“Best Vacation!!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mamora Bay
Guelph
“Best Vacation!!!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My Mom and I went to the St James Club from April 21st-28th, we had an amazing time. I can't say enough nice things about the Staff!! Troy at the Dockside Restaurant was very pleasant we also had the pleasure of meeting Bryan O'Neil who was also very helpful. Sharon Hunte took us around to show us properties and her bubbly personality made it a GREAT experience!

We did the Catamaran tour which I highly recommend! We also took a shuttle from the resort to St John Duty Free Shopping which was great!

I stayed in room 302 which was on the ground floor, at first I wasn't sure how I liked being on the main floor but the walk out deck onto the beach was PERFECT! I hope to be back in November.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Allison_Rach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Greek first
Calgary,Alberta
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We held our destination wedding at the SJC in April 2008. We promised ourselves that we would return for a vist on our 5th anniversary.We stayed from April 14-19th.

We booked our flights with Westjet and at the time that we did the SJC was not one of their featured resorts so we booked our room through WIOL. We arrived to the resort at aprox. 3:15 pm and we're greeted with the choice of lemonade or sparkling wine. Prince from guest services greeted us with a big smile and welcomed us back to the SJC. I had preregistered online so our check-in was fast.

We had booked a premium room and were placed in the bougainvillia building on the second floor. We arrived to find a bottle of rum and two chilled cans of coke in the fridge along with a filled ice bucket welcoming us back. We then opened the fridge to find two chilled glasses and a bottle of sparkling wine and a fruit place.They had also placed two plates, straws, cutlery and napkins in the room to enjoy our treats. There were also two cards, one welcoming us back to the resort and one wishing us a happy anniversary.

We had a great view of the reef from our balcony as we overlooked the reef view suites. The room was very clean and we never once had to request anything from housekeeping other than needing an extra pillow .( We both like to sleep with two !)

The bath tub was huge and a bit awkward to get in and out off, thank goodness for the access bar on the wall. I have rheumatiod arthritis and would have had to sit on the "ledge" if not for the bar to get in and out.

We noticed many improvements since our last visit. All the tile in the lobby and main areas have been upgraded, patio furniture in the tea / coffeee area has been upgraded, new lobby furniture, total reno to the jacaranda lounge,many more scheduled activities throughout the day and the guest services area has been moved off to the alcove area.

There have also been changes to the restaurants.The docksider is now buffet only and they have relaxed the dress code for the men here to collared shirts and smart dress shorts.You can now dine here without a reservation.

The Royale Suites were being built on our last visit so we enjoyed checking out all the new pools and lounging areas next to them.

The rainbow garden is still the main breakfast restaurant a long with being the nightly a la carte restaurant ( reservations can be booked the day before at guest services.)

We had our anniversay dinner at the surcharge restaurant Piccolo Mondo and it was as wonderful as we remembered it to be ! (We had our wedding dinner here and the food and service was great and it's still the same ! )

We did venture to Coco's beach one afternoon and had lunch at Coco's, it was the only meal where we found the service and food not to be up to par with the rest of the resort.

They are also offering snorkeling trips from the resort along with a catamaran tour through the watersports desk.

We noticed that most of the watersports equipment has been upgraded along with the beach on Mamora Bay. On our last visit the bottom was " mucky'' to walk on with quite a bit of seaweed in areas. On this visit we found it to be upgraded with a designated swimming area that was sandy under foot and the addition of water "trampolines" to lounge on.

Famous Alfred is still there serving drinks on the beach. His personality is fantastic and he remembers what you like to drink after your first order.

While staying at the SJC we ventured off the resort to take in Shirley Heights, Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour, the Donkey Sanctuary and a trip to Half Moon Bay. We loved them all ! We were so busy with the wedding and our guests on our last trip that we didn't get off the resort except to do the Treasure Island full island cruise with our guests.

We found there to be a great mix of couples, families and seniors. The resort has something for everyone.

Overall we would return in a heartbeat ! I made sure to have a club special everyday as it was our favorite drink on our last trip along with adding the "miami vice" in this trip...yummy !!!

If you're looking to relax and unwind the SJC is the place. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and if we return again again we would love to stay in the new Royale Suites...

2 Thank Canadianbride
Mersea Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was our first visit to Antigua. We experienced a warm welcome on arrival at the St James Club and were impressed by the gardens and views of the sea from the complex and our room. Our room was very well appointed; likewise the bathroom, though unfortunately the toilet appeared to have a mind of it's own and at times would be in permanent flushing mode, or not flush at all which was irritating. This difficulty did not get resolved during our stay, despite the attentions of the helpful hotel engineer. Both beaches offered excellent bathing, bars and other facilities (although the quieter beach was more windy). Beautifully kept gardens surround the complex and staff everywhere were friendly, helpful and courteous. There are three restaurants at the hotel but we used the Docksider and the Rainbow Garden restaurants. For a 4-star facility we found the food in both disappointing. There was a range of fish and meat but my husband is a vegetarian and there was a limit to what was on offer for him, as well as some rather odd combinations (for example tofu lasagne). At times the food was only just warm enough to eat and the vegetables undercooked; the range of fruit and vegetables on offer was unimpressive. Breakfast and lunch were good, but generally dinner was a bit of a let-down. There were a number of bars within the complex all of which were accommodating and pleasant but many drinks were served with too much ice which spoiled them - especially soft drinks. However there was a good range of cocktails available as well as beers and bubbly.

This holiday was enjoyable and relaxing, and as regards sea and sand, very good, but for an 'all-inclusive' break I would not necessarily recommend the St James Club for value for money. I would recommend it to friends, particularly those with children, but more for it's excellent gardens, beaches and wide range of activities on offer rather than for a gastronomic experience.

Room Tip: Most rooms are in good locations although one facing the beach is better
USA
Reviewed April 27, 2013

If you want to lie on the beach, occasionally rising to cool off in the water or to grab a drink, this is the perfect place. St. James's Club has two nice beaches, though the side of the Atlantic ocean is a little windy. Some people also like to reserve big groups of chairs and not occupy them the entire day, which is more than a little annoying, to say the least. There are also activities for the more active: there is a water sports shack, tennis courts, and some exercise classes in the morning. We also visited the spa and got massages on an open platform overlooking the bay--so beautiful!

The biggest drawback of this place is the food. It's not terrible, but it's not great either. They try very hard to change up the menus every day, which can lead to some odd dishes. The breakfast is good though—the omelettes are excellent—and the lunch is fine as well.

The hotel is about 40 minutes away from the airport. You can plan tours of the island and more adventurous activities, but if you want to stay in a self-contained resort, St. James's is a good place. I was very appreciative of how eco-friendly they are: in addition to the typical towel reuse policy, they have the AC shut off when you leave a door open, and they have their own water treatment plant (Note: the water does taste a little chlorine-y). The staff are fabulous and very concerned with making sure you enjoy your stay. My favorite perk was the drink buggy: a guy who drove around in a golf cart with a cooler on the back serving drinks. The all-inclusive rate might seem steep, but when you can access unlimited food and drink for almost the entire day, it's pretty worth it. I'm not likely to return simply because I enjoy finding new destinations, but they have built up a very loyal customer base, both couples and families, who return every year.

If you're looking for a relaxing beach vacation, this is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: The "beachfront" rooms are quite nice and are a little quieter. If you're travelling w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to St. James's Club Morgan Bay.

While we greatly appreciate the many very positive comments you provided we are sorry to hear that you wre disappointed with the food. The vast majority of our guests truly enjoy the dining experience at St. James's Club Morgan Bay. We have five distinct dining experiences to choose from which offer quality, fresh ingredients in a varietty of settings. Guests can enjoy international cuisine at the Palms Restaurant, fresh grilled seafood at Morgan's Pier Restaurant, French Creole at the elegantly appointed Le Jardin and a bevy of lighter fare at the Palm Tree Bar & Grille on the Family Pool Deck...literally something for everyone.

We do hope that when you are considering another fun-filled Caribbean vacation you return so that we may welcome you back with our geniuine warmth and hospitality.
Wilmslow
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We travelled from 3rd until 18th April.

This was our first time in Antigua, although we have visited other islands in the Carribean several times, including Jamaica, Barbados and St Lucia on an all inclusive package, also Bali, Mexico and different states of America. I would consider St James to be up there with some of the best for customer service. Where we stayed in St Lucia and Mexico were also exceptional (I think our St Lucia accommodation was an Elite Hotel too.)

We found the accommodation was perfect, although we would probably choose a beach front villa on another visit. It had plenty of wardrobe space, good views, and the maid kept it spotless. We never tend to spend much time in our rooms, however like several people have mentioned on Trip Advisor, it would be nice to have a bottle of complimentary mineral water in the fridge even though I believe the tap water is ok. The kitchen facilities were perfect, although we went all inclusive so didn't use anything other than the coffee maker.

The movie room - our boys used a couple of times. They mentioned that a few people complained that the air conditioning was set a little on the cool side, but as the second week of our holiday was after the Easter Holiday, there weren't many teenagers in there.

One of the reviews mentioned about children at the resort. One might consider that if you travel during school holidays, there will almost always be families. Quite simple to travel at another time!

The bar / disco - we visited at some stage most evenings with some of the other guests we met on this vacation. The DJ played some quite random music varying from heavy rock to Abba, to Swing within a short space of time. No doubt he was trying to please diverse tastes and get people dancing, however it was quiet when we were there so not too atmospheric. The DJ seemed very friendly and I am sure if anyone had specific requests, they would have been granted, and you cannot please everyone. The bar staff here were great, friendly and offered prompt service.

The Rainbow - We ate here every morning for breakfast and the staff were all welcoming, helpful and attentive. I am afraid I should have taken some names, but they were all good. The quality of the breakfasts was good. We also ate here on several evenings and had good quality
meals, excellent presentation and good service.

The Reef and Docksider - Excellent choice of buffet and we ate here several times. Again the service was always attentive. Sometimes the food was a little on the cool side, but we have experienced this on several all - inclusive packages so this is nothing unique to St James.
The entertainment was good, we enjoyed the steel bands and singers, and even though it wasn't particularly busy, the artists always did their best to get guest participation with dancing and usually succeeded! It finished a little on the early side, but after talking to several people we understood the reasons why, and as this is a reasonably large resort, all the guests wishes should be respected.

Cocos - We didn't realise at first this was open as it had a rope across the entrance and nobody in it. However we found out in the second week that it was open, just not as popular as the others. We had the fish and chips there early before we visited Shirley Heights, and again the staff were extremely attentive and friendly. The food is pretty basic here so we didn't return.

Piccolo Mondos - Lovely setting, lovely staff and my husband and the teens enjoyed their food. I have to say it wasn't my favourite meal, however I am a particularly fussy eater according to my family. When I left the main course, our waitress appeared mortified that I hadn't enjoyed it and
almost immediately the manageress appeared asking if there was anything she could do. Customer service at this restaurant is exceptional and more than exceeded my expectations.

Mamora Beach Bar - Good service again from everyone during our stay.

Beach BBQ and bar - these ladies were fantastic, I so wish I could remember all their names, Natalie? Natasha? Normally I make a point of remembering the names of the particularly attentive staff for reviews but here at this resort everyone was great.

Pools - we didn't really use, but all well maintained. The adults only pool was very quiet if you are looking for a little privacy.

Beaches - we didn't sit on the Coco's side as my sons and husband wished to do the water sports, volley ball and table tennis/ pool table. Therefore we stayed on the Mamora side. Many resorts we have previously stayed hold a towel policy where you have to account for all the towels, which can be tiresome especially when the boys were younger, and couldn't remember which pool they had left them. This is great where the guests are entrusted to just get fresh ones and deposit the wet ones in the depots for collection to be laundered. However I cannot understand how some towels were placed on sun loungers and never seemed to be used all day. I can only assume there were some guests who had towels on the beach and by the pool and never bothered to collect them. There were sufficient sunloungers to go around, but some of the best spots with sun shades were taken early and never used. Not a fault of the hotel of course. The beach is kept immaculate and all your staff should be commended. I used to get up early every morning and sit on the beach, this seems to be action time for all, sweeping the beds, raking the beach, tending the gardens etc. Almost all the staff asked regularly if we were having a good holiday. The manager regularly does his rounds chatting to the guests and asking for feedback.

Alf - what can I say - all the guests commented whilst I was there, trip advisor reports, and our own experience - I can only say he is considerably missed on his days off! Only in Mexico did we have someone who actually comes to your sun lounger and usually remembers what drinks you are having. A great friendly personality who is an incredible asset to your team.

Water sports - Prior to our arrival, our boys had anticipated this would be a boring holiday as previously we have been to resorts offering waterski-ing. This obviously would have been a bonus, but understandably not practical or permitted at St James. However, they were pleasantly surprised and soon got into the Hobie's and canoes, participating in the Thursday races.They used the table tennis and pool tables with the other teenagers who were there, and couldn't wait until 4 pm for the Volley Ball with Rodney. They were a little disappointed when the football was stopped early due to some airline staff sitting right by the nets who complained about the ball hitting one of them. Most people would consider that sitting by the nets wasn't a particularly good idea, but obviously all guests are treated with respect and rightly so.

Please mention from my husband and boys' a special thanks to Rodney who taught my sons to play volley ball and ensured they had a great time all week (even coming up to see us in reception
at the end of holiday to say goodbye - a nice touch). Also to 'Super Dave', Sean, Jermaine, Nigel 'the gunner' and Shaun. I know we haven't remembered all the watersports boys names, but
a big thank you to all from James, Adam and Christian (the Manchester City fans)

Overall a great vacation thanks to all at St James. We didn't get to go to the cocktail party, but perhaps should have, in order to express our thoughts and thanks to all who put such an effort into making our holiday so special.

Thanks again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank JW147
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My fiancé and I staying at St. James Club from April 7 to April 14, 2013. St. James Club was recommended to us by some friends that staying in January. They told us how amazing their trip was and how well they were treated. We went into the trip with very high expectations and those expectations were easily exceeded during the trip.

A few months prior to the trip, I thought that it would be a perfect time and place to "pop the question" to my girlfriend. I emailed guest services about my plan and John Wetherill was a great help. Everything he sent me was very detailed and he promptly answered any questions that I had. He suggested a private dinner on of the gazebos looking over the water. At the night of the dinner, everything was set up exactly how John described it. We were even surprised with some champagne in our room after our engagement. As mentioned, John was fantastic. He also helped us with our check in and took us directly to our room. We had a great trip, but it is tough to say if it would have been the same without John's help.

The beaches were great. There are plenty of chairs and huts that made the beaches very comfortable. We spent most of our time at the beach in Mamora Bay as we found the Coco's beach to be very windy. The water was very comfortable and the water sports were a lot of fun. There are a few bars close by to get some food and drinks. Also, there was a drink cart that came by fairly frequently to get us drinks. Alfred was the driver and was always extremely nice.

The food was fantastic. We have stayed at other all inclusive resorts and were limited to eating burgers all day as the food was not good. This was definitely not the case at St. James Club. The breakfasts, lunches and dinners at Rainbow Garden were always very good. The Fish burgers and cheese burgers at the Mamora Bay grill were excellent. We had dinner at Picolo Mondo once and the food was fantastic. The restaurant has great service and a great view of the resort. Also, the our private dinner had the food prepared from Picolo Mondo. The steak and lobster were very good. We also enjoyed the daily soups at all of the restaurants. We only went to Coco's Beach Grill once as it was a little further from our room, but the food there was also great. Overall, we were very satisfied with the food and drinks.

The staff were all very nice and friendly. We found them to be very helpful and they always had a smile on their faces. The manager Jeff was frequently seen around the resort to speak with the guests and to make sure all of their needs were taken care of.

Our room was always kept clean and the beds were very comfortable. We were in one of the vacation suites and our room was very spacious. There was a kitchenette and living area with a dining room table. Our bedroom was fairly large and the washroom was also very large with a big shower and two sinks. The most impressive feature about our room was the view of the ocean from our balcony.

There were plenty of excursions that were offered. We decided to go on the Catamaran that St. James Club had. It was a four hour trip and we had unlimited drinks, we went snorkeling for about 45 minutes and we also went to a beach for 45 minutes for some swimming. The captain Andy and his crew were friendly and they made the excursion very enjoyable.

We absolutely loved our trip. It was extremely hard to go back to the real world after we were so comfortable and treated so well at St. James Club. We definitely will be going back.

1 Thank Tom L
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Antigua has a lot of poverty and that fact explains a lot of our experience, but truth be told this has been a mixed experience at best. We have traveled for twenty years in the Carribean and love many of the islands. The St James is a good place to go if you want to eat a lot of plain, high carb food and sit around. The room was nice and had a pretty view, but the restaurants serve what you would expect at a college dorm or low cost all you can eat buffet. Eggs were not kept chilled before being cooked, an issue in a multi hour buffet. We saw glasses being washed and dried without hot water and soap in the rooms. The reused glasses in the restaurants and outdoor bars were not carefully cleaned, we were glad for our Hepatitis vaccinnations! We got sick several times before learning to avoid salads and cut fresh fruit. There was a smell of sewage in various areas of the resort much of the time, sometimes quite strong. Walkways were uneven and there are accessibility and safety issues. Staff was quarrelsome with one another. They spoke in the lovely dialect of the island, but quietly. Management made cursory stops to inquire as to whether all was well, not bothering to make eye contact or seek a real reply. Activities included hobie cats you take out for a brief half hour and a snorkel trip to a murky reef with a lot of dead coral. There were also some plastic kayaks and windsurfers. Due to the tensions over intellectual property it is hard to download books and movies. The Internet service is slow at the resort.

Room Tip: Royal suite was nice.
2 Thank FrogFence
GuestAmbassador01, General Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your feedbnack on yr recent stay. Guest comments are very important to us as we strive to deliver a stellar vacation experience and work hard to consistently improve all aspects of the resort.

St. James Club Antigua offers four distinct dining experiences with a wide variety of high huality fesh food which reflects the wonderful cuisiine of the Caribbean as well as international flavors and style. In addition, we have four lounges and bars offering a variety of cocktails, wines, fruit punch and soda. The vast majority of our guests truly enjoy the culinary experience at the resort which they typically highlight in surveys and online reviews.

Our staff is our biggest asset and we are proud to have such a dedicated group of service minded individuals working at the resort. We are truly sorry you did not feel that way. Many of our guests refer to the impeccable service and highlight various staff by name to let us know what outstanding employees work at the resort.

Again, we greatly appreciate your business and the fact that you took the time to provide us with your thoughts. We look forward to having you as our guest in the near future and to meeting and exceedling all of your expecations going forward.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mamora Bay
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to St. James's Club & Villas? Share your experiences!