“Potters Brewery and Resort - Hunter Valley”

Potters Hotel & Brewery
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nulkaba
Sydney, Australia
“Potters Brewery and Resort - Hunter Valley”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We booked for a two night stay special through Groupon. I think some of the other reviewers are pretty harsh. We thought Potters was fantastic. The room was fine - was clean (not five star but I already knew that). The guy that took us on the brewery tour was very knowledgable and friendly and we really enjoyed it.
Thought the food in the restaurant was great - and the service was fantastic. I have worked in the hospitality industry in senior management for quite a few years and I couldn't complain about a thing. We got as much as I expected plus a bit more.
It's close to everything and I think it is great that there is a pub on site with gaming facilities.
I have no hesitation in recommending Potters to any of my friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robyn D
Michelle B, Front Office Manager at Potters Hotel & Brewery, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for providing such positive feedback. We also greatly appreciate your recognition for previous reviews. Unfortunately these types of sites can sometimes become forums for negative feedback. We have in excess of 200 guests each and every weekend stay with us and receive a lot of positive feedback directly through in-house surveys not many take the time to provide this feedback. Thank you again for sharing your stay with us on Trip Advisor as a guest who genuinely enjoyed their stay. We do aim to exceed our guests expectations and glad with have done so on this occasion. We hope to welcome you back soon to Potters Hotel Brewery Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have stayed here a few times over the last few years. The carpets and upholstery are showing their age and the room was musty. The service in the bar and restaurant was good. It's the sort of place I used to recommend but now I am less sure.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Michelle B, Front Office Manager at Potters Hotel & Brewery, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for taking to the time review our resort. Potters Hotel Brewery Resort is constantly undergoing renovations and improvements. We are most pleased to advise our lounges/sofa beds have just been replaced. It is an ongoing process and we will continue to improve our resort including our accommodation. I have noticed you reviewed us back in May 2012 and gave a positive response. I hope next time you stay with us you will be pleased with the changes that have taken place. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife Michelle and I were booked in for two nights to do a bit of wine tasting etc in the Hunter. The rooms are nothing flash pretty basic really, we took advantage of an extra cheap offer through Cudo.com so maybe that had a bearing on the room we were allocated. The food is Pub Grub there is a tennis court, swimming pool, BBQ area and 10 in house made beers to choose from. My biggest wrap I would have to give the place is the friendly staff they bent over backwards to make our stay enjoyable. The night we ordered a pizza each was memorable for all the wrong reasons, poor effort but as I said the rest of the meals were okay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle B, Front Office Manager at Potters Hotel & Brewery, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our resort. Our staff have a genuine interest in ensuring our guests enjoy their stay with us and we are most pleased to hear your positive feedback in its regard. I have forwarded on your comments regarding the food to our Brasserie. We hope to see you again soon!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We booked with a special deal - nights accom. cont.breakfast, wine tour and bottle of wine. We were met with very pleasant staff and gave us hot breakfast voucher. (it was our wedding anniversary so special occasion). Had a quick seafood pizza which had a little too much chilli but no problem still ate it. (maybe put on self next time?) Great wine tour with Bob (3 wineries, choc shop and smelly cheese) back to room which by that time needed lights on. Not good for reading but ok. Went for "romantic dinner for two" ordered rump steak medium and barramundi fish. Unfortunately hubbies chips cold - no problem just re cooked them. My turn - Steak? It was full of gristle and even the head waitress commented on it and ordered me another. My husband ate his meal while I waited patiently (pinching a chip or two) Steak arrived (they are huge hanging off the plate but about 1/4 thin? rump? Oh well preceded to eat steak, definitely needed steak knife, it was really tough. I was embarrassed the first time to say something about the steak but a second time?? Waitress came to me to ask how steak was. "sorry but it is really tough" She is sorry too and offers cake and coffee. This I accept as I was really embarrassed I don't ever return food but at $27 and not being able to eat it I thought I should. Thanked the waitress for looking after us. Returned to villa - No hot water, hubby looking around looking for switch. Oh well. Next morning hooray hot water. Off to breakfast. Bacon eggs tomato hash brown - Coffee $5.50??? and you had to pay for tea and juice even though there was a tea urn and tea bags + juice on table. Our voucher was for continental but resort gave us "upgrade for hot meal" I think paying for tea and juice is very petty. Any way hubby had a coffee (he was embarrassed to say forget it) and I had a cup of tea (free) back at the villa??? Really a tea bag or glass of juice I feel is still pretty petty. I understand a nice fresh cup of coffee but $5.50??? Any way girl at counter could not refund any money as we had not charged it to our room. She was very apologetic. So I had a coffee and cake for $27.00 (hubby got the best deal!!) Any way place is ok, forget the steaks. enjoy the ambience and friendly staff but don't go for romantic dinner, as you will probably eat separately.

Room Tip: Didn't really check any others out. Sorry cant help
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Michelle B, Front Office Manager at Potters Hotel & Brewery, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to compile this review. We appreicate your feedback and it is with comments such as yours we are able to review our processes to constantly improve our services to guests. In relation to your comment regarding the Hot water services, the villas can run out of hot water if the water has been drained from your villa tank. Unfortunately, there can be a wait time as these fill back up but is rarely a lengthy period. I have forwarded your brasserie complaint to the necessary department, if you would like to contact me on michelle@pottershbr.com.au we can discuss this in further detail. Would love to welcome you back to our beautiful resort in the future and we hope to see you again.
New South Wales Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

6 of us spent a lovely two nights and 3 days in the hunter valley from saturday 27th July. We arrived at Potters and checked in. We then tried to make a booking for dinner to be told the restaurant is booked out. We made this booking about 3 months ago and at no stage were we advised to book the restaurant ahead. We then asked if there was anywhere else within walking distance for dinner. No you will probably have to go into town. We didnt want to do that after driving around all day. We just wanted to relax at our home for the next couple of days. Reception was not very customer focused at all. No recommendation where to go. We then ordered a cab into town. Which we did ourselves as reception did not offer to make the call. I am so glad that one in our party decided to go to the bar and ask if there was anywhere we could eat for dinner close by - to be told you can eat here!! Not at the restaurant but there are plenty of other places you can sit and enjoy a meal. Why werent we advised of this at reception.? We cancelled the taxi and made our way to enjoy some very nice meals. No complaints from any of us about the quality or size of portions. All ordered different things and were not disappointed. The rooms were pleasant and clean and certainly value for what we paid. Breakfast hot food was a bit pricy as you had to also pay for tea and coffee but if you had the continental at $10 that was free. Please just throw in a cuppa of a morning without extra charge its only a tea bag and water and coffee from the jug. It was a nice weekend but please a little more training in the customer service department in reception is needed. Dont know if this is all staff but it certainly was on saturday around 5pm. Yes we would recommend it - but hope it improves a bit on service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Michelle B, Front Office Manager at Potters Hotel & Brewery, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We appreicate your feedback as it allows us to make positive improvements to our resort. Staff at Potters have a genuine love of customer service and i do apologise if your experience in front office was not up to the standard expected. We do have new staff undergoing training in that area therefore knowledge base in relation to other resturants in the area can be limited during that training period.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We only stayed one night but were very happy. Our room was clean and comfortable - the carpet is a little old and there was nowhere to sit in the room except on the bed. Only one chair at the desk and another armchair which meant one person was comfortable and the other was not. We ate breakfast at the bistro and were not disappointed. Our meal the night before was also very good. We somehow managed to upend a seafood pizza onto the floor and it was replaced without fuss. Rates were very reasonable. There was a huge log fire in the bistro. We didn't do the brewery tour but managed to do the beer tasting which was a lot of fun. The hotel is set on a few acres with the rooms at the back of the property behind the pool and spa area. Someone needs to collect the lemons - it was a shame to see them on the ground under the two rows of healthy trees. Internet was free. Property backed onto bush and overall the location and layout were great. Our bathroom had a shower over the bath - next time I will ask for a room where there is a walk in shower (for safety's sake).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle B, Front Office Manager at Potters Hotel & Brewery, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you Jill for taking the time to provide other travellers with such a detailed review. It truely is fantastic to hear of guests enjoying their stay. We hope to see you next time you decide to visit the Hunter Valley
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I dined at the restaurant and ordered the chicken salad - roughly $20 - when we got it, the chicken was so over cooked you couldn't bite it, and the corn and blocked chesse was out of a can - i have never complained about a meal before, but i had to this time, just terrible - and when i complained, we weren't even offered anything in return - get this dish off your menu - and pick up your standards, use real food and cook with feeling!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tigerchris75
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some constructive criticism. It is with reviews such as yours we are able to review our products and services and make constant improvements to our menu. We apologise that your expectations were not met and hope that you come back to our Old Brickworks Brassiere in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Nulkaba hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nulkaba
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Hunter Valley Resort
Hunter Valley Resort
#8 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Potters Hotel & Brewery? Share your experiences!