The Crown Inn
$59
The Lake Isle(Uppingham)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe pubmiddle of townfull english breakfastsunday lunchlovely placerutland watercomfy bedgreat foodeverardsmenurearfalcon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I have stayed quite a few times at the Crown whilst sorting out a house purchase. The staff here are always friendly and very helpful. The beer is very good and the breakfast is well prepared using good materials (fresh fruit etc too). The rooms are very good value and I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BillMC3389
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Only ate there but found staff to be unfriendly. Quiet time as only one other couple eating when we ordered but waited 40 minutes for a venison burger that was so overdone it was burnt and could have been anything as all the taste had gone. Only redeeming feature was the chips were nice. Overall though very poor, won't be back,

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Danny H
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I needed somewhere to lay my head for one night, arriving late and leaving early next morning. The pub was full to bursting when I arrived (apparently due to next day's local livestock market). Nonetheless, the barman took the trouble to show me to my room and make sure I had everything I needed.
My first impression of the room was not encouraging - the dark beige walls were depressing and there was so much noise from downstairs I wondered if I'd get a wink of sleep. HOWEVER - after a while I realised that in fact, this room was extraordinarily well arranged. The owners have obviously made a great effort with the decor, and the fact that it wasn't really to my taste is absolutely not their fault! The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom outstandingly well-equipped as well as looking very stylish. Everything was where it should be - even the kettle was in exactly the right place, and its double power-point left a spare socket at table-height for phone-charging etc.(amazing how often one is forced to scrabble around on the carpet or under the bed to find usable electricity). Bedside lights were good, the television worked (digital of course - such a lovely change from old snowy analogue signal in pubs past), and of course once the bar closed, the room was quiet.
I paid a mere £39 for all this which I thought was excellent value. And the welcome and farewell were so friendly I decided to book again for the following week. The second visit was just as satisfactory - different staff but again extremely courteous. This time I was (I think) the only guest, and I was given a choice of rooms - I didn't hesitate to take the same one. I'd certainly recommend The Crown to anyone who doesn't want to pay a fortune but needs somewhere comfortable to stay.

Room Tip: Go for one at the back - I think road-facing rooms might be noisy, and I've heard that the sign outside creaks loudly in the wind! I had the 'Original' room, for what it's worth.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Did not stay here but ate here with work colleagues and our partners, we were in the restaurant at the side of the bar, the tables had been arranged into 2 long rows, we had pre ordred our food as this was an arranged function, the service was fast and friendly and while we were seated staff fetched our drinks for us.
The food was very good staff fast and friendly, a nice pub menu to choose from.

The bar is great, a good variety of drinks, but if your a real ale drinker then you will be in heaven a good selection of real ales and the landord is proud of the fact that they were the Rutland CAMRA Pub of the Year 2010 and that they are in the Good Beer Guide.

Overall would come back here again with friends and as a twosome with my partner.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Very friendly welcome and great food. A lively bar in the evening with good real ale (Everards). Uppingham is a pretty little town, very convenient for Rutland Water (in spring and summer look out for nesting ospreys where the A6003 passes Rutland Water.) This area of the country is somewhat ignored by tourists, which is a shame as there are many attractive villages and small towns worth exploring. Would wholeheartedly recommend The Crown Inn.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple