“So disappointed!!”

Ranked #4 of 15 Restaurants in Polzeath
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I've been coming to Polzeath now for the last 9 years, and on several occassions have eaten here. Last year was okay, but nothing to really get too excited about. As I was here with my partner this time and we had planned our meals (we were camping) to include a trip to the pub the first night here, I suggested that we eat at the Oystercatcher as it was just up the road from the campsite, so nice and local. Now we called in just before 8:00PM on the Sunday when the World Cup Final was on,but this shouldnt really have made any difference as also it wasnt even during the 'height' of the summer season. When ordering food we were told it would be at least a minimum of an hours wait or possibly longer. Having made the choice of eating here and with the time being what it was we decided to bite the bullet and still order as I said the food was okay from last year. We both ordered burgers and then having a drink sat and waited for our food. Whilst sitting there and chatting it then transpired that other patrons had ordered food and had been waiting 11/2 hours with no sign of food. This didnt bode well on hearing this, then just before they actually spoke to a member of the serving staff, another customer who had arrived well after them received their food. Well the other group were not happy at all! The evening carried on in the same vein with us, a couple who had arrrived well after us and had ordered food got theirs before us, had eaten it and left even before ours had arrived. Eventually, about 1 15mins after ordering we got our food to find that the burgers didnt come with burger buns but bits of French bagette because they had run out buns!! Really!! On eating the food, the french fries were luke warm to cold, depending where you picked them from and as for the burgers, well I had ordered the Sloppy Joe, supposedly a burger with chilli served in it. The burger was lukewarm and the mince was cold and felt like I was eating granules of cat litter! The same could be said for my girlfriends burger and fries it too was lukewarm to cold. I had over hear the servering member of staff say to another group they had been caught out by the rush! Come on, this is a pub in a busy holiday resort and should be able to cope even with a slight swell in numbers, personally I think the kitchen staff wanted to watch the match and werent interested in cooking the food! Though they did give us a full refund and were apologetic I would have preferred to have had the meal as I went to bed still feeling hungry. I certainly wont eat here again in a hurry.

StAustellManagement, General Manager at The Oystercatcher, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review about the poor experience that you received last summer at the Oystercatcher. With regards to the terrible standard of the food and level of service you encountered I can only apologise - we certainly took your comments very seriously and have been looking into the points raised. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that due to feedback about incidents such as the one you have experienced, we have taken some very in depth steps to prevent future re-occurrences. We now have a new head chef and an updated food menu featuring more freshly cooked local produce which is being very well received by our guests. We feel that we are now a lot more consistent in what we offer here at the Oystercatcher and we certainly hope that you would consider visiting us again in the future so that we can provide you with a better experience. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Called in for lunch to meet old friends. Parking was easy (a bonus) and the place looked attractive, well decorated interior and large decking area. But the stink from the lavatories inside was almost overpowering. Was there a plumbing problem that day? (in which case some apology/explanation was in order) or is it like this all the time?
Decking area was a bit untidy. The glass tops removed from the tables, which were then unstable for drinks and food. There is a sliding sunshade but this wasn't operating despite very strong sunlight.
Drink were OK but wine as the usual awful pub muck. Food was quite good but very chain restaurant looking menu and much more could have been done. Service was rather dotty. Demand for extra payment when we asked for more bread.
It is a great location and could be so much better. I'd use it again if we happened to be there but certainly wouldn't travel to seek it out. Sad really, as it could so easily have been really rather good.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on TripAdvisor about the visit you made to the Oystercatcher last summer. We are sorry to hear that the experience you had fell short of your expectations and would like you to know that we certainly take your comments very seriously and have looked into the points raised. Here are some of our findings to the points raised; It seems that you are quite right in your assessment that there were indeed some plumbing issues on the day that you visited which have accounted for the smells that you experienced. I would like to apologise for the lack of communication that you experienced over this matter during your visit and reassure you that the smell is not 'normal' for us. To make matters worse, we also had some technical issues with our sun roof over the week in question. Due to feedback from guests such as yourself we now have some parasols out on our decking so people can have the choice as to whether or not they wish to be in the sun whilst sitting outside, as even when it is working, the retractable roof is good for keeping out wet weather, but tends to block out all of the light when it is deployed, which is not suitable for a lot of our guests. I would like to take the opportunity to let you know that since your visit the team have undergone extensive training, with focus being put on customer service and our food offering. We now have a new head chef and an updated food menu featuring more freshly cooked local produce which is being very well received by our guests. These changes have only come about due to feedback from people such as yourself and for this reason I would like to thank you. I hope that you would consider visiting with us again in the future to give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We called here twice while on holiday in Cornwall and enjoyed both meals. The staff were friendly and efficient and the food was good.

A shame about the misplaced apostrophes on the menu but you can't have everything

Thank you for your review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your visits to the Oystercatcher last summer! It is always pleasing to receive positive comments regarding our food and our customer service. We now have a new menu, so there should be less misplaced apostrophes when we see you next and we do hope to see you back here very soon!

kind regards

Reviewed June 20, 2014

I called oystercatcher early day time and got told kitchen shuts at 9 I got there at half 8 and got told kitchen has closed and also they haven't got enough food. I'm so disappointed with them as I work for st austell brewery pub as like wise as they do as well. Gob smacked!!!!!!

I am really sorry that you have had such a negative experience on your visit to the Oystercatcher last summer, I would like to apologise on behalf of the whole team. Your comments have been shared with the relevant team members in order to ensure that this type of thing doesn’t happen in the future. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that due to feedback about incidents such as the one you have experienced, we have taken some in depth steps to prevent future re-occurrences. We now have a new head chef and an updated food menu featuring more freshly cooked local produce which is being very well received by our guests and although there are still some constraints as to what we are able to do in the kitchen area due to size and layout issues, especially during busy days where we experience very high levels of trade, we feel that we are now a lot more consistent in what we offer. We are disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied and would like to apologise for the shortfall on this occasion. We really appreciate the time you have taken to leave feedback and hope that you will take the opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We were staying opposite the pub and enjoyed drinks outside as well as for Lunch and Dinner. The food was tasty (especially the monkfish curry) and brilliant value each time, the staff were friendly and the local ale was really well kept. Perfect for families and couples looking for a no fuss quality pub.

Thank you for the review that you gave us last summer. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us while you were staying in Polzeath. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments, we do hope to see you back here very soon!