We booked a premium room at the St james club but was it a premium room? Tired in places and situated right next to the Gym with noise early in the morning from various maintenance vans. Had seaview but not the best. We enquired at reception which type of room we were given and they were positive that it was a premium room. Anyway, too lazy to repack, we did not ask to move.
The situation with the Beach Club (exclusive to Virgin Holidays) and the St James Club is not well defined. On arrival, we were dumped with other people and had to queue for check in at a hut outside the Beach Club and then told to go up the main hotel lobby where the St James' reception is located.
St James Club's guests can eat in all restaurants while the Beach Club's guests, apart of 2 nights a week, can only eat in Coco's or pay for Piccolo Mundo.
According to some guests, the rooms at the Beach Club are in better condition than some at the St James. All the facilities are common.
Food was not brilliant. Breakfast was nice with good choices. Buffet lunch was not very appetising apart of salads. Dinner, a la carte, was for some dishes nice, most of the time indifferent. My husband said that the fish was always overcooked. Accompaniments mostly the same every night. You have to remember to book. We somehow managed to book 2 days ahead sometimes when we could see the menu.
The drinks were watered at the beach bar but quite good in the night bar. Wine and "champagne" were of poor quality.
Service was from good to poor with the staff either very nice or from sultry to rude.
Evening entertainment: non existent or late. The magician who comes around tables in the bar is good if you show interest. A trio in the docksider restaurant was very funny. That is about all. Good music at Shirley Heights on Sunday nights.
Beaches are nice with plenty of shade, mostly from the palm trees. We never had difficulties to find a lounger but were not the last on the beach. Towels were mostly of good quality.
Watersports were good with equipment in good condition and tuition, from my husband's point of view on a hobbycat, good and friendly.
We used the tennis courts most days. They are fine except for drainage problems after the rain. Water is provided on the side of the courts: that is a nice touch.
We went on the Virgin ahoy trip around the island with the Excellence. That was a good fun day out. Snorkelling is not terrific as the reef is mostly dead, but we could find a few colourful fish and the sea was warm.
We rented a car for a day. True the roads are very bumpy and the local driving hazardous, but it was a good way to visit the island and spot other hotels.
Did not think much about St Johns. Only a stop for massive cruise ships with their folks straight into the jewellery shops.
At night the place is scary and on a Saturday night unbearably noisy with a all night rave. But this is an other story following an incident with our Virgin flight back to the UK.
Overall, we enjoyed our week in Antigua. The St James Club has a good location but, in our view only deserves 3 1/2 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the All-Inclusive St. James's Club & Villas, Antigua's most famous address. This beautiful resort is ideally located on a private, 100-acre peninsula. You will love our two white sand beaches, water sports, tennis, four restaurants, indoor and outdoor bars, beach bar & grill, luxurious spa & salon, freshwater swimming pools, supervised Kids Club, wide array of water sports, Scuba diving, and so much more. One of the Caribbean's most popular all-inclusive resorts. Excellent for couples, honeymooners, families, and friends. Located just minutes from major attractions like English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, and the lively Shirley Heights. Our warm and welcoming staff and management team will make your stay wonderful and memorable. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, West Indies, Expedia, TravelUp, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Priceline and HRS so you can book your St. James's Club & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. James`s Club Hotel Mamora Bay
- St James Club Antigua
- St Jamess Hotel
- St Jamess Resort
- St James Antigua
- St Jamess Club Antigua
- St. James's Club & Villas Antigua/Mamora Bay