“Very Welcoming”
Review of The Rose & Crown

The Rose & Crown
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Rose and Crown in Dunton Green is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed August 19, 2014

My daughter and son-in-law often visit the Rose and Crown and have told us that we must visit as well so we ate lunch there yesterday with our 17 month old granddaughter. From start to finish, we were looked after very well by each member of staff that we dealt with. One of the servers found us a high chair immediately and asked if we would like colouring crayons for our granddaughter. He heard us ask her if she would like water so he offered to bring us a glass straight away. (We already had her drinking cup with us, but he hadn't realised that.) There was a lovely range of food and we were spoilt for choice. Once we made up our mind, we were served quite quickly, for which we were grateful. Having said that, we weren't rushed. Our granddaughter loved her pasta and ice cream. Fortunately, she didn't want her garlic bread which meant that I ate it. It honestly was the best garlic bread I have EVER tasted! I also liked the fact that I could substitute a salad for chips (and then have some of my husband's chips!) One of the servers stopped by the table to ask if everything was ok, which was indicative of the friendly, helpful service. We will definitely return to the Rose and Crown next time we visit our daughter and family.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I've been there once before with my family early on a sat evening and couldn't fault it. So arranged for 4 of our friends to meet us there. Both couples travelled a hour to get there from ashford and Epsom. The waiter was useless. My friend even saw him drinking leftover beer from half empty glass he'd cleared from a table. One of the 6 dinners we'd ordered was fine. Everybody else there was a problem. From long waits for vegetables. Even longer for extra gravy. To my meal which was seared salmon with new potatoes and a creamy white sauce turned up as a oval dinner plate completely covered with chopped salad and a piece of salmon in top. I waited for everybody to be sorted and said I'm waiting for potatoes. No he said doesn't come with it. Waitress agreed. I asked for the menu and pointed what I'd ordered and noticed no salad mentioned. He grunted he'll get me some potatoes. No mention of sauce. He kept calling us guys too. We're all in our 60's. We'd say where's the gravy each time he whizzed by with other tables food. ' just coming guys' like a comedy farce except there was nothing amusing about it. I was gutted. I could go on and on. Up shot was we didn't pay for the food. We've none of us every told a manager we don't want to pay. That's how poorly treated we all felt we'd been treated. Such a shame.

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Good food reasonable drink and great atmosphere. Will definitely be bringing family and friends here again this is far superior to the local pubs in the area and a bottle of wine is a good price

Reviewed June 27, 2014

The garden was full of dirty glasses and plates from the lunchtime, it was now early evening. The staff argued in public who was going to clean up the garden. The manager watched as they did this and did not give any instruction. One poor family sat at their table for 15 minutes with no drink or menu until they decided to get up and get it themselves. The tableware was dirty, and one of the waiters wiped his nose with the towel he was using to deliver peoples food with.

An experience I never wish to see again so I would say if you value food hygiene do NOT go here.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Had a family meal. Food was just about okay. The worst part was the waitress. RUDE, bad at her job and practically threw the cutlery on the table! When asked for sauces she grunted and said I did just bring them over.... sigh I will go and get them again! Shame as used to be a nice place for Sunday lunch and the rest of the staff were lovely but due to her (and the food) we will never eat here again or recommend it.

1  Thank clarabucket