“Bit of a Walk!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mackworth
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Bit of a Walk!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed here for 1 nite on the 20th March....and let my colleague book the Hotel...he told me it was in Derby....after a 1.5 hour walk from the Train Station....we discovered it wasnt exactly in Derby! but in the surrounding countryside!

But as others have alluded to in their reviews, this is a Premier Inn with a twist in that the rooms are all converted stables. The rooms are small but supurbly finished and have all the amenities you would expect in a Premier Inn. If you are staying in the Winter, I would recommend you dont turn the radiator off, as the heat soon leaves the room.

The menu at the 'Maudy Arms' was excellent, lots of choice for vegetarians. Good Value and Prompt service from very friendly & knowledgable staff....which was the same for the Premier Inn receptionists.

I would have liked to see a bus timetable on display in reception, to save the receptionist having to print one off...maybe one for the cost conscience Premier Inn to think about.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this Premier Inn and would cerainly stay here on a return to Derby (or the surrounding countryside)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Nicola H, Manager at Premier Inn Derby North West Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel, all feedback is welcomed and appreciated. Your points of improvements will be passed onto the Hotel and will hopefully work well for future customers. We are delighted you would recommend our Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I have a very realxing and peaceful night away - not far from home, but the discounted price made it very affordable. The room was comfortable, although the furniture seemed a little old fashoined and tired. Very friendly staff and well situated for an excellent evening meal at the Mundy Arms across the car park.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicola H, Manager at Premier Inn Derby North West Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel, all feedback is welcomed and greatly appreciated. We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was relaxing and peaceful. We are sorry to hear that you had a few problems with your room. I do hope the won't deter you from staying with us again and hope that we can welcome you back again soon.
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Good friendly reception, nice clean and comfortable room, Breakfast in the Mundy Arms was very good. The cooked option was actually "freshly cooked"!

No gripes at all really, all the staff we came into contact with were helpful and friendly.

Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing the Hotel, all feedback is welcomed and appreciated. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thought the breakfast and service was very good. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here for business purposes one evening in February. This is not your usual style of Premier inn being next door to an old pub and the bedrooms are located in converted stable blocks. The room was rather tired but clean and I received excellent service from all staff I came into contact with throughout my stay - a very warm welcome at the start through to when I left.

I found the room very cold despite having the heating turned up to full and found no extra blankets in the room for the bed. As I was alone I ended up with the duvet folded over itself to give me double layers!

I chose not to eat in the pub for my evening meal as I was looking for more of a light bite and did not see this on the menu so I travelled to a Beefeater a couple of miles away.

Breakfast was very disappointing with all mugs out for use being dirty, which I pointed out and was led to believe was a dishwasher problem. The toaster made a terrible job of ruining the crumpets (not by burning I might add) and so I enjoyed a porridge instead. To be fair the guy in charge of breakfast initiated a refund of the cost of breakfast without me asking which was appreciated although I did not take it.

Overall I prefer the modern Premier Inn style with an attached known restaurant.

Room Tip: Away from the road
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank HillsonHols
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Derby North West Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell short of your expectations. Please be assured at Premier Inn we take all feedback seriously and we would like the opportunity to investigate these issues further. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

It was the ideal location for my weekend of shopping in Derby and walking in the Derbyshire dales. It's so different from other premier inn hotels I've stopped in with the layout of converting stables into rooms. The only let down was the lack of modern flat screen tv. I would recommend those on a budget to use the Mackworth hotel for their evening meals as its 2 for £10 just 100yards down the road on the left.

• Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed in a number of premier inns, this one is quite different. No long corridors, lifts or stairs but more of bungalow accomodation. Staff really friendly and helpful, just want you want after a long drive. Less than a 10 minute drive to the centre of Derby but the hotel feels like you are in the middle of nowhere. Room was good size with standard purple everything. The only reason it doesn't get 5 star is the lack of free Internet.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James B
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

A very warm welcome on arrival.Rooms in pairs set out as small bungalows - may have been stable blocks? Main bedroom was warmish but bathroom cold.Slept well in very large bed. 30mins free internet was adequate bit 24hrs for £3 is an option.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mackworth
Premier Inn Derby West
Premier Inn Derby West
#13 of 29 in Derby
The Farmhouse at Mackworth
Premier Inn Derby City Centre (Cathedral Quarter)
Jurys Inn Derby
Jurys Inn Derby
#4 of 29 in Derby
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,646 reviews
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
The Morley Hayes Hotel

Been to Premier Inn Derby North West Hotel? Share your experiences!