“A Mixture of Excellent and Disappointment” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Diseworth
Loughborough, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A Mixture of Excellent and Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was looking to take my daughter and a friend to a spa for their 15th birthdays, I contacted Owl House and they agreed we could go (most spas wont let under 16s go). The spa was very accommodating and managed to fit us in at short notice.
On arrival we were offered drinks, the packages we had booked (snowy owl package) did say hot chocolate and nibbles on arrival but we were told that hot chocolate was not included in the welcome drink but that was ok we had a nice cup of tea.
We got settled in, the spa is lovely, very pretty and relaxing. Once settled I was told the 2 girls could not have the treatments we had booked (and paid for) due to their age, the spa knew this when I booked the treatments. This was rectified by replacing the treatments booked (back massage and pig in mud) with a longer facial and a mini manicure but obviously was not what we had been looking forward to.
The girls were keen to try out the hot tub, this was luke warm and they had to get out and get in the shower - I alerted the staff and they found the tub had been turned down, the girls were given complimentary hot chocolates to warm them up!
I was provided with times for the treatments on arrival but due to the change of treatments, the times changed but I was not given an update and so had to keep asking what time the next treatment was.
Lunch was fabulous, there was plenty of it and it was really yummy, we really enjoyed it.
I had a fabulous back massage and we all enjoyed our facials and manicures. The treatments were ace.
The girls tried the hot tub again mid afternoon, it was still cold - I mentioned this to the member of staff who said that it was because the lid had been left off but this was not the case as the girls had to ask a member of staff to take the lid off.
After 3pm the showers in the changing rooms were stone cold, I mentioned this to the a member of staff who said it was due to a number of people all leaving at the same time. I was told there was an electric shower I could use on the other side of the building, but I had finished by that time.
The relaxation rooms were nice but the building generally was cold, I had my manicure in the corridor and was so cold I struggled to relax, there does not appear to be any radiators in the corridor and the area where we ate lunch was extremely cold.
On the way out we were given the 2 cup cakes the girls had ordered on the house to compensate for the mix up with the treatments.
I spent £350 on this day, the cold building, luke warm hot tub and cold showers really let the experience down. This is a place I would see myself returning to again and again but would probably wait until the Summer months.

Visited February 2013
OwlHouseSpa, General Manager at Owl House Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your constructive review, we are sorry about any confusion with your day and please be assured that we did all we could to try and rectify this on the day. We take on board the issues you have raised and will try and rectify these, we are now hoping the drain smell is all sorted and we are expecting our new top of the range hot tub very soon.

We are glad that your daughters enjoyed some pampering and hope to see you all again in the summer, please keep your eyes on our website for some great summer offers.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Could be so much more!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I visited the owl house spa yesterday as a birthday treat with my mum purchaced via groupon. The position of the spa is lovely, set amongst country fields.
We entered the spa straight into the reception area, I was a little disappointed with our greeting as the two girls sat on reception looking at the computer didn't look straight up to welcome us, in fact I had to brake the silence with an over the top hi!!! .
Once we had been booked in a very plesent girl showed us to a table and asked us to fill in some forms while we had our arrival drinks, after about 10-15mins we where shown around the spa, the only thing I would suggest which would of improved this would have been for us to be able to put our bags away into our lockers first as it was a pain carting these around whilst passing people in corridors, also they were heavy!! an area to hang your coats also would of been nice as I took a long coat and had to squash it into my locker, at the end of our day it was all creased. At the end of our tour we where taken into the changing rooms/powder room which I must say had a very unpleasant drain smell which got remarkably stronger by the showers and as you opened them, such a shame as it puts you off using the showers.
As our treatments weren't for another two hours, so we opted to have our lunch ( which we pre booked as an extra £15 per person ) which was the shares picnic, it arrived in a lovely picnic hamper, the food was nice but not really worth £15 per person. We then relaxed for a while before our treatments, we didn't go in the hot top as it didn't look as clean as we would expect ( scum marks ) .
Treatment time! We where both taken up to the Rasul steam room and given instruction on what to do ( apply the scrub to our selfs and relax in the steam chamber while sitting under twinkly lights ) after about 20mins the lights and shower came on and you wash yourself off, our skin did feel nice after and moisturised with the oils from the scrub, we only had one small pot of scrub between us but actually with a bit of water added to it it went quite far, we then got dried off and went back downstairs to wait for our next treatment.
After a short wait I was called through for my Elemis facial and rose therapy hand renewal treatment, the beautishion I had was lovely really friendly profeshional and thorough, my mother had a different beautishion but didn't seem to have as comprehensive facial as I did, but she still enjoyed it, I deffinanty advise these two treatments.
All in all a very pleasant day particularly because of the excellent beautishion I had, thanks x

1 Thank Sallytupp
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We are sorry to hear that elements of your visit were not up to our high standards. You will be pleased to hear that we have had extensive investigations into the drain smell and believe that we have now sorted the problem, we are also expecting delivery of a brand new top of the range hot tub in the next few weeks, I am sorry that you didnt notice the coat stand in the changing area please be assured that if a member of staff was aware we would have hung your coat up for you.

We are pleased you enjoyed your treatments and hope that you will visit us again soon, we try to excees all our guests expectations here at the Owl House and hope that we can exceed yours on your next visit to us.
“Owl house spa is such a lovely little place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I loved my day at owl house spa. It's a cute vintage place, the staff were so friendly and welcoming. My treatments were great!! We had the picnic lunch which was lovely. I'd definitely go back.

Thank you for your lovely review, we certainly hope your coming back to us very soon, check out our website for more up and coming offers.
Sheffield
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful. Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I visited the Owl House Spa yesterday with a friend and we had a wonderfully relaxing day away from it all. The surroundings are beautiful, the treatments are fantastic (especially the back massage) and the staff are friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. We floated out of the Owl House feeling head-to-toe pampered and totally relaxed. This was my third visit and I can't wait to return.

Visited February 2013
Thank you for your warm review, we are looking forward to seeing you against for your forth visit very soon!
UK
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Fabulous day at the day spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went with my husband as a treat for his birthday. I had booked it via ineedpampering.com and it included the mud spa, a 25 min treatment and afternoon tea. We each booked an additional treatment. The venue itself is cosy, the staff are wonderful and flexible, and the tea was delicious and plentiful. All in all a lovely day, and we have been to many spas in the past including Springs and Ragdale amongst others. This compares really well, and we were pleased to see quite a few couples there.

Visited February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a lovely review, we are glad you had a nice day with us and enjoyed everything we have to offer. We cant wait to see you both again soon.