Spent a week at St James's and returned last week. Here is a summary of the positives and areas for improvements for this resort.
The location of this resort is fantastic. It is a large resort but doesn't feel busy and corporate as some larger resorts do. The beach is beautiful, we spent most of our time at the mamora bay section, we liked the jetty as you get the beach location but don't get covered in sand. There are plenty of sunbeds, no need to fight for them and plenty of areas for shade.
On the beach you can get drinks from the guy in the buggy or there are 2 bars where you can get a drink from. One of these also does food so if you don't fancy lunch in the restaurant you can get a snack on the beach.
Watersports are excellent, a good range and the staff are helpful. There are also 3 floats in the sea, you swim out a short distance and then you can relax on the floats.
We stayed in a standard room. The bedroom was nice, air con and ceiling fan keep it nice and cool. The bathroom was a little outdated but from my understanding they are refurbishing. We had a nice balcony and a good view. I'm sure the suites are nicer but for the amount of time spent in the room I'm not sure we would pay extra for a superior room.
The food was very nice, a good choice - not as much choice as some others resorts but what they had was good quality and it varied each night with different themes. We liked that you have the option for buffet or a la carte depending on your choice of restaurant.
Lots of choice of drinks, great cocktails and tea and coffee available all day.
Areas for improvement
We found some of the staff to be a little....unhappy. Some were great singing along and happy to chat but others were the opposite. A few times we observed staff having frustrated conversations with each other in front of guests. At times the service needed improvements. On the first day we were seated and nothing explained to us. We were given a menu and left to it. We went to the buffet and ended up asking for drinks. On other days service was great but at several times during the week it was similar to day one.
As previously mentioned the bathroom could do with some updating.
The room fridge could do with some drinks, even just non alcoholic drinks so you can have a drink in your room.
A few tips:
Don't need to pack your hairdryer, there is one available in the room
You need to book for dinner ( we loved the docksider but it does get busy so book in the morning for that evening)
Dress code is smart so long trousers for men (smart shorts seemed to be ok)
The weather was great didn't feel too hot due to the breeze but really powerful sun so don't be fooled
Overall - A great hotel in a lovely location. Could be exceptional with a few extra features and updates and a bit of work on some of the service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the All-Inclusive St. James's Club & Villas, Antigua's most famous address. This beautiful resort is ideally located on a private, 100-acre peninsula. You will love our two white sand beaches, water sports, tennis, four restaurants, indoor and outdoor bars, beach bar & grill, luxurious spa & salon, freshwater swimming pools, supervised Kids Club, wide array of water sports, Scuba diving, and so much more. One of the Caribbean's most popular all-inclusive resorts. Excellent for couples, honeymooners, families, and friends. Located just minutes from major attractions like English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, and the lively Shirley Heights. Our warm and welcoming staff and management team will make your stay wonderful and memorable. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsforEveryone, Booking.com, Travelocity, West Indies, BookIt.com and Jetsetter so you can book your St. James's Club & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. James`s Club Hotel Mamora Bay
- St James Club Antigua
- St Jamess Hotel
- St Jamess Resort
- St James Antigua
- St Jamess Club Antigua
- St. James's Club & Villas Antigua/Mamora Bay