“An Enjoyable Stay”

The Crown Inn
The Crown Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Uppingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I spent two nights at The Crown during May when I attended a reunion nearby. The room was clean and tidy and shower room adequate. Just as well I am not huge as I would not have fitted through the shower door! Lunch was hot, quickly served and enjoyable, soup and a pie, just what was required on a miserable afternoon. Breakfasts were for the hungry and cheerily served. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We stated here for 2 nights over the weekend and was after a relaxing lazy weekend. The building itself was lovely, and the staff all very friendly and helpful. The room was on the small side, but nicely furnished, and the bathroom was lovely, very modern and clean.
The bed however was very uncomfortable and VERY squeaky, so much so it woke us up every time we turned over! Also the pillows were uncomfortable.
With our room being on the front of the building, when the windows are open and pub customers go outside to smoke, the room is filled with the smell of cigarette smoke.
The walls were very thin and we could hear the neighbours using the bathroom! We did not get much sleep due to the noise, both from our neighbours and downstairs, the cleaners start banging around very early.
The breakfasts were beautiful, a lot if choice and good produce, although I agree with a previous review where someone commented on the cleaner walking through the dining room with her dirty mop bucket which is a bit off-putting, thinking she was taking that dirty thing into where my breakfast was being cooked!
A little more attention to detail and this place would get 5 circles!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Aware that hotels in the area book up quickly during Burghley Horse Trials I made my booking with the Crown Inn in March 2013 and paid in full at the time of booking. Today I received an email which claimed that the roof was leaking into the room, apparently it is only affecting the room I booked!. Despite claiming that the leak could not be fixed before my booking in 5 weeks time, the same room is still being advertised as available on various dates within that 5 week period.

My complaints have fallen on deaf ears and I have not had any response to my email to them.

So yes, I got a refund (wow) but every other venue offering accommodation in the area has been booked up solid for months....so here I am tickets to an event which is a significant distance away from my home and no overnight accommodation. My advice would be to do what I wished I had done in March and avoid the Crown.....select another venue. They are unreliable.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank gillwiles
alan p, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

This review is not acceptable. The roof did collapse and as such took 7 weeks to repair - this is a 1739 grade 2 listed building. I am only sorry that the lady could not experience the 3 times CAMRA Pub of the Year in its full glory.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed 1 night here - had a pub lunch, stayed in a room in the top floor, then breakfast in the morning before leaving. The pub lunch (pie, chips & vegetables) which was extremely good - best pies we've had in a long time. The staff are really friendly and helpful.
The building is very old but in great condition. We were on the top floor; the stairs up aren't straight & flat and they creak, the beams in the ceiling are below head height and the door into the room is under 6 foot high... we thought it was gorgeous really - we weren't here to expect a new style building - it was certainly a great English experience.
Downside? It could do with new pillows on the bed; the cooked breakfast could have been better - wasn't up to the lunch standard, but a good selection of cold foods.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We went to the crown whilst visiting the English Heritage weekend. The rooms were tidy and clean. They had tea and coffee making equipment in the room . Breakfast (full English) was good and plentiful with lots of choice.I would recommend for a quiet weekend away.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Antony G
Reviewed June 12, 2013

a friendly greeting as per normal and pleasant rooms ,place is looking a little tired and could do with a clean in some areas but its cheap and cheerful . and for a quick break in the middle of town its ideal .rooms are well equipped meals are quite nicely cooked by phillipe and the bar staff are friendly .can be noisy after hours outside but our bed was comfy , sunday night was a real treat with a band playing downstairs not everyones cup of tea but a nice end to a weekend

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The staff certainly make this hotel which if truth be known is perhaps a little tired and jaded.

We arrived on foot around 4.30pm when the bar was relatively quiet and rather dark. The young man behind the bar similarly attired in all black checked our booking and took us to our room, well he tried to as it took him several attempts to find it. The upstairs is a bit of a rabbit warren of narrow landings and fire-safety doors as well as the ladies' loo!

Our twin room was clean and tidy with comlementary tea, coffee, bicuits and fruit. A nice touch. The beds however were a different story. They were basic MFI types with the most uncomfortable matresses with old fashioned springs that poked into your back no matter which way you turned. The duvet cover was so small that it couldn't cover even my slim 5'10" frame. luckily it was a warm night! There was a wardrode in the room but this was positioned so close to the foot of one of the beds that it wouldn't open more than a couple of inches. The en-suite bathroom was by comparison fully up to date.

The young barman had told us that bar meals would be available in the small dining room at the rear of the pub but when we went down at around 6.45pm the room was locked with the lights off and no one was behind the bar. We hung around for five minutes then decided to explore the town instead. We ended up eating at The Vaults pub across the square which seemed popular for bar meals returning to The Crown for a couple of drinks to finish. The beers are well kept Everards staples (Tiger, Sunchaser etc.) and the bar staff friendly though I couldn't help but feel that the bar itself was a gloomy place lit up only by a couple of fruit machines and a big plasma screen TV.

We left the next morning on an upbeat note as the breakfast was wonderful and our breakfast waiter friendly and attentive.

If only the hotel itself were as bright and cheerful as the staff then this would be a great place. I'd give them 5/5 but the accommodation itself is at best only average.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uppingham
The Falcon Hotel
The Old Pheasant
The Old Pheasant
#1 of 1 in Glaston
The Kings Arms Inn

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!