“Fantastic last minute booking” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Normanton Park Hotel

BEST WESTERN Normanton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Normanton
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic last minute booking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Having been let down at the last minute at another hotel in Empingham, we were able to get a last minute booking and arrived 5 minutes later to a friendly welcome. The room was good, tidy with a very comfortable bed. We had a very nice meal with good pleasant service. After a great nights sleep we had a nice breakfast, good selection and self service. scrambled egg was not the best, but in all a very nice experience.

Room Tip: The four poster room we had was roomy and comfy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob B
Stuart_Saunders, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Normanton Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Many thanks for your review, we always strive to get it right and next time we shall ensure we get the scrambled eggs just right for you.

Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

But not much more than that. As a hotel is just does he job you wold expect at what would say is 3 star. We had an upgrade to a lake view which was nice but that's all. Room was fine and dinner was good. But a cool conservatory in October for dinner is not good. No atmosphere and a very occasional sight of any staff. Not memorable.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review, I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us.
The conservatory has a very powerful heating system, if you are feeling a little chilly my staff are on hand to adjust the heat for you. Staff are trained not to be too intrusive, but I apologize if you felt that the service was not up to standard.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed in several Best Western hotels, and this was way below their usual standard. The room was tiny, damp, and smelly, and very poorly designed. I am only 5'4 ins tall but still banged my head on the sloping ceiling as i got in and out of bed.There was no hair dryer or shoe cleaning cloth. The tissue box was empty but the matching tooth mugs were full of scale and dead flies! The carpets in the corridors were disgusting, i don't think they had been vacuumed in weeks.
On the plus side, the evening dinner which had been arranged as part of a group dinner was wonderful. Both food and service was excellent.
Breakfast the next morning was average.
The fact is that should I travel to this area again I would most definitely not stay here.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helen E
SPS123, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Normanton Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

I am so sorry that you witnessed these housekeeping issues during your stay. Those concerned have been retrained into the importance of thorough cleaning.

Unfortunately due to the age of the building and in particular the rooms in this section of the hotel they come with a sloping ceiling. This cannot be avoided in these bedrooms.

Thank you for your comments regarding the group evening meal, but I would welcome further comments from you directly regarding that of breakfast just being average. At breakfast time there is always a lot of choice on offer, from cooked breakfast through to freshly sliced fruit displays, something for everyone.

Travelers are raving about these Normanton hotels

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Have just stayed for two nights with a group of retired friends. The staff were excellent, very helpful and friendly. Our meals in a private dining room were very good, even though there were eighteen of us to be served at once. Although the location is superb; looking out over Rutland Water from the restaurant and terrace, and only 100 yards away from the pathway around Rutland Water, we and some of our group were in rooms 1-6 above the bar and restaurant, and they are small and not well insulated for sound. Other friends who were in outside blocks had no problems. Overall though, very good value for money, great location for visiting Burghley House, Barnsdale gardens and the lovely town of Stamford, where Middlemarch was filmed.

Room Tip: Ask for any named room; not rooms 1-6.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your comments, which is a contrast from 'Below Usual Standard' as both pieces of feedback where from the same group staying at the hotel.

It was a pleasure looking after you all, and thank you for the card that the group sent direct to the hotel praising their stay with us.
Barry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was part of a group and after staying in another BW hotel near Kings Lynn this was a major disappointment.
I went into my room to find it cold and damp, which could explain the plaster bulging under the paint.
I found the trouser press to be temperamental, the towel heater in the bathroom inoperative along with the light above the bathroom mirror.
As I was feeling unwell I went to bed early only to be disturbed by the clock every hour till 10pm as well as the banging and laughing/shouting coming from the kitchen below my room. on top of the 6 spiders I had to kill as they were above the bed. I went down to reception at 9pm which was unmanned and the phone ringing for some time.
As I had no joy in the evening I informed the receptionist in the morning when I booked out and she reduced my bill slightly, however this does not excuse the fact that the room was not in a good order, as an electrician I also noticed should a full electrical installation inspection and test be carried out of the premises it would fail just on the visual inspection.
On the whole the carpets were dirty and window sills in the corridor i was in had a lot of dirt spots as well as loads of spiders.
I also found out other members of my party were also very disappointed one managed to move rooms as he had no electricity in his room due to constant tripping only to be moved to a room with a blocked toilet. Another was in the room next to mine and had similar issues with cold and damp, though avoided the noise due to being in the bar which seems was also rarely manned and had to wait ages to be served as the barman spent most of the time in the kitchen, could explain the laughing and messing around which was keeping me awake!
On a good point the hotel was in a nice location but needs alot of work doing to make it more appealing.

Room Tip: Go some where else
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank GavP418
SPS123, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Normanton Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your feedback placed on Trip Advisor and sent through directly to Best Western customer services.

I would like to deeply apologise for your unpleasant stay here at BW Normanton Park Hotel.
Maintenance is an issue throughout your feedback which looking at the room as a case in point has been resolved since. Unfortunately during this period I had been waiting for a maintenance crew to arrive, but at the last minute let me down. As you know there were a couple of other issues around the hotel that also needed attention, hence your colleague also receiving a less than smooth stay with us also.

My housekeeping department has also been severely reprimanded in the overall finish of cleanliness to your room, this is completely unacceptable and very serious that only added to the maintenance issues.

I have varying grades of rooms and styles, but along the grades I have 4 small doubles which are considered to be smaller than the rest that exist at the property, and because of the shape of the 18th Century design do have sloping ceilings not. You stayed in one of these rooms, and not the best place to convalesce in, should I have known earlier I would have tried my best to move you to a room which is a lot quieter. The 18th Century chiming clock stops at ten, I shall adjust to an earlier time too.

I can assure you that this is not our usual code of practice, and I hope it does not deter from you staying here again in the future.
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed there last night and had one of the rooms separate from the main hotel, still the room was very nice with great views across Rutland Water. The Japanese loo was an interesting diversion but remained untried as I don't read Japanese and it still seems to function normally if the electronics is not tried out. The best part of the stay though was the food, 3 courses all cooked and presented to perfection, I don't say that often but it all was just right cooked but not overly and my 30 colleagues all said the same across a wide variety of menu options. I suspect we got a good corporate discount but I would be very happy to return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your great feedback, we look forward to welcoming you again to BW Normanton Park Hotel in the future.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

We arrived late afternoon, checked in, and were directed to our room. On arrival at the room we noticed it had not been serviced so returned to Reception. The receptionist felt she had to confirm my statement about the room not yet being ready for occupancy and went to check for herself. On her return she apologised and offered us a complimentary coffee in the lounge whilst the room was made ready. The coffee arrived but no milk, and it took two further requests before the milk arrived. Not a very auspicious. When we did finally enter the room we found it to be fairly small, made more so by the sloping wall on one side, dusty, and with only a shower. The room had a side view of Rutland Water, although the view was marred by the dirty windows. The tea pot in the room was badly tea stained, and looked as if it had never been cleaned. The following day we arrived back at the hotel late afternoon to find yet again the room had not been made up. Only after two trips to Reception did housekeeping finally turn up. On our third and final day we returned to the hotel at 4.20pm to yet again find the room had not been made up. After again after going to Reception twice did someone finally turn up to do the room, and this was at 5.50pm. However this was not housekeeping, it was one of the waitresses, who I have to say did a more thorough job of cleaning than housekeeping itself.
Breakfast was a mixture of buffet and waiter service depending on the number of guests on the day, and seemed to be a little disorganised. However the food was plentiful and hot.
Overall I would have to say that we did not feel like valued guests, and therefore have no appetite for a return visit.
The Normanton Park has the potential for being a popular hotel due to its location, but until the management introduces a more robust cleaning regime and attention to detail it's likely to continue to let down the Best Western brand.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Molesey19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Normanton
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Brook Whipper-In Hotel
The Old Plough
The Old Plough
#1 of 1 in Braunston-in-Rutland

Been to BEST WESTERN Normanton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!