“Nice but not the right B&B for us”

The Old Church Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Muirkirk B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The place itself is very quiet, clean and nice. Beautifully decorated with excellent breakfast. However, we don't give it maximum rate, since we rented a room for the weekend, and were surprised to find out that the hosts expected us to leave the house right after breakfast and only come back in the evening. It would have not been a problem if the weather would have been nice and warm. In our case it was rainy and cold ... Luckily we had a car and could drive around in the area. Another thing to point out is, that we never got a key to the front door.
If you plan a romantic weekend, this is probably not the right place for you, but if you need a nice place to sleep it is perfect.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MIA002
TheOldChurch, Owner at The Old Church Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you for your review and we were very sorry to hear that we were not the right B&B for your stay in Scotland..
In answer to a couple of your points raised, we do not hand out keys to our house as this is our family home with children.
Your stay coincided with an exceptional event and as we were going to the Tour of Britain on the Sunday morning, we politely asked if you didn't mind leaving at 9.30am and that we would be back at about 5pm, our eldest Daughter was however, here to let you in if you arrived back before us, we very rarely take time away but we are what it says on the tin, we are a bed and breakfast and unlike a hotel, our guests do not stay in throughout the day regardless of the weather and we did offer lots of super venues in Ayrshire to go and we were under the impression that you had a great day.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Spent the night at The Old Church after running The River Ayr Way Challenge (41 miles). We received a very warm welcome and our room was amazing. David offered us some yogurt cake which went down very well with a cup of Earl Grey. I could've quite easily chilled for the whole evening watching dvds on the huge TV, drinking cups of tea, or anything else from the huge choice of hot drinks. We had to go out for a few hours to a presentation, but were sure to get back early to take advantage of the amazing hospitality. The breakfast was also fab, with a choice of home made muesli, granola, jams and lovely olive bread. I will definitely be back if I do the run again next year. Thanks again David and Lesley.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kirsty B
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed at The Old Church for one night only but as soon as we stepped through the door we felt right at home. David and Lesley were fantastic hosts and made us feel very welcome indeed. We had home baking (scrumptious) and fresh water delivered to our room upon arrival. The room itself was extremely clean and comfortable. There was an abundance of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, herbal teas and milk available in our room. We also had fluffy bath robes provided and a selection of dvd's to watch on the TV/DVD. The Scottish breakfast was delicious.
The Old Church has been wonderfully renovated into a very modern, comfortable home.
We would definitely return and would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sah67
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Lesley's kitchen is one of those all too rare places where you go with high expectations and leave having had them more than surpassed. As soon as you enter The Old Church you're enveloped by the warmth of both the beautiful home and Lesley and David's personality. My husband and I were there for the speciality bread course; we were disappointed on only 2 counts - one that the day went by all to quickly and the second that we weren't staying the night !

Lesley is one of the most inspirational teachers I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Unlike many cookery schools the class size, with a maximum of 4 students, means that you get plenty of one to one attention and hands on experience. There is never any pressure to keep up with anyone else, or to feel hesitant about asking what may seem like a 'daft laddie' question.

Whether you're a complete novice and want to get started in bread making, or someone with experience looking to extend your bread repertoire, I urge you to try Lesley's kitchen; you won't be disappointed.

We can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: I had to rate sleep quality etc in order to allow submission of the review BUT we didn't stay ov...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ROBBO57
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

The old church is a great place to stay. Very modern rooms with great service. Plenty of space if needed. We were traveling with our 10 month old son and the hosts were more than accommodating with all ours and his needs. I'm a golfer and the host helped me with hiring golf clubs. The local pub down the street, the "Empire" is great where you will meet salt of the earth people. This place is great for families or just for anybody looking for a nice relaxing time in the scottish country side. Plenty to do in the region.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank MountainMan32
Reviewed May 31, 2013

You are probably not supposed to do this but what the heck.
Is it really a year since we stayed at this wonderful BB &B?
Bed, Bread Breakfast. Yes you can have all three........and I would strongly recomend all three.
We really need to plan time in our diaries to get back there. I can honestly say my husband and I have never felt so welcomed or relaxed after a three night stay and how sad we were to leave.
Lesley I still feel as though I made a new best friend and David, well, you certainly kept us entertained. Great home , great food and great people.
We will be back as soon as I can get himself's diary in symmetry with mine!

Room Tip: I lied about the swimming pool!!! Pick the Cairns Suite.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank artistdhm
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Just spent the weekend with Lesley making bread and it was wonderful! As soon as I walked in through the door of the old church I felt at home and relaxed and comfortable throughout my time there. I did one day of basic bread making and another of speciality breads. Before I went I had tried bread making at home but never had consistent results. Lesley's tuition was superb and comprehensive - she must know everything you'd ever need to know about the processes of making bread. The classes are small and intimate (usually 4) and as a result we all felt like old friends by the end of the day. I had a sack load of loaves to take away with me but despite that I was desperate to see if I could replicate them on my own at home. And I'm delighted to say that my first loaf was a success! Thank you Lesley!! And I will definitely be back to the school for more tuition...think I'll try Italian bread day next. Can't wait.....

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Norma B

Been to The Old Church Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!