“Fine dining with a view of Rutland Water (or not as the case was!)”

Best Western Normanton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Normanton
Drimpton
“Fine dining with a view of Rutland Water (or not as the case was!)”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I chose the Normanton Park Hotel as an overnight stop for us on our (scenic) route up to Norfolk for our summer holiday. One of the main reasons for choosing it was the idea of eating in their conservatory with a view of Rutland Water and also that it was pet-friendly.
We had a friendly enough welcome and the room in the courtyard was very nice, a good size, and very comfortable with all the usual amenities so no complaints there.
We took our dog for a nice walk along Rutland Water having booked a table in the restaurant. We had a really nice meal and I have no complaints about the service or the food, however we weren't in the conservatory, just in a a rather small dining room. From listening to what the staff were saying it was obvious there was a wedding on the next day.
The next morning we expected breakfast in the conservatory (it was even advertised on our confirmation email) however we had breakfast in the Clockroom instead.
When I went to pay the bill I asked why we weren't able to eat in the conservatory and was told it because there was a function. I did make the point that the "fine dining experience" was heavily advertised on their website and also on our booking confirmation. The receptionist did apologise however nothing was offered as a gesture, which I was quite surprised about. If it had been my hotel that would have been my immediate reaction.
So I would say lovely hotel, stunning location, good food, but just check the conservatory is open before you go and stay there!

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are the cheapest but could be noisy in summer if people stay up drinking on the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
England
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel is currently running an afternoon tea promotion through Groupon, and my daughter took me along as a Father's Day treat.
We went to reception to ask where tea was being served and the rather brusque receptionist pointed us down a corridor. This took us to a restaurant/bar area, which was completely empty, and overlooked the car park. Sat around for a bit but nobody appeared. Went back to reception - "Oh , isn't there anybody there?".
I asked if we could have tea in the conservatory, as this had been mentioned in the Groupon blurb. "No, we've got a function on. You would have been told that when you booked." Actually, we hadn't been. Wouldn't be an issue as I wouldn't necessarily have expected to be told when we booked, but it was the defensive and snappy response I didn't like.
Having had that little exchange we went back and sat down. A young waitress came along and I gave her the Groupon voucher. Without looking at it she stuck in in her pocket and asked us if we wanted drinks. I said we were there for the tea and that was what the voucher was for. She then read it and disappeared with our order.
Another waitress, far nicer and more customer conscious then arrived with the tea, although we noticed when she'd gone there was no jam with the scones. She sorted this quite cheerfully though.
The food was OK - sandwiches and cakes, but there was no cafetiere and the coffee was ordinary. All in all, no attempt was made to make this any sort of experience. The surroundings were dreary and the service not very good. A member of staff turned a TV on and that was the background. I didn't expect a Palm Court Orchestra but that was dire. Full price, high tea for two is £24.00, through Groupon it was £16.00. Not good value either way in my view.
To sum up, I wonder why they bother with the Groupon offer when there seems to be no intention of making this an experience people would want to repeat. Poor service, no ambience and a clear lack of interest - I can get that at any number of places.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank TakosAtenpercentoyou
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We called into Normanton Park Hotel whilst visiting Rutland Water for afternoon tea. On entering reception we were hardly acknowledged and had to ask where to go for tea. The waitress was nowhere to be seen and, whilst the car park was full, there didn't seem to be many people about. Slightly weird atmosphere in the The Clock Restaurant at that time, may be it was just the time of day. No menus were on display so when we were asked what we would like, wasn't sure what to ask for!. We were then given menus and made our choice. The butter that came with the hot buttered tea cake was so hard that it wouldn't spread on the 'hot' tea cake. At £3.25 for one I had no reservations about taking it back for it to be sorted out. The waitress kindly took it away to spread the butter on.

The hotel is in a lovely location, the tea was nice enough, but the prices are quite steep. Based on our experience on this occasion I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank helenh462016
Kings Lynn
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I had a three night stay in this hotel recently, arriving on a Sunday and departing Wednesday morning. My room was snug, some might say compact or diminutive. However, since I was staying along, it was adequate. The shower/toilet room was OK,but not particularly well set out (the room being in a kind of roof space area, the hotel being built in what were stables) but again, it was adequate. Set on the banks of Rutland Water, the setting is rather beautiful, and the hotel boast a rather nice gardened sitting area leading down to the bank, with play area for children. I did get a look round one of the large double rooms which a friend was staying in, and it was very well appointed. Breakfast was a mix of cooked to order items allied to a buffet of the normally fruits, yogurts, cereals etc, with sausages, mushrooms etc etc. All very nice. Service by the two waiters left a little to be desired, but were friendly without being overly enthusiastic about greetings, I'm sure they will get the hang of it eventually! Other staff however were very nice, friendly and helpfull. I did not eat in the restaurant of an evening, preferring to have a couple of bar meals. Both were terrific I have to say, taste, well presented and at a very affordable price. Bar drinks were not expensive either, comparing with most pubs prices. Over all, I would visit here again, even if paying for it myself, but would be sure to get a bigger room if sharing. Its location is its strongest attraction, but it is also very nice in itself.

Room Tip: Rooms in the roof space are compact, but OK.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights the 28th - 30th May 13. We have been familiar with the hotel for years, attending functions and the occasional meal but never stayed there, it turned out to be not what we expected. You can't beat the location but our experience wasn't good. We were given a room in the annex on the lower floor. The room was very small and cramped, you could hear the people above constantly talking and walking around the room to the point it was irritating and too noisy. The clock did not work, Towel rail did not heat up. Found an empty bottle under the bed. Dirty cup and saucer. Dirty carpet near door.

On the 1st night when going to bed we noticed two dirty pillow cases and only 2 bath towels provided. We saw housekeeping Wednesday am and told her about dirty pillowcases she said she would change the bed and apologized, said it had been her day off!

On returning back that night there was a pillow with no pillowcase! Asked for extra towels - none left, Bathroom bin not emptied, carpet not vacuumed, cup not washed up.

The icing on the cake! When we checked out I noticed it said Bed Breakfast on my bill yet when I had enquired about the room I had been told it was room only! My mistake for not checking but then don't you think they should have told me at check-in. They knocked £5 per night off our bill for not having breakfast but this did not really make it right as we would rather have had breakfast.

Overall disappointing, we were originally going to stay longer but due to experiences and the noise we left after 2 nights. Please note this is only our experience as there are other reviews who have been happy with the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeachyWaves30

Travelers are raving about these Normanton hotels

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My partner and I arrived to ample parking. Reception check in was really easy and the member of staff very polite and helpful. We had a room in the hotel upstairs that had a lovely view of the garden and lake. The room was ample in size, really nicely decorated. the bathroom was a nice size and had a bath and a shower with ample hot water. We had dinner in the conservatory, and the service was spot on and the food cooked really well. After dinner we sat in the bar, lounge area. This is quite basic nothing too grand but I felt had character and somewhere to sit and relax with a nice atmosphere. We had a really good nights sleep in a really comfy bed and it was lovely and quiet to get a really relaxing nights sleep. The breakfast is served in the conservatory overlooking the garden and lake. There was a good choice of cereal, pastries and a cooked breakfast buffet style. Often a cooked buffet breakfast I find cold and a bit tasteless but this wasn't the case here. Cooked well and nice and hot. There was only one part of our stay that I didn't enjoy and that was a really annoying guest that seemed to complain about everything just for the sake of complaining. Hopefully on my next stay the guest wont be there.

Room Tip: The hotel has rooms in the hotel and wings off. Choose a room in the hotel with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Nothumberland, England
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here on a Monday night whilst walking the Rutland Round and what a great choice. The hotel has a stunning location on the shore of Rutland Water and overlooking the partially submerged Normanton Church.

We had a room in one wing of the converted stable block across the courtyard. One of the staff appologetically informed us it was "a bit small", but to be honest I've come across a lot smaller for more money! The room was clean and bright with tea and coffee making facilities, ironing board and trouser press, hairdryer and TV.

We ate in the bar as the bar meals menu at under a tenner for a main was 2/3rds the cost of the restaurant. Breakfast was the familiar buffet style with cereals, fruit, yoghurts and all the components of a full-English.

Although the hotel was full (according to the receptionist) it was quiet and peaceful although I expect that on a weekend with a wedding reception underway it could get a bit lively!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Normanton
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
The Old Wisteria Hotel
Greetham Valley Hotel
Greetham Valley Hotel
#1 of 1 in Greetham

Been to Best Western Normanton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!