St. James's Club & Villas
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
South Point Antigua(English Harbour)
View Hotel
Carlisle Bay Antigua(Saint Mary's)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Curtain Bluff Resort(Saint Mary's)
3,599 results
All reviewswater sportspiccolo mondoatlantic siderainbow gardena la cartest jamesbeachfront roombeach frontper personall inclusive packageshirley heightsroyal suitenightly entertainmenttennis courtscatamaran tripbay beachgreat resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at the St James' Club for 4 nights before moving over to the other side of the island for a wedding. We loved everything about the hotel.

Paying a bit more for a room on the ocean side was well worth it. The rooms were spacious not ultra modern but had everything we needed and the bed was very comfortable.

The two beaches could not be more different - the lapping tranquility of the lagoon side was great and we both swam there every morning before Breakfast - usually about the only ones on the beach at that time. But our preference during the day was the more breezy Ocean side. We liked the on beach waiter service, serving up rum punches at 11am! The bar men and women certainly know how to pour a cocktail. We enjoyed all the food we had there - probably preferred the Rainbow Dining room for dinner - the food was better and worth getting there early to get an outside table, plus it has waiter service.

Water sports were excellent - we sailed quite a bit and never had a problem getting a boat - the booking system worked well.

We had a memorable Sunday evening, dancing to the band (Pat Edwards??) both the female and male leads were outstanding and the musician support also excellent - they were a joy and really got the audience to their feet. It seems there is such talent in abundance in Antigua but they were the best we have heard for some time. I agree with an earlier reviewer that 10pm seemed a little early to finish.

My only gripe was the lack of WIFI in the rooms - the WIFI in the main reception area was good and reasonably quick (and free) though.

Room Tip: We only sampled our room but suspect that is is worth paying for the Ocean side rooms because the breeze is more consistent which cuts down the mosquitoes, which are in abundance in Antigua.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sailingpassion
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

When I write a review I want to be as detailed as I can be but I honestly have so many individual situations I would have to write a book! Let me start by saying I have never experienced a front desk/management staff that is worse. When we would ask for something such as a simple map of the island they acted as if I had inconvienced them so much. They charged for everything and the staff when I questioned charges the front desk people actually got defensive.... for example you have to pay 10.00 a day for a very very slow WiFi connection which only one person who works from 8-4 can get you a pasword.... when I do get it I realize the password only works for one device. We were there on business so I needed to have access to my phone and laptop and my husband did too.... when I called to inquire I was told in a very matter of fact rude way that we had to pay another 10.00 per device.... our flight want until this afternoon so we booked over 500.00 in spa appointments that lasted til after their 1200 check out and when I called to enquire they said I could have a 2:00 check but it would cost me 50.00.....really??? Once again when I questioned the charge the front desk lady got a major attitude and said she can't do anything that I would have to talk to a manager who of course just conviently left.
We had some friends on property one night and ate at cocos.... I was embarrassed because the food was so bad.
Now I will say the entire food and beverage staff was wonderful although the quality,and presentation was not good at all, the food and beverage crew was delightful and accommodating.

We had a beachfront room which was quite expensive and the decor was plain and the renovations they had made to update were cheap and not well done. Typically at resorts you will have a robe, turn down service, complementary waters etc.... nope just a plain ran dow room.

I will be going to Antigua every year for business and there is no way I would stay there again.In fact the management company operates several resorts and I will not visit any of those either. You can tell the attitude of their employees comes from the top down.

• Stayed: December 2012
19  Thank alicia j
EIR123, Public Relations Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

We were very disappointed to read that you left with such a poor impression of our customer service and resort. All members of staff work hard to provide an excellent standard of customer service at every level, so we apologise if this was not your experience. All additional costs are explained on our website and brochure, we are sorry if it was unclear to you and that the Front Desk team were not able to assist you further. We try to offer a range of cuisine throughout our restaurants, we apologise if you felt the quality and presentation were so poor you would not return with a guest. If you would like to discuss any of your issues further with us please contact us directly at corp-comments@candw.ag. All your comments will be shared with Senior Management, we are sorry we were not able to address your issues during your stay and therefore try and rectify them

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just returned from our 3rd visit to St James. It just keeps getting better. We had a Keele Reef Suite which has a separate bedroom a large lounge and a balcony facing the reef which is not overlooked. The choice of two beaches means it never seems busy and there is always a sun bed available. Staff are so friendly and there is no one better than Elaine in Docksider bar for her cocktails. The choice of food is excellent as is the service most of the time. Wish they would learn to cook potatoes and broccoli. It's a wonderful place to do as much or as little as you want. All the staff are so friendly and helpful, will miss Melissa in Docksiders, and her mother Pearl in the Rainbow, also Alfred who supplied drinks on wheels on the beach. Feeling nicely relaxed after a great holiday

Room Tip: Ask for a beachfront
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda A
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We just returned from one of our best and most relaxing vacations ever. We usually do a lot of cruises but we decided this time to try an all inclusive resort. The St James Club had two lovely beaches on the Atlantic and the Bay sides. We spent most of our time on the Bay side where we enjoyed the calm waters from our lounge chairs in the shade. A golf cart drink bar provided us with a wide variety of drinks on the beach. We had a ground floor beachfront room in the pineapple building. We woke up every morning to a great view of the ocean. We took advantage of very good food everywhere. We ate most of the time in the Rainbow Dining room. Friendliest and most helpful staff of any resort we have been to. The grounds were very picturesque and everything was just a short walk away. The room, although it was very clean could have been a bit more upscale and luxurious for a resort of this quality. The air conditioned lounge in the lobby had a great bartender but lacked atmosphere. Entertainment around the resort was excellent in quality but very insufficient. All bands ended at 10 PM when we were just getting into it. All in all, we had a great time in Antigua. The St James Club was an excellent choice to mellow out for a week’s vacation.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our Beachfront room on the ground floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rick A
Reviewed December 2, 2012

A quick observation or two ;

The best thing is the feeling of calm/peace. No piped music around the bars/pools- just delightful.
Run by a hard working Portuguese gentleman who can be seen picking up leaves and litter early each morning. Not much gets past him! In the main his staff contribute to a great atmosphere.
Prices are fair for food and beverage and the location has to be see to be believed.

I really enjoyed my stay.

Now my gripes; and they are entirely predictable for anyone familiar with these kinds of resorts.
(i) Water-sports .... whats the reason the musclebound staff are always unfair and aggressive?
8 - 10 knots of wind ... the first day I 'm prohibited from using the Hobie cat because its "too calm man". Day two, the same wind is "too strong man!" Day 3 I finally get launched and am hustled back by an impatient man in a Dory after just 39 minutes of enjoyment. Jeeez! The Hobie then spends much of the day sat on the beach with 5 or 6 others. Few guests want to use them and after witnessing the attitudes of the staff maybe I can understand why.
(ii) Staff in Coco's ( the elevated restaurant adjacent to the beach) really need a kick . It took 30 mins of "being ignored " just to get my hands on a menu. The shrimp Salad, though delicious, had just 4 tiny shrimps, and the waitress treated me brusquely . Not the kind of holiday experience I was looking for.

So to sum up, a delightful choice , it's very pretty here , the rooms are perfect and the overall experience is spot on. The hotel is beautifully laid out over impressive grounds and as others report here on trip adviser it has very fast WiFi , a decent gym and great chefs.
Antigua is a thrilling island with lots to do. the beaches are safe and perfect for families with young children. I hope that the St James's club can work on the few ragged edges.

Room Tip: To be honest all rooms have great views and are of a high standard. I wouldn't worry too much ! If you want to be "fussy" there are some that have "vaulted ceilings" and feel nice and airy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank stuarthw

We were delighted to read your review and that you enjoyed the resort and Antigua. We were sorry about your experience with the Watersports team, their priority is the safety of our guests, so we apologise if their attitude was over zealous. It is disappointing to read about the service you received at Coco’s restaurant, we pride ourselves on delivering excellent customer service and serving our guests promptly. All your comments will be passed onto Management. We hope to welcome you back to the St James’s Club in the future.