Me and my girlfriend stayed at st James' club between 10th and 20th of September where we had a lovely holiday and made some great friends. We stayed in a beach front room which was modern, spacious, had an enormous bed and the largest shower I have ever seen, coupled with a large balcony with a beautiful view of the beach/sea. The hotel has 2 beaches the main 1 being the atlantic side which is large and has a nice cooling breeze and the bay on the other side which can get very hot without a breath of air, but is where all the watersports take place. As people have previously posted on here, there is a seaweed problem on the atlantic side this time of year however it really doesnt ruin it and the hotel is doing everything it can to clear it with a large team out every morning clearing it up before most people are even awake. All the restaurants on the resort are really good and a la carte is especially nice, however as Sept/Oct is usually quiet here the hotel was probably at no more than 40% occupancy which was nice however because of this on some evenings they only had 1 of the 2 main restaurants open (docksider/ rainbow garden), which was fine as both were good restaurants. But on the evening the docksider was the only main restaurant open it really struggled, it appeared it had far more guests that evening than it normally would have with no additional staff so my one piece of advice to the hotel would be to ensure that when this occurs to increase staffing levels, but this is a small gripe about otherwise excellent restaurants with excellent staff. I would also recommend the picolo restaurant for a special treat as this serves a lovely lobster and the service there really is impeccable and does justify the extra cost for a special evening.
The bars are equally good with almost every cocktail you could possibly imagine available along with a good local beer on tap. The staff here were again excellent however Marlon has to stand out for special mention, a very nice guy with some brilliant cocktail making skills.
We also booked a catamaran trip through the hotel for $93 us per person, which takes you from the hotel round to the english harbour and then on to do some snorkelling (if your lucky you will also see some turtles), you then go round to the carribbean sea side of the island where the water is much calmer and clearer and where you are provided with a lovely lunch, get to spend some time on the beach before heading back to the hotel, an excellent trip with all you can drink throughout the trip and again a special mention has to go to andy the captain and his team who really teach you a lot about the island throughout the trip and make a pleasant enjoyable day, defenitely reccomend this.
If you do plan on going out of the resort on a trip or just to visit local area there are usually taxis on standby nearby but try and ask reception for sam/samuel who is a local taxi driver but is better than a tour guide, knows everything about the island, is so friendly and not expensive, would really reccomend this guy every time. He can also take you to the airport.
Overall this is a great resort with lots to do and lots of variety but the staff here really are the difference and having visited lots of different carribbean islands, antiguan people are by far the friendliest and nicest I have met.
Well done st James' and see you next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the All-Inclusive St. James's Club & Villas, Antigua's most famous address. This beautiful resort is ideally located on a private, 100-acre peninsula. You will love our two white sand beaches, water sports, tennis, four restaurants, indoor and outdoor bars, beach bar & grill, luxurious spa & salon, freshwater swimming pools, supervised Kids Club, wide array of water sports, Scuba diving, and so much more. One of the Caribbean's most popular all-inclusive resorts. Excellent for couples, honeymooners, families, and friends. Located just minutes from major attractions like English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, and the lively Shirley Heights. Our warm and welcoming staff and management team will make your stay wonderful and memorable. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, BookIt.com, West Indies, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your St. James's Club & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. James`s Club Hotel Mamora Bay
- St James Club Antigua
- St Jamess Hotel
- St Jamess Resort
- St James Antigua
- St Jamess Club Antigua
- St. James's Club & Villas Antigua/Mamora Bay