The best things were sun, ocean, send, wind, view, and watersports were free, the resort did not advertised that.

Room Tip: location of the room was great - Atlantic ocean side, sun and wind
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank selodka
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the St. James's Club. We’re concerned about the range of problems you experienced at our resort during your visit. We accommodate many guests, and strive to make their stay a most satisfying one. We greatly appreciate our guests sending in their comments. We see the gift of feedback as an opportunity to consistently improve our guest's experience while with us.

We pride ourselves on providing guests with accommodation in a genuine, unpretentious environment where they can enjoy a one of a kind Caribbean experience. The.goal of our resort is to provide dependable service to all of our guests, and we have been able to achieve this over the years. Because our success is measured by how our guests, evaluate our service and facilities, we want you to know that your comments have been taken seriously.

Please be assured that the issues you have mentioned have been reviewed and addressed. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from reoccurring. Again we are sorry you did not feel you experienced The St. James's Club genuine hospitality which we are known for, and can only hope you give us the opportunity to do a better job in the near future.
Collingwood, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband and I just came back from a wonderful weeks vacation at this fantastic resort. We were there as part of a large group and they took great care of us. The food was very nice and the accommodation clean, tidy and spacious. The beaches were very clean and well stocked with loungers and umbrellas and even though the resort was busy we never had to fight to get a seat in the shade. The same goes for the pools which were clean and well stocked with loungers.

If I had one criticism it would be the internet, which was appalling! The hotspots were to be frank cold and sometimes did not work at all and when the wifi did work it was so slow no-one could download anything and I struggled to even download and send my emails. I paid for wifi service in my room and for 2 days out of 7 was unable to get any service. As someone that needs to work while on vacation this was very frustrating and I understand this has been an ongoing issue for this resort, which they really need to address as a matter of urgency. It would be the one thing that would stop me going back to the resort.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Emma R
Heathrow area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Spent a week at St James Club Antigua late Jan 2014. We stayed in one of the St James Suites. The room was stunning, large, well fitted out with beautiful views. I have added a couple of photos, one is the view from our balcony. The resort is well laid out split between an ocean facing beach (breezy) and a cove facing beach (non breezy). The Royal Suites are all facing the non breezy cove. The food was good quality and they made a great effort to vary the menu each evening. There are several places to eat as well as a bookable restaurant and one with an additional charge. (didn't get round to that one). The entertainment was first class and varied each evening. The drinks are branded. All non motorised water sports are free. All in all a great stay and we will visit again.
There are lots of places to visit on Antigua but if you are just there to relax and don't want to do too much I would suggest a Sunday evening trip to Shirley Heights (steel bands, Reggie and rum) (the hotel will arrange transport and collection) and maybe a visit to St Johns (the capital).

Room Tip: If planning a visit suggest get a map of the resort from their web site and pick your room type from...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank HeathrowBill
Amityville, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

In reading other reviews of this resort & Looking at it's web site. I wonder was this same resort that I recently stayed at..
I'm not a fussy traveler. Leaving a New York brutal winter. All I really wanted was Sun & relaxation a clean room some decent food & drink.... Well read on.

I have just recently stayed at the St. James Club, Antigua. Dates Jan, 27,2014- Feb. 3, 2014. First in Room 111 than Rm 170.

Let me first start by saying that I feel Antigua is a very beautiful island , local people are very friendly & informative.

Your resort in Antigua the grounds are most spacious & beautiful. Your staff is always very friendly will go the extra mile to try to help out.

That's the positive.

On arrival to our Rm. 111. It was found to be dated ( not matching the picture on your web site) Room had a dusty smell, bedspread very drab color with pulls in bedspread & blanket on bed. Floor very dirty had to re wash feet after shower , walking on floor bottom of feet became dirtier than they where before shower.

Next day we asked for a room change . Spoke with Prince who stated that he was the manager. Told us that there where no rooms at that time , but he work on it for us. It took 2 days to get us a room change. Which we where charged for . Told that this was a room up grade.

The only difference that we noticed was that 1. the room was on a higher level. 2. it was a cleaner room. .

We where 3 in this room everyday we had to ask for a 3rd washcloth to shower with. I would think that Housekeeping would get it after a day or 2 of asking that there where 3 in the room. Lack of communication on housekeeping staff. By end of stay we just got tired of "the battle of the wash cloth" one of us made do without. We are suppose be on vacation relaxing not having to ask for something that just makes common sense !

2. Meals & drinks

A. you have to make reservation for dinner every night unless you choice buffet ( which was very below standard) Scary looking in fact. Only ate there once 1st night had salad & wine.

No one ever explained at check in that you had to make reservation for La Crate dinner every night . We kind of found this out by default of not having one. I understand the specialty dinning needing a reservation.( Which was very good.) Did find it hard to explain my food allergy to them.

Dinner reservations was always a problem with time available unless you wanted to get up at crack of dawn day before to make one, or I called on Manager Prince to help me out. Once again I must say I'm on vacation trying to relax should not be a battle.

B. You state on your web site that you are all inclusive. I felt it was more like 3 meals a day served along with afternoon tea.

I understand all inclusive to be snack & eating all day long. ( At least I didn't gain weight LOL). Only place to get a snack was in gift shop which you did have to pay for.

C. Your afternoon Tea was lukewarm tea or coffee with the scone of the day.

D. You also state the you serve premium liquor. Found to be all bottom self label except in your specialty restaurant which I did get better liquor served on request.

On positive note I must say that in your la Crate dinner your chef Glenn was excellent. I do have food allergy. He was the only that I felt listen to my food allergy. He would come out of kitchen every night to discuss with me. Wow at least some one is getting it.

I'm sadden to be so negative because your resort on the outside is so beautiful (grounds) It is rated 5 star which does not meet that standard.

Would I return to Antigua? Yes Definitely.

Any of your resorts not sure . Hope I hear from The Resort to change my mind

Room Tip: Ask for villa or Suites. All rooms very dated. There Standard or Deluxe room are well below standar...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Junestar622
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the St. James's Club. We greatly value the gift of feedback as a way to continuously improve our guests' experience.

We are sorry that you were disappointed with the dining options. The St. James's Club boasts 4 restaurants serving a wide variety of local and international favorites to please every palate. Dining hours vary by restaurant but there is always a snack or meal to be had throughout the day. In addition, we have four bars dotting the resort offering a alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.

The vast majority of guests, as evidenced in our guest surveys and online forums truly enjoy the cuisine at the St. James's Club.

We do hope that when considering another fun-filled Caribbean vacation that we may once again host you and treat you to the hospitable and memorable vacation experience that we are known for.
Wynne, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I and another couple stayed at St James Club February 1-8, 2014. This resort is absolutely beautiful and the grounds are well maintained. We had a beachfront room on the second floor of the Mango building and the view of the Atlantic Ocean was spectacular (but faced the east so sunrise awoke us each day). The room was spacious and the bathroom was spacious as well with only a large walk-in shower. We had a balcony that had lounge chairs and two plastic chairs with a small table. The grounds are expansive but easy to navigate and I enjoyed walking each morning for exercise and the minute-to-minute view was very enjoyable. There is a hillside one can climb (if in good shape, because it is steep) adjacent to the property that affords a breath-taking view of the resort below and the ocean. There is a "windward" beach that is nice when hot and a "leeward" beach on the Caribbean side where the water is calm and there is much less wind. We were on an "all inclusive" plan but there are some extra charges for things that may not occur at other all inclusive resorts. The food was varied and good. There are only 4 restaurants and one of them, Piccolo Mondo, which is only open for dinner was closed 2 evening while we there. However, even thought Piccolo Mondo requires a $35 per person up charge for people on the all inclusive plan, we though the food, service and atmosphere worth the additional charge. This was probably one of the nicest dining experiences I have ever had. Although there are plenty of on-site recreations--spa,tennis, hobie cats, paddle boats, etc,, when I vacation, I am looking for a relaxing, "do nothing," restful experience and I thought this resort was perfect for that.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Atlantic side have wind and are facing east (sun comes in early morning) but have great...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,209 reviews

Been to St. James's Club & Villas? Share your experiences!