“Perfect place to stay in the coffee region”
Review of La Posada del Cafe

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salento
La Posada del Cafe
Ranked #4 of 42 Salento B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2013

La Posada del Cafe is a lovely little place ideally located in the centre of Salento. We stayed there for three nights and really enjoyed our time there. The rooms are clean, comfortable and cosy and the breakfast is incredible. The owner, Maria Elena, is so kind and helpful. She speaks good English and is more than happy to help you organise your time exploring the area. Hiking in the Valle de Cocora is a must, as well as a walk to one of the coffee farms in the area. Salento is a gorgeous, small and sleepy town/village, beautiful buildings and very friendly people. There are good restaurants and there's lots to do. We had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Posada del Cafe

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Over the years my wife and I have stayed in dozens of B&B's. La Posada Del Cafe rates very high. Even though the room was small, it was clean, the bed was comfortable, there was adequate hot water, the location was perfect, the breakfast excellent, the price very reasonable and the establishment was very secure. The inner courtyard and garden is beautiful, Maria, the owner, is an exceptional lady. Maria will do anything she can to make your stay a memorable one. She has lived in Salento for many years and knows the region very well. She is very polite, can be humorous at times, and speaks English. We checked out other places during our stay, and they may be quieter and/or larger, but lack the personal touch, "flavor", and central location.
We had a little bit of difficulty finding her email on the web, so I will list it here if you plan to make a reservation. The email is malenacafe@yahoo.com .
We ate at many of the restaurants throughout the town and our favorite ones were Pizzeria Restaurante La Eliana and American Brunch. For some romantic dinner places Maria has some good recommendations.
Salento is well worth the effort to get to. There are numerous things to do-hiking, coffee plantation tours, shopping, and teja to name a few.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I booked five nights at La Posada del Cafe but stayed only two nights. Here’s why: Malena is a sweet and helpful host, and the breakfast was excellent one day, mediocre the next, but the room I was given just inside the entrance -- Room #2 -- was grossly inadequate for the 275,000 COP I was to pay.

(I had read online reviews before my arrival, many of which commented on the noisy rooms by the street, but when I arrived and requested a room away from the street I was told that the rooms farther back were not available.)

Room 2 measures 8 ft x 8 ft and contains a single bed, about a meter wide, and a small bedside table with a lamp resting on it. That’s it. To pay 275,000 COP for five nights in a room with no furniture and no space to place my clothes would have meant living out of my suitcase for five days. The room is just too small and suitable only for a thin monk. (Unfortunately, the adjoining space devoted to the 4 ft x 8 ft bathroom would have been better employed were it torn down. Tear out the bathroom, knock down the wall, and you will have at least enough space to create a livable hotel room that can accommodate a chair and a chest of drawers. But that won’t solve all of Room 2’s problems.)

It gets worse: directly above Room 2’s bedroom door is a transom that measures about 8” high and most of the width of the door, about 2.5 feet, that is merely filled with a wooden grill. This space is effectively open to the hallway leading out the front door. Since guests cannot enter the hotel without ringing the bell, everyone entering or leaving the hotel walks right by Room 2, most of them talking, the doorbell ringing, them being greeted by Malena as they return to the hotel and all the street noise, all of it, dumps right into Room 2.

Same thing with the bathroom: a larger louvered window, no screen or covering, so more noise enters the room from the interior courtyard along with the additional treat of large moths which fluttered around the shower stall both mornings I showered there. For some reason many nearby dogs were barking and the usual rooster crowing the two nights I was there, so plan on heaps of noise. And I stayed on a Wednesday and Thursday nights; I have heard that the weekends are far noisier with bands playing nearby late into the night.

And after the first night I removed the bedside lamp because I received a shocking jolt of electricity when I turned off the light. Disappointingly, neither the bedside lamp or the bare bathroom bulb use CFLs.

(No reason to despair though: I found another hotel a few blocks away, a large room several times the size of Room 2, this one with a double AND single bed, a TV, a chest of drawers, a bureau and located along a quieter street for just 20,000 COP/night, 1/3 of what I would have paid at La Posada del Cafe, and with so many more amenities.)

Room Tip: Avoid Room #2 at all costs. It should be transformed into a closet or a storage room or something o...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank James S
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Very nice building, typical for region. The owner is very helpful and she will make sure you feel like at home. She has one parking lot, so try to reserve it in advance. Rooms are small and clean. Great country yard. If you are on budget, you can find cheaper place around.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Walking through the colorful doors of La Posada del Cafe makes you feel like you've entered an oasis: everything is lush and green, with two friendly dogs and at least one friendly lizard. The property has comfortable sitting areas for the guests, amidst the colors and plants. Maria Elena is a wonderful host who speaks English (really. She is not comfortable writing emails in English, but she speaks it well, much better than we speak Spanish) and cooks a great breakfast. She helped us plan our hike in Cocora, which made us the most informed people in the jeep on our journey there. The room we stayed in was small and the shower didn't have much warm water, but this really didn't matter because of the warm weather, and because the place is just so wonderful.

Room Tip: There's quite a bit of noise on the street, so it might be better to ask for a room that doesn...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had a fantastic stay here for 2 nights. Maria Elena was so friendly and helpful. Nice quiet rooms in a perfect location and good healthy breakfast - which you need if you are about to trek through Cocora! Highly recommended.

James

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This place is clean. Safe. Beautiful. Breakfast is just delicious. Just on my personal note. I traveled with my 85 year old mom, and this wonderful lady (Maria Elena) took it upon herself to watch my mom while I went hiking and shopping.
The price is right and the place is even better.

Room Tip: I have nothing to add, Maria Elena will surely select a great room. And the coffee is just great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family