“here's are the pro and cons”

St. James's Club & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mamora Bay
Reviewed November 19, 2012

where can I start... I stayed at this resort in a beachfront room with my dad from Nov. 10 to 17th on a travel agent rate. as in many industry I would like to start with the positives before the things to work on:

pros:
the quality of the food is decent for most restaurant, except for the mamora beach grill. dinner offers different choice for buffet at docksider, breakfast buffet is typical nothing overly special, but do the trick with the regular stuff: scrambled eggs, omellette station, waffle station, bacon, sausages, etc...
love the breeze from the wind on coco's beach side, you can tan and not sweat your behind off with the constant wind. the resort grounds are well kept. beside a couple incident that I will elaborate below in the cons, the staff in general is very friendly. there was some comments from previous guests about mosquitos, but they were not a worry.

cons:
Unfortunately, I cannot stay that my whole stay was perfect. twice we approached the front desk and guest services to complain about ants in the room and extremely noisy and shaky ceiling fans. never a maintenance person came in to tighten the screws on the fan or do pest control. ironic, on the beaches they have the "cute" signs that says: "shhhh vacation at work", with a no cell phone symbols, yet the bad service we received at the docksider from a staff named Priscillia was because she was texting by the water station, while we waited for water and coffee. We had to get up and ask her to bring some, while she hided behind a co-worker not to get caught. I did bring that up to the front desk manager, and I asked if there was a cell phone policy and they say yes, so in this case, it's a case of enforcement. I also did get the same problem at the Mamora beach grill, where after a short afternoon shower, the tables and chairs were wet and dirty and no refills in the condiments with relish and ketchup, and she was sitting, texting. You work as a cook/server in the food industry, you shouldn't be sitting down: there's always cleaning to do, sanitation, things to put away, rotation of food to be done, etc...

As for the room, beside the maintenance issues mentioned, I do have to say that the beachfront rooms are awesome location, in a quieter area of the resort. they are big, with big bathroom, but the quality of the beds and furniture is quite average. the lighting is dark,so at night if you want to read a book, you need to turn all the lights on to have a decent lights. no comfortable chairs to sit: only beach chair on the patio ( a small round table with a couple chairs wouldn't hurt), and a wood chair for a "work desk" in the room. note that they do have wireless for charge in the room, and depending on your location you may or not get a signal. so before asking the front desk to get wifi for a cost in your room, make sure you get the signal. There is free wifi in the lobby area.

Beaches:
They are not the nicest beaches of the island, but even if they say that all antigua's beaches are public, you are most likely not to run into any local there. Coco's beach: located on Atlantic side, nice breeze, a little wavy and some jellyfish, not a nice beach for swimming. a lot of seaweed washing up to shore, no faults at all to the resort, but that you still should be aware of. Nice place to tan, especially in the morning from 7am to 12pm because of sun location.

Mamora beach:
located in a bay, very calm water and barely any breezes. clean beach, soft sand, warmer weather. again nice, but not the greatest. a lot of chairs and palm trees, a little more happenning. Great place for afternoon for sunbathing, play sports, swim etc...

location:
if you plan to go out at night, do stuff, want to be in the middle of the action, this is not the place. when most tours leaves from Jolly Beach or Dickinson Bay near St-John's, most tours does NOT include transportation, taxi will be approx $35 USD each way for up to 4 people. so get another couple to share cost, that's what we did with a couple on honeymoon from Coquitlam B.C. and worked great for all of us! There is NO ATM onsite, so if you running out of money and need more you will need to go in town, there is a gift shop onsite, but so overprice, it's cheaper to take a taxi to the small town nearby, buy what you need and still have more money left in your pocket.

At the same time if you like quiet, romantic and away from it all this is a good location. I visited approx 12 beaches when I was there, and here's some of the most remembered ones:

Dickinson Bay: located in front of Sandals resort, huge beach with nice sand and water BUT very annoying vendors coming around all the time, Party place, crowded with bars etc...

Turner Point: nice remote beach, barely busy, nice spot to go
Rendez-vous bay: hard to access by road, but popular stop for boat tour, nice beach.

Suggestion for hotel: St-James, Galley Bay and Verandah are owned by the same management company, it is very too bad that they don't have a "dine around/ spend the day at the other resort" as a benefit. I am used to that format with Sandals where you can stay at one and play at the other ones as well. Even if they don't include transportation, I would have love to spend the day at the other resorts and see what else they have to offer. I think this would be good marketing too, as let's say someone goes to St.James, feel it's not the best for them, but discover Varendah is more their thing, how would they know the next time, and book it if they don't give them that opportunity to see it? instead people would most likely try a totally different brand...

with this say, John in guest services was great, and like I say many of them were very friendly, except for a couple.... would I return? maybe, but waiting to see if I will hear back from management from comments left prior to departure, on how they will answer to my concern.

This is a place not for everybody, and you should make sure before you book what are your priorities on the island. to make sure this is for YOU. As a travel agent it would be easy for me just to book what the client is asking, but your travel agent should ask you questions, to make sure this is a good fit. Not just for this resort, but any of them. With this say, the comments above are my own personal observation, and in no way reflects or represent the travel company I work for.

Room Tip: beachfront, ground floor, can walk straight out to the beach
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank tiatatravelagent
EIR123, Public Relations Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed the grounds and the restaurants. We apologise that your maintenance issues were not addressed during your stay, we will be following this up. If you would like to email us directly at corp-comments@candw.ag with your booking details we will be able to follow up the report on your initial enquiry into maintenance. Our staff should not be using cell phones when working, thank you for bringing this to our attention, Personnel and Senior Management have been notified. Thank you for all your feedback, the points raised will be shared with the appropriate departments. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for St. James's Club & Villas

Reviewed November 19, 2012

If you want a 1st class 5 Star Resort then look no further. As soon as we got out of the airport and into the taxi and we informed the driver, St. Jame's Club, we were informed we were headed to the most luxurious resort on the island. We arrived with a staff who were friendly and accommodating and of course some rum punch. Our room was the Royal Suite with a view that I was so break taking. Everyday I would leave the curtains open a little so I could wake up to my view. The room was quite large; king bed and a huge bathroom. After unpacking, we took a tour of the restaurants; Docksider(buffet style), Rainbow Garden (menu) and Coco's (casual). The property was spectacular! Every morning Rainbow Garden for breakfast. Special order omelet's were amazing and you could order off the menu and/or the breakfast buffet. Lunch was a must at Coco's while we enjoyed the beach. You need to book dinner reservations one night in advance and you must book your spa treatments as soon as you get there. Good news is that they are building a new spa facility. The spa manager, Jocelyn, was so incredibly helpful, professional and just so nice. You need to experience the spa. It is a must! We took the 1/2 day catamaran with Captain Andy and I highly recommend this. WOW. He has lots of personality! Overall our 5 night stay was SPECTACULAR! I cannot wait to return to St. Jame's Club in Antigua.

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong. I would suggest upgrading to Royal Suites if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were welcomed by a wonderful staff and a glass of rum punch. We had paid for an all enclusive package and it was worth every penny. Our room was clean and over looked the ocean which was nice and romantic. The all inclusive package gave us all we can eat and drink which included booze.

The only two things I would say bad about this island is first that there were a lot of mosquitoes. I had taken some bug repellant and that pretty much worked when I remembered to spray it on. Secondly the shopping was pretty much non-existent.

We went scuba diving out of the dive shop at the hotel and had a fantastic time. The dive instructor was awesome! I forget her name but she had a German accident. She was great! She took us to some really nice dive spots and for our surface interval we went cruising around some of the local bays. A nice way to see the island.

Overall we had a great trip!!! I would recommend this hotel to a friend for sure.

Room Tip: Top floor of any of the main buildings. I stayed on the second floor in the building nearest to Coco...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Beckisue
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

First time in Antigua was given an upgrade to a royal suite beautiful lovely room all mod cons staff very helpful would thoroughly recommend x my only complaint would be - the towels could do with updating to match the beautiful room

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank missymooWestSussex
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed a week at this resort. The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful, ready to please you at any time of the day. Everything was perfect, I just loved all part of it. A special thanks to the whole staff (docksider restaurant, staff at the front desk, the staff at the rainbow restaurant). The room was clean and offers a nice view on the sea. The hotel is very calm and quiet, people make you feel at home. I'm looking forward to fly back as soon as I can afford it....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank isabelleeMartinique
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This holiday cost me a fortune £8000! for a week, a rip off! The food was the worst - just cheap buffet food - burgers, pasta etc reminded me of Shoneys in the USA! the resort is old and rooms very old and needing refurbishment, they dont even give you a complimentary bottle of water in your room you have to pay $5 for a small one! The staff are unhelpful and rude. The resort is meant to be all inclusive - we were there for 1 week and they ran out of ingredients for cocktails for 3 day.........not alcohol but bananas, strawberries and coconuts.....one day I was so annoyed that I bough bananas from the breakfast buffet to the bar so that they could make the drinks! This resort is owned by an american who lives on the property and talking to his grandson who also works there there motto is to do it as cheap as possible to make the most profit - dont need to say anymore! Also this resort is on the Atlantic side so sea is rough and not good, go to a different resort with the Carribean sea.

Room Tip: dont go at all
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank amanda c
EIR123, Public Relations Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

We apologise that you did not feel you received value for money from your vacation with us. We try to offer our guests a varied menu throughout our restaurants, from our fine dining Italian inspired menu at Piccolo Mondo to our themed international buffet nights at Docksiders, we are sorry that you found nothing that appealed. The resort does have an on-going renovation project so the areas you felt were tired may well have been refreshed since your stay in July. With regards to the bar running low on ingredients, we do apologise for any inconvenience.Thank you for all your comments, we are sorry that you left the St James’s Club dissatisfied, your feedback will be shared with Management.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Our family includes three children aged 15, 9 and 4. All of us found St James Club offered the perfect stay...super rooms and views, white sandy beaches, numerous pools (adults, mixed and young children), many restaurants with great quality food and drink, with variety, sports, boats, childrens' clubs with high quality guests and varied entertainment. On top of this the staff care - they took time to smile, to greet and to make us welcome, remembering our names, all without making us feel crowded. We consider the delivery for cost extremely good value.

We enjoyed this holiday so much, for the first time ever, we expect to return next year!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifully appointed but we suggest rooms with a sea view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to St. James's Club & Villas? Share your experiences!