“Perfect food - Great atmosphere”
Review of Lahar Cafe

Lahar Cafe
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Okato
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We went here for lunch yesterday with a group of 12. The service was great and all of our 12 meals came out at the same time. There was another large group dining at the same time so we were impressed by this as its not a very big place. The service was quick and friendly. Our meals were beautiful. All 12 guests were really happy with there choices again not an easy thing to do. The eggs were perfect and the mushrooms amazing but everything was so yummy. Will definitely go back here - well worth the drive from town. Great atmosphere. Thanks

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Laurent, talented chef and barista. Unique cafe, great for breakfast lunch, dinner, just coffee
n cake. Even takeaways! Best Pad Thai, great Friday and Saturday night menu. Great tastes, value for money and friendly service. Well worth the short drive.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

You can often judge a restaurant or cafe by the coffee they make. If you take sugar, the classic Italian test of an expresso is to see if the crema will hold a teaspoon of sugar. I find it works well with flat whites, and so I applied it to the cup I was served at Lahar.
Usually, a good flat white crema will hold the sugar for 30 seconds or more, I've found. At Lahar, it went on forever. In the end, I had to poke it with the teaspoon to make it drop. I have never encountered that anywhere in NZ before, and it spoke volumes about the coffee.
It also spoke for the standards at Lahar. From the comfy old sofas out front, to the friendly and rapid service, to the delicious food, this place is a treasure, and well worth the 20-minute drive south of New Plymouth to Okato.
You can tell the locals regard it as their mecca.
I risked another battered tarahiki and chips (after two bad experiences this year) and was delighted with the fresh tastes - fresh oil, crisp and golden batter, fresh salad (although too many stringy cuts to be eaten elegantly). Superb.
On a previous visit for morning tea, I tried a raspberry muffin. Wow. Like the coffee - unbeatable.
Lahar would be one of the best little cafes in NZ.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Some confusion here - all the till dockets [and believe me, I've got plenty of them] show "Cafe Lahar" so these two entities should really be merged. You'll then see my recent review. I'd second the comments here - the ambiance is casual and friendly, and there's usually some interesting art around the place. Just don't be surprised if you're served a meal that would trump some of the offerings in the most popular eateries around. [To moderator] This review itself should really be merged or appended to the above.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Quite apart from the fact that it's our local when we stay in Taranaki, the food and the coffee are great. The locals from far and near appreciate this - we just don't want it to get get too busy, so you'd better book for an evening meal if it's at the weekend! Laurent turns out some pretty flash meals, too, from a blackboard menu, in an informal setting with some outdoor seating.