“Fun times! Fun wedding!”

St. James's Club & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mamora Bay
New York
“Fun times! Fun wedding!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I just returned from my friend's wedding at the St. James Club resort. The grounds are beautiful. The restaurant staff, especially, was really attentive and nice. Shout out to Hyacinth and Lisa in the Rainbow restaurant. I stayed in a suite near the waterfall pool. The suite was very spacious, clean and nice. The bathroom was huge. The balcony was very nice as well.

Mamora Bay was very nice, warm and calm. The water is not as clear as I'm used to in the Caribbean. But, Coco Beach had very blue water. It had very rough waves, however. Overall, Mamora Bay was great and a fun place to hang out.

Rainbow and Docksider restaurants were very good. The food was very well seasoned and very good. I thought the selection of food was good. The drinks were delicious! I especially like the rum punch served.

The wedding was gorgeous! We had the best time! A fun time was had by all. The only complaint I have is in regards to the onsite wedding coordinator. She was nowhere to be seen for most of the wedding ceremony set up. The bride and groom's family set up the ceremony and reception locations. As soon as the bride and groom made their entrance at the reception she left. Very odd behavior, indeed.

Anyway, overall, I would highly recommend this resort! It's beautiful. The staff, for the most part, is very helpful and friendly. The suites are very nice and comfortable. The food was very good! Drinks were yummy. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank hopeful74
EIR123, Public Relations Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at the James’s Club. With regards to your comments about the wedding coordinator not being available we have looked into this and there were three members of staff working all day at the venue getting it ready. Guests and family are never expected or asked to help with the set-up of a wedding. The staff were not in uniform so maybe were not clearly identifiable, but were present. We are so pleased that the Bride and Groom enjoyed their special day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (985)
  • Greek first
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed during August and were in a Royal suit which was a huge bonus. The apartment looked out over the Mamora bay side which gave it a calm quiet vista it also had the biggest most comfortable bed that I had ever slept in. The air conditioning was a blessing but is run on a sensor system which meant that if you left the balcony doors open it shut itself down which I thought was very sensible, it did not extend to the bathroom though which would have been nice.

The resort itself is a great family location with lots of activities and pools to use. This includes tennis, sail boats, canoes and a kids club. The pools are dotted around the property and consisted of a main pool where it appeared to be the main area for family’s and then other pools and bars around other areas which is great as you can be as active or as quite as you like. There is also the Cocos and Mamora beaches Cocos is breezy and can be a bit wavey from the sea but Mamoras is calm still and can be very warm with little or no breeze. The grounds and gardens are well kept.

There are four restaurants all of which give you a variety of places and styles to eat at varying from buffet to al a cart to fine dining at an extra cost. We found all the restaurants to be fine but preferred Docksiders as the ambiance suited us better.

Some reports say that the staff were not friendly and did on communicate or were even rude. We must say that we found 99.9% of the staff were friendly and pleasant and if you spoke to them they spoke to you and nearly always greeted you with a good morning or hello. The waiting staff were efficient and attentive and even stopped for a chat if they were not to busy.
The only downside of the resort is that it is fairly isolated so if you want to get out and see the real Antigua it can get expensive with trips and taxis as they are not cheap.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at St James’s Bay and would recommend it for family’s. Yes you can find fault with any resort but remember you are on holiday and let the minor irritations’ pass you by and enjoy your holiday. Would I go back?, no, as I think it is not the place that I would visit on a repeat as there are to many other places to see

Room Tip: Royal Suit for a quiet time.
Middletown, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

There is so much to say I'm not sure where to start so, I guess I will start for the reason for our trip. We stayed this July and were married at the resort. We had a rather large party so we were told but not too big. I have traveled throughout the Carribean many times but wanted to go somewhere I had never been so Antigua was our choice. We picked this resort because of the location (I like when resorts are not right next to one another) and the all inclusive which we felt would benefit some of our guests.
We (meaning my husband, son and I) arrived on a Thursday after a LONG days travel. When we got to the resort we were greeted and offered a drink. The lobby was rather busy with all the flight attendants who apparently stayed the night before. The ladies at the front desk were pleasant and almost seemed to be expecting us. I felt truly welcomed within minutes. We had originally booked a beachfront room which is what we were expecting. When the porter came and took us to our room we were pleasantly surprised. We were upgraded to a Royal Suite. And boy was it fantastic! The room was decorated with flowers throughout including the bathroom. Our balcony had a two chairs , a table and fan and a killer view of Mamora Bay which was beautiful! The bed was fantastic! It was one of my favorite things about the trip soft, huge ( possibly a california king) and lots of space. They even had a portable crib that I requested for my son. I can't explain to you how cleanliness is a BIG thing to me and it was very clean. I didn't worry about my son playing with his toys on the floor because it was that clean. After we relaxed for a short time the wedding planner had arranged to meet us (Paula) and go over some specifics. Within a short amount of time my maid of honor arrived minus her luggage which was lost on British Airways and was a little frazzled by all the travel. Paula took this into consideration and took us all to lunch at Coco's and we enjoyed lunch. Later, that day I went to guest services and was so happy that they were willing to contact the airlines for us and try to locate the missing luggage which included her dress for the wedding. As soon as they heard that they were on it like true investigators and vowed to keep following up with the airlines. As a bride this put me at ease because they understood the sense of urgency. I have nothing but fantastic things to say about all the guest services including John.
The next day the rest of our party arrived (24 people). Again, long travel and all were exhausted. The rooms were not ready and some had issues with their rooms but check in time like most resorts is usually in the afternoon which I can understand. The front desk didn't hesitate in offering our guests use of the hotel until the rooms were ready. And I loved that they have no bracelets like some other all inclusive resorts. I think in general when I read the comments about the front desk people need to take some things into consideration. ... the check in time and treating others the way you would want to be treated. The ladies were personable if you took the time to speak with them and treat them with respect. I found them to be very accomidating & quick to answer any questions we had.
OK moving on... the Rainbow Room which is located through the lobby was a great place for breakfast. It's a buffet style for both breakfast & lunch (same as Coco's). We loved Jermaine who always stopped to say hello and welcome us by name especially my son. We also ate here at night for a Thai night but I wasn't really impressed. The food overall was like most all inclusive resorts but it did have a variety. The best meal here was breakfast with the made to order waffles. Coco's staff was also great just a little slow moving. If you like ribs, check them out they are good. The shrimp ceasar salad was my favorite there. Docksiders which is located next to the Royal Suite was my favorite place for dinner. If you go around 8pm the view of Mamora Bay was beautiful. Piccolo Mundo was great. The view from there is beautiful especially at night since it's up on the hill you could see everything. This is where most wedding receptions take place. I did not have the lobster dinner like most people but the wedding food was really good, no complaints. The beach bar/ grill has great burgers! My husband had one and I wanted to eat all of his it was so good. I had a fish burger there which was really good and fresh.
At night our guests frequented the Jacaranda bar with the DJ each night. We all had a blast! The DJ knew what kind of music we liked and took our requests. The movie theater was very large and it was a great place for everyone kids and adults to relax and it was nice and cool in there.
I've stayed in many resorts where they offer non motorized water sports but this resort was great. We had no problem being able to use anything we wanted. It was actually really enjoyable and resulted in lots of laughs.
Overall, I would go back here. Why did I only give it 4 stars? I like variety and good food. Although, the food wasn't horrible I would have liked more of a variety and for dinner at least I would have liked more of a "home cooked' feel to the food. I don't really care for buffet and yes, I did choose to eat at Docksiders a lot but that was because of the theme meals they had during that time was more of what I liked.
We all met lots of people and have actually kept in touch with some of them. I would love to thank Paula and all the girls in her office who deal with the wedding planning. John at guest services who always was there to help. Jermaine, thank you for treating my son so well with a smile and personalized greeting each morning. Thomas, the porter you were always there when we needed you. Thank you! And to Clayton who seemed to be a staple at the resort always with a warm gesture of hello and seemed to pop up everywhere around the resort. Enrique, who drove our guests the night of the wedding was very nice and thoughtful. JJ, thank you for spending time with my nephew and showing him around the resort.This staff and so many more who I can't remember their names were fantastic.
Bottom line- when you're on vacation/holiday keep in mind that yes, you came to relax but the people who work they still need to be treated like people and with respect. I seen too many times how guests talked to the workers like they were less then human. Not cool. If you just take the time to say a simple hello and smile you may have much more of a pleasant stay and in turn relax.

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade get a Royal Suite. The bed, bathroom and the view from the balcony are...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank justbeachy424
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

The St. James' Club is an all round great holiday destination. There was absolutely nothing wrong with our vista. We were greeted nicely, with the choice of a rum/fruit punch, free of charge. We stayed in a royal suite, which was excellent. A huge, extremely comfortable bed, a great view and a decent-sized terrace. There was also a private pool, for people staying in suites only. The stand-out for me was the water sports centre. With a variety of different sports, friendly and helpful staff who can also teach you, it was excellent. Service was exceptional, everyone was friendly and efficient. The resort has four restaurants and a beach bar, all of which are pretty good, although food is not the main reason one would go there. It boasts two beautiful beaches and many pools, swell as a fitness centre. There is always evening entertainment, and there is now a cinema for the children. There are many bars scattered around the resort, which all provide excellent drinks and service.
I would highly recommend this resort

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Felix I
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

When you decide to go back to a place where you've had the best time you always worry that it might not be as good however, I'm pleased to say, that it was just as good and because of the size of the resort we found different things to do and see!

This time we stayed in one of the resorts newly refurbished Royal Suites which are very luxurious. They have a huge comfy bed, lounge with flat screen TV & DVD and free wifi in the room plus a bathroom bigger than our lounge with his & hers showers and a huge sunken bath!!!

Again we found the staff helpful and friendly with many remembering us from last year, which gives the impression of returning to a family and certainly made our trip extra special. We would like to single out the following who were really great: Kennedy, Suzette K, Cheralynn, Tyrelle, Pearl, Tyesha, Vincent, Inez, Jomaine, Collet, Jermaine, Alfred with his beach buggy and the marvelous Alina in Guest Services!

This year we spent far more time on the beach in Mamora Bay to which there have been lovely additions of a dedicated swimming area, landscaping and a beautiful pier which you can also sunbathe on. There is no seaweed on that side (although every effort is made by staff to keep Coco beach clean and tidy) and several bars. We also spent a lot of time at the 3 tiered adult pool by Piccolo Mondos which is just heavenly with fabulous views over the bay and shaded areas for when the sun gets overhead.

One of the highlight's of this trip for us was an afternoon on Captain Andy's Catamaran. This was a fantastic sail (and we're not people who can be bothered with organised trips generally) From the moment we went aboard Cpt Andy and his crew were incredibly friendly, funny and professional. The yacht is fabulous and the drinks were flowing as we headed out to see. Cpt Andy encouraged those of us brave enough to sit on the nets at the prow and it was so much fun getting soaking wet in the Antiguan sunshine! He took us on a tour of Nelson's Dockyard and then snorkelling off the pillars of Hercules which is one of the best experiences of my life and something I shall never forget. Cpt Andy and his crew really looked after us and made the whole trip a wonderful experience so if you go to St. James Club you MUST include this in your holiday - We're really gutted that we didn't last year and will certainly be doing it again when we go back!

Would I recommend St James Club - hell yes! Great food, great rooms, great staff and I can't wait to go back and chill out with those spectacular views!

Room Tip: Royal Suites are just gorgeous and free Wifi in the room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Manny E
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We arrived on Saturday 28th July having traveled from London Gatwick by Virgin Atlantic. On arrival we were given rum punch and signed in. Our room, we were told was not yet ready. After chasing them up every 15 minutes, we were told it was ready – it turns out we were upgraded to a Royal Suite instead of the Superior room we had booked. A porter in a golf buggy transported us & our baggage to our room.

The Room contained the largest bed I’ve seen – it creaked a bit but was quite comfortable. The room also contained a refrigerator, which was empty. The Virgin Holidays website says Royal Suites get a mini bar, ours didn’t (we hadn’t paid for one anyway) - other guests we spoke to said their refrigerator was empty too. The bathroom contained a very large bath tub, 2 showers & 2 hand basins (see photos) and an excellent electric hair drier, however due to the voltage my wife’s straighteners took 20 minutes at least to warm up and even then they were just about fit for purpose! The wardrobe contained a safe (no charge for a key), an ironing board & iron – the wardrobe also housed the fuse panel. In the Lounge area there were two sofas, a 2 seater & a 3 seater. The TV had many channels, mostly US. The hotel information book on the coffee table has a map of the hotel; don’t bother looking for the Deli – it closed long ago. The room servicing by the domestic staff was excellent.

The bedroom, but not the bathroom, is air conditioned, as is the hotel shop & the Jacaranda Bar (open after 6pm). No-where else is air conditioned.

Bar facilities are a bit unusual – there is no nice bar to have a drink before 6pm – your choices before 6pm are the pool bars & beach bars and plastic drink ware, or any restaurant when they are open for lunch. Coco’s Bar is open all day until 11pm serving a “Fusion menu” and bar drinks – you can go here for a drink if you don’t mind plastic tables & chairs and sitting amongst diners eating their hot dogs & burgers etc.
Coffee is not available from the beach / pool bars – there is a tea & coffee gazebo near the table tennis area, this contains cups, saucers etc. & vacuum flasks of hot water & coffee. The nearby tables can get covered with used crockery & glasses which are slow to be cleared. If you use the adult’s pool - your coffee will be cold by the time you take it back to your sunbed. The most comprehensive pool bar is the Reef Deck bar beside the largest pool – this place get really busy as it’s the pool all the children can use – it reminded me of the mayhem of a budget Spanish hotel during the 1980’s – much jumping in, splashing and drinking in the pool ignoring all the rules. There are signs saying “No Lifeguard on Duty” near anywhere you swim – no supervision either.

After 6pm the Docksider Bar opens – this is a nice place for a drink – Elaine behind the bar makes the nicest Gin & Tonics – we used this place a lot.

The Jacaranda bar opens at 6pm and allows children until 9pm – you will find children running about playing hide & seek without control from staff or parents. It is however air conditioned. After 9pm there is loud music to entertain you
Entertainment – There is a list of nightly entertainment near the hotel shop – most nights there is something on, the steel bands were quite good. The groups that performed sang reggae & classics and were not bad.

The Rainbow Garden restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch & dinner – the first two meals are buffet plus a fixed menu to choose from & dinner is a la carte (changes daily) only. Dinner requires booking at guest services. Breakfast is quite busy here so we tended to use the smaller Coco’s restaurant as a table for 2 was larger, and the food choice was more or less the same. The breakfast choices were quite good with all the usual stuff including croissants, fruit, eggs / omelettes etc. Dinner here was good with decent choices for meat, fish and vegetarian options. Bar drinks also available, red wine is not cooled at all anywhere here, so rosé was a good choice – white wine was decent and cold, as was the champagne
The Docksider restaurant only opens evenings and does not require booking- its buffet style with the ubiquitous hot-pans. This restaurant is open on 3 sides so is quite airy – but this means barely warm food gets cold quickly. The menu changes daily on a 7 day cycle – we like to eat at 8:30 pm to miss the rush, on Sundays (Asian night) we looked forward to this, only to find that the veg spring rolls ran out at 8:40pm and they refused to cook more (the restaurant closes 10pm) – this was pretty poor. The “Roast Leg of Lamb with Hoisin sauce” was being freshly carved under a sun ray lamp – this was very red and low temperature – no hoisin sauce was seen, however there was a bowl of lurid green jelly if you fancied. I like lamb very much – this was cold, fatty & well undercooked. We never saw any staff in any restaurant with a temperature probe ensuring any food was staying heated. The hot-pans are ok for foods that contain water (meats & gravy, fish in sauce etc) but not so good for rice, pizza etc. The ambient lighting is low - sit under a lamp if you want to see what you are eating.

The Piccolo Mondo restaurant will cost you $35 US each if you are an AI guest – we took a golf cart from reception as it’s a bit of a walk. This place is not air conditioned and we were sweating quite well to the point of being hot, the restaurant insists on the “Long pants” dress code which makes for an uncomfortable meal. I had the mushrooms stuffed with clams to start followed by the steak, my wife had mussel & tomato soup, followed by snapper with Parmesan crust – we enjoyed the food.

Spa – My wife had her nails manicured & polished – cost was $42 US – she was very pleased!

Hotel Shuttle taxi – this goes to St John’s twice every day for shopping etc, this costs $28.40 US for 2 persons and needs booking at guest services. We left at 09:00 & it picked us up at noon, this was about long enough for a duty-free shopping trip. Journey time is about 40 minutes each way.

Although we enjoyed our stay, I would not recommend this hotel or return for another stay – there are much better hotels around at this tariff. I just don't understand the glowing 5* reviews of this average hotel.

Room Tip: Always leave your bathroom door open, to allowed cool air to enter from the bedroom - unless you lik...
6 Thank GarySkuse
Thankyou for your comments, we are please you enjoyed the room upgrade to the Royal Suites. We are sorry you did not enjoy your Docksiders dining experience; your comments with regards to the food, staff and lighting have been noted and will be passed onto Management.
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 9 days from July 26, 2012 to August 4, 2012 and on the whole enjoyed our stay. Besides being in sunny beautiful Antigua, the good aspects were the Piccolo Mondo restaurant and the food generally, the excellent hotel location and the beach / sports centre however there we many displeasing aspects best summarised as:
• Reception staff were pretty rude, unhelpful and intolerant of assisting us
• Managers lacked being able to make any decisions and never came back to us
• Booking of the Excellence round the island trip – extremely poor trip, horrible weather and the trip should have been postponed, unsafe, dirty beach and the hotel seemed incapable is resolving complaints with the organisers
• Room – every day we had cockroaches that we had to ask to be sprayed
• The coco beach restaurant was low quality / unappealing and we avoided this
• We also felt generally with our stay that this hotel must be struggling financially and seemed to concentrate on costs rather than quest enjoyment
We hope this review is useful and we truly hope the hotel takes our comments on-board so future guests enjoy their stay.
Ian and Karen

Room Tip: Make sure you request the room you want and do not rely on what you read during the booking process...
7 Thank Ian S
EIR123, Public Relations Manager at St. James's Club & Villas, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We have reviewed your complaint with regards to The Exellence Cruise with Tropical Adventures and must reiterate that this was not a hotel tour and a waiver was signed at the time. The Excellence did give all guests the option of not taking the cruise that day as the weather was questionable. We managed the situation on your behalf and Tropical Adventures offered you a land based tour as way of compensation, in addition you accepted the hotels gesture of goodwill of dinner at Piccolo Mondo. We are sorry that you still feel unsatisfied with the outcome. We are sorry you found Reception staff rude and unhelpful, this is very disappointing as we endevour to deliver excellent customer service throughout the resort. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and will pass them onto Management.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mamora Bay
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,224 reviews

Been to St. James's Club & Villas? Share your experiences!