“lovely spa” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Diseworth
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“lovely spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

This has been my first visit to the spa. I took my mum as an early mothers day present. She thoroughly enjoyed herself. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. We both had 2hrs of relaxing treatments then had champagne in the hot tub. Bliss!! The picnic lunch was yummy, and was a lovely touch given to you in a picnic hamper. We finished our day relaxing in the cafe with a cup of tea and cupcake that was served in vintage china cup and saucers and teapots. This spa really had a lovely cozy friendly atmosphere that the bigger spa no not have.
We will definitely be visiting again soon.

Visited March 2013
OwlHouseSpa, General Manager at Owl House Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review we are glad your mum and you had a lovely day with s and hope your mum is feeling nice and pampered ready for Mother's Day! We look forward to welcoming you back for more cupcakes and chilling out very soon!

Leicester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent relaxing place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visited the Owl House Spa last weekend for a hen weekend. The place is set back off the beaten tack with gorgeous views. The spa although not alot to do is decorated lovely and the staff and treatments were fantanasic!!!! We were made to feel so welcome and everything from the treatments to afternoon tea & snacks flowed perfectly. I would recomend this spa for a girly day out. There is only an outside jacuzzi and lots of small relaxation rooms to hang out in, but dont let that put you off as the place has a calming effect which is so relaxing and the staff were so nice and helpful.

Visited March 2013
OwlHouseSpa, General Manager at Owl House Spa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, we thoroughly enjoyed pampering the hen and your party and are really pleased that you had a great time with us! We can't wait to see you again with some pictures of the beautiful bride on the big day!
Nottingham
“Wonderful Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I visited the Owl House Spa last week and must say what a lovely place it is! It is set off the beaten track and as soon as you turn up the private drive way you feel like your cares fade away. The staff were all fantastic and absolutley nothing was too much trouble, I really felt like they went the extra mile with us. The treatment was brilliant and I really liked the lovely products used, my therapist even gave me a tissue at the end with some oil on to clear my nose as I had a cold. The decor is beautiful I absolutley loved the vintage style and there is so much attention paid to every detail and the gorgeous picnic baskets that our lunch was served in just finished it off.

I cant wait to go back to the Owl House!

Visited February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a kind review. We are glad we made your day with us very special and that you loved your treatments. We hope your feeling better and your cold has now passed,me can't wait for summer here at the owl house it's beautiful and can't wait to see you again soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“NOT a Spa!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I visited here with a friend three weeks ago and we were SO excited and SO needed some relaxation after an awful few months. The place I usually go to (£69 for a full day with 3 course a la carte lunch and extensive facilities) was full and I was struggling to find somewhere where I could have an Elemis facial and was chuffed to find this place. I paid £90 for 6 hours which included the Pig in Mud treatment and a full body massage and lunch.

Right from the start when I called to book confusion was apparent. Firstly I was told that we could have the Pig in Mud treament then any additional treatment/treatments which we could just choose on the day which I thought was great value.

However, when we arrived I felt as though the staff were surprised to see us. A really unprofessional welcome in a reception area full of boxes/deliveries. We took a seat in the cafe area which is ridiculously small and not relaxing at all as all the tables are on top of each other. We ordered a pot of tea which came complete with a wodge of limp lettuce stuck to it. The girls working there are all really nice but young and almost out of their depth I found. We kind of just sat around whilst the girls just kept walking through and laughing dead loud and being silly which was really irritating. We were then given conflicting information about the deal we had booked - told we couldnt choose an treatment and could only have the back massage - it was very annoying as the girl kept walking off and checking everytime I asked a question. We were given our treatment times and told to relax in the hot tub. We had a tour around (that didnt take long seeing as its so small!) and proceeded to get changed for the hot tub only to then be told we had to go for our Pig in Mud straight away?!?! The changing rooms arent very nice. Infact the whole place seems to be geared around the owners obvious taste for vintage chic and no consideration given to practicality of comfort. The lockers are ridiculous small square things some of which are really high up. It also smellls like someone has done a smelly pooh and is really offputting - its clearly the drains or maybe even from the Pig in Mud cubicle thing upstairs but its fowl! The showers are also far too small and only two of them. There is nowhere to hang clothes and the key fobs are MASSIVE wooden hearts which are just a pain to carry around. The Pig in Mud was ok but we only had a tiny bit of mud to use and I felt like I was sat in a shower cubicle it was a bit weird. The lunch was ok but I was a bit disheartened to see an Asda home delivery van pull up outside! It just all felt like it was a bit false to me. The "glass of bubbly" was extremely cheap tasting very low alcohol - not sure what it was but it wasnt good. The back massages we had were excellent although the therapist that did mine was really ignorant and whilst I tried to make conversation and show an interest she didnt answer me and looked at the other therapist for answers all the time and when I asked her "what exactly are the knots you get in your shoulders?" she said "oh, erm, I dont know" - ?!?!?!?!.

What REALLY annoyed me was after out facials (which were rubbish - I have Elemis facials regularly) whilst I was still lying down the therapist came in with a selection of products literally shoving them in my face. I didnt want to be rude and say I get my products cheaper direct from Elemis so just said Id have a think and she just said "well this is the last one so Ill leave it at reception for you". Also, my friend was shown a gift set of trial sizes (which is ALWAYS a free gift from Elemis/other spas) for £29 - what a joke! When I was having my facial I asked what mask she was using (I knew it wasnt the correct one) and what did it do and she just started laughing and said "I dont know" - honestly it was so insulting.

After the treatments we went to the hot tub and it was VILE. The lid had clearly been left off for ages as the water was tepid, there was GREEN SLIME all the way around and DIRTY WINE GLASSES!!! It was just foul. We stayed for 2 minutes and got out feeling filthy and after I had showered my skin started stinging and I had red blotches everywhere. The staff claim its because people use it after having products applied but we all know that cant be true when it looks like that first thing in the morning and there is a distinct lack of cleaning chemical smell! It was just dirty.

Basically, it will never compete with a "proper" spa with real facilities - all this place has is the dirty hot tub, day beds and bean bags. The staff, although pleasant, are inexperienced (except for the tall blonde lady who was very good) and immature, giggling and walking around doing nothing. I was looking at the Bare Minerals make up and asked for help and the girl was clueless and all of the products were all over the place. I am so wound up I have avoided doing my online banking because if I see the transaction it will annoy me that I spent so much and came away feeling dirty, unrelaxed and not looking like I had just had a facial!! In fact everyone there that day kept rolling their eyes at each other and moaning that they had not been given any information or given confliciting information about treatment times etc - we all thought we were being picky as individuals but all convinced one another that was not the case!!!

I thought it was disgraceful.

6 Thank 70Jasmine
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to leave your review regarding your visit to us.
The package you had booked with us was our Langley Love Birds package which consisted of a pig in mud treatment and a full body massage. There was no confusion on our part when you arrived, the only reason our therapist needed to check availability was because you and your friend both asked if you could swop your massage to a facial instead. We agreed to this even though this was not included in the package you had booked. However, after agreeing to swop it, you both changed your minds back to have the massage again and subsequently then decided to add the facials on as an extra. This was not a problem for us, however it seems you thought we were confused. This was not the case, we were just simply trying to meet your requests.

Our spa is a converted barn and stable and is marketed as a Boutique Day Spa. We only take an average of 25 guests a day, and do not try to pretend to be a large commercial spa. We work tirelessly to provide a personal service and try to make our clients feel special. I am sorry you did not feel this way.

Because of our location and size we do have deliveries on a regular basis. These deliveries mainly consist of fresh laundry, general cleaning products and beverages. All our food and cakes are homemade and the picnics are created using local produce, the delivery you mentioned was not for any of our food supplies.

We take great pride that our powder room has all the finishing touches to include the best products and even ghd straighteners. Should you have asked for a lower locker, this would not of been a problem.

We pride ourself on our treatments and as part of this service all our therapists are trained to recommend aftercare. This is never intended to come across as a hard sell, if the therapists did not recommend aftercare they are not actually providing you with the full service you are paying for.
We always have different offers on our Elemis products and sell them all at the recommended retail price advised by Elemis.

Our pig in mud treatment is causing some problems with our hot tub purely due to its main product 'mud'! I can assure you the hot tub is not dirty and is consistently monitored. We have to monitor and log the chemical content three times a day to maintain a safe environment for all our clients. However, we have been keeping a very close eye on this particular situation and can confirm we are awaiting the arrival of our new top of the range hot tub that has a completely separate filtration plant that is capable of operating a 10 meter swimming pool! We are confident that this will resolve this problem.

It saddens us to read a review like this and do not know where we went so wrong because you had both been enquiring about the memberships we offered? We are a relatively new family business and take on board constructive feedback. It is a shame that you never felt you could have mentioned any of your comments to us, because we would of loved you to of spoken to us at the time. We always have a manager and duty manager at the spa.
Stamford, Lincolnshire
“Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Owl House is set in delightful grounds. I went with my Mum for the day on Valentines day. We rang ahead as we were late and this was fine as they were very reassuring and accommodating to our needs and adjusted the time scales for our treatments. Upon arrival we were made very welcome by staff and shown around. The decor is very elegant and inviting. I love the bed and beans bags for people to chill out on. All staff are helpful and friendly. The hot tub was great, warm, exceptionally clean and relaxing. I noticed in other reviews that people say that it is not always clean this could well be that people DO NOT always shower properly after a mud treatment and are getting into the hot tub with remnants of mud on them. It quite clearly states to shower and to remove all mud from their body after treatment. The Rasul steam room was a relaxing and enjoyable experience, l love the twinkling stars and I ensured all mud was rinsed throughly. Every where was clean and very tidy. My facial and head massage was heavenly. I had a manicure and also my eyebrows done which I was very happy with. I had two different beauticians who were equally friendly, informative about what would happen and excellent at what they do. The lunch was delicious a perfect amount for me and topped off with a yummy brownie. Personally I would recommend The Owl House to everyone, it was a relaxing and enjoyable experience that I shall repeat in the future. I noticed some reviews state there isnt much else to do: well I'm not quite sure what other things people would want to do as I went there to be pampered and relax which is exactly what I did. My Mum also thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. A fabulous day and well done to all staff as they make it to be a day where you feel special and pampered!

Visited February 2013
Thank you for your warm review we are very pleased that you had a lovely day and enjoyed all we have to offer, making you feel special and pampered is what we are all about and it makes us happy to hear this is how you felt! We really look forward to welcoming you back for more pampering very soon.