“Love this place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Muirkirk
The Old Church Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Muirkirk B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Love this place”
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

After reading a previous recent review I was a little apprehensive about if I was going to enjoy my stay. It just goes to show that people shouldn't right reviews if they are having a bad day!!

I couldn't have asked for a better stay. Lesley and David were so kind and thoughtful and terrific hosts. Nothing was too much trouble and the room I stayed in (cairn table) was absolutely stunning. It was huge more like a suite and all for £90 a night, the room was spotless and the views spectacular even on a wet day. There was such a selection on the hospitality tray that I had a hard time choosing. The shower room was very large and spacious and decorated to a high standard.

I had asked for a two course supper which was of restaurant quality. There was fresh much rooms, basil and goats cheese with a crostini of freshly baked bread. Second course was Moroccan pork on a bed of puy lentils with herbs and spices. I had never had this before but I will definitely be wanting it again!! Lesley runs her own baking school and also runs courses from the B&B so I will be wanting to go back to learn how to make the delicious bread.

The breakfast was excellent, full Scottish with again more fresh bread, and a great selection of musli and cereals and fresh juice and yogurt. Plenty to choose from.

I will definitely be visiting again as the place and hospitality is second to none.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gazwold7170

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

A wonderful "escape" into Ayreshire. The Old Church is has been restored into a welcoming, peaceful and very comfortable home.
Lesley has an ability to produce outstanding meals and run her courses simultanously; she is the only goddess of the kitchen!
The freezer is now bursting with sourdough goodies, Poolish and Levain starters are being created and Lesley has enthused a new hobby/ interest for me in quality bread making.
Thanks for all the kitchen chatter, Morag, Shirley and David. Feeling the benefit of the upper body workout today!
Will be back for more....but so much choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jill s
Pompano Beach
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Reading the reviews in tripadvisor. I simply do not believe them. We made the mistake of arriving early then turned away and told we could could come until 4pm. So for 5 hrs we drove around in heavy rain burning expensive gasoline. The rooms are tiny, no ensuite baths. If these folks are friendly, we didn't see it. We never felt comfortable. Then the cash only business. We had to give our breakfast order the previous evening. I mentioned whisky pancakes. The owner did not know what I was talking about. I suggest they remove it from their website! We could not wait to leave. This place is a gimmick located in the middle of nowhere! The glowing reviews, if real, these folks are easy to please.

Room Tip: do not get taken in by gimmicks.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JerrySPompanoBeach
TheOldChurch, Owner at The Old Church Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Sir,
I was very upset at reading your review this morning. As you have seen it is the only poor review out of over 100 reviews. All of these reviewers are completely genuine and I’m sure each and everyone of them would resent the implication that they have lied or are in some way are 'easy to please’.

We state on our website and all of our booking engines that arrival/check in time is from 4pm. I’m sorry if this was not clear. We try to be as flexible as possible with this. But arriving at 11am, it simply wasn’t possible to give you access as our outgoing guests had only just left the premises. I can’t understand why you had to drive around for 5 hours when there are so many tourist attractions, beaches and eateries well within driving distance. Dumfries House, for example, is only 15 minutes from us. Glasgow is 1 hour away. As for the price of fuel and the weather, I’m afraid both of those are out of our control.

All three or our rooms were available on the night you stayed with us. You could have chosen our Cairn Table Suite our largest room with ensuite shower-room. But you chose to stay in the Glespin double Room and as our website clearly states, this has a very large shared bathroom (of which you had sole private use the night you stayed with us)..

I’m surprised that you felt we were unfriendly and were desperate to leave especially given our interesting and lively hour-long conversation in the kitchen during and after breakfast.

We take payment upon departure by cash, cheque and Paypal via invoicing which covers most credit cards. Again, clearly stated on our website. We are a very small, family run business and cannot afford the luxury of card facilities on site.

As for the Whisky Pancakes. I can only apologise. You are quite right, my husband, who took your breakfast order (which we request the night before, simply to make running our business more cost-effective and to reduce waste), had never been asked for before!. And since your request, they have been removed from the website. Once again I can only apologise, and hope that the breakfast you received was to your liking. I think the clean plates said it all!

I’m so sorry you felt The Old Church was a gimmick. The building was a church since 1873 until we converted it in 2004. And yes, it is a little more remote. Many of our guests find the property charming and its remoteness adds to the appeal. Once again, our website has images of the church as it is now and as it used to be, and it’s clear from the website that we are in a rural community. I’m so sorry you made the wrong choice in your chosen location.
Lesley J Martin
Owner of The Old Church B&B
Eyemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I treated myself to staying a couple of nights in this stunningly converted building whilst taking part in 2 days of bread baking under the expert guidance of Lesley. Dinner was simply superb and breakfasts offer plenty of choice: all is meticulously planned and cooked with attention to every detail (so as a courtesy, do give advance notice of any dietary requirements so these can be catered for) and you can bring your own choice of wine which is great. On the first baking day we had tremendous fun in a mixed group of people, all of whom produced a range of beautiful loaves to take home despite being beginners. We used top quality organic ingredients. Lesley instils confidence and knowledge in everyone: I am an experienced home cook yet learned loads about ingredients, techniques and baking. I spent a second day learning how to bake some speciality breads, so my freezer is now stacked to the gunnels. The whole weekend was thoroughly enjoyable and I could not have been made more welcome by Lesley and David in their comfortable and immaculately kept home. I am not easily impressed, but have no hesitation in recommending both the b&b and breadmaking school aspects of Old Church. Can't wait to go back and take my husband to enjoy this special place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Orkney Islands
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I attended a 'Stay and Bake' weekend, baking first day, bread making the second. Lesley and David were so welcoming and friendly and made us feel relaxed and at home. Lesley's teaching skills made the whole experience a joy and on returning home has encouraged us to bake our own bread (with great success) and be more adventurous with new baking recipes. We also experienced a 7 course taster meal, which was delicious, as were all the other goodies we were served . Thanks to this foody experience we feel encouraged to continue to learn new skills and increase our culinary repertoire. Our accommodation was comfortable and the guest sitting room had a very peaceful and relaxing atmosphere. We would highly recommend a stay at The Old Church and look forward to staying again and include another baking course.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have just returned from a "Stay and Bake" weekend at Lesley's Kitchen to learn how to make bread by the Sourdough method. I have made bread with yeast for many years but have never mastered sourdough. Lesley's teaching of this skill was exactly what I'd hoped for - a big advantage of Lesley's kitchen is the small number of students she takes at a time - there were 4 of us, so everyone was able to ask questions and see exactly what what to do. I look forward to going on another course there.
Accommodation was very good and all the food (coffee, cakes, lunches and dinners) was delicious.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I attended a basic bread making coure at Lesleys Kitchen last Saturday. I live close by so didn't make use of the B&B.
I was made to feel very welcome by Lesley and after some coffee and cake we got direct into the baking - totally hands on. You certainly get a good work out dealing with 4 batches of dough before baking the loaves. I have been baking bread on and off but the basic course is definitely a must for those who have tried to teach themselves. A lot of myths were dispelled and kneading techniques sorted out. Lesley is an excellent teacher and I cannot recommend this course highly enough. I will definitely return for a more advanced course soon.

Room Tip: Didn't make use of rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Old Church Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!