“A paradise where you may isolate yourself totally”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kichanga Lodge

Kichanga Lodge
Turin, Italy
“A paradise where you may isolate yourself totally”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

No tv no telephone no ac in the room that is decorated like Africa of the 1950's . Everything is made on site from the environment - ecology at it's best . Excellent staff and very relaxed atmosphere . Good kitchen staff and excellent meat dishes especially the grill . Very nice beach quiet and almost exclusive .
The mattresses are ancient and curve in towards the centre so you may end up having low back pain . The "sofa" on the veranda is also very uncomfortable ...you cannot sit and read a book for more than half an hour before your back starts to ache . I have brought all this to the managements attention and I am sure they will remedy the situation . If you are there for more than 4 days you start to feel the "pinch" i.e. the discomfort of the bed and sofa ..
Expensive if you compare it with other luxury hotels but I did enjoy my time there .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed whilst on honeymoon for 4 nights. The hotel is lovely and the rooms and nice and very clean with good showers. Breakfast was good and dinner was ok but lunch was terrible. We had the pizza which was disgusting and very over priced then a salad and burger which were equally bad.

The drinks in this hotel are really expensive, it really put us off staying there as they were so much higher from the other places we stayed on Zanzibar they were even more expensive that back home!! They also had all the prices in dollars which made them even higher. Even soft drinks were way over priced, you expect that in a 5 star luxury hotel but not a hotel of that standard. Bit disappointing as the rest of the package was amazing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kichanga, General Manager at Kichanga Lodge, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dea Andrea,
thank you so much for your review. For your lunch I am really sorry , we are Italian so to say that our pizza is really bad for sure I will need to get back into the kitchen and see what has to be done.
Regarding the prices, Kichanga Lodge is a very remote place from town it is 70 km, so when we go and buy anything it is KM 140 , so prices maybe are a little be higher than town but anyone that stays here can understand that you don't just walk out the door and buy from a shop.
Our prices are for Kilimanjiaro Beer 500 ml is Usd 4.5 a cocktail is Usd 6.5 and a bottle of wine from Usd 21 giving a service a smile and everything you lived staying with us. I am happy you enjoyed all the rest of Kichanga Lodge
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We spent overall 7 days here in August, moving around a bit due to last minute booking and hence availability. Location is great, swimming super even at low tide in the lagoon, food excessively good (this was a problem as we overindulged as somewhat depleted after 9 months in Tanzania!) and it is really well managed. The bathrooms are outdated, toilet flush not working, showers very iffy and I really thought that the place and the great management Could make this a great possibility to develop an eco lodge and inspire the neighbours. Living in Tanzania it was pretty disturbing to see how excessive the tourist consumption and impact here in Zanzibar is - and this place is surely one of the better ones. Please please don't touch the marine wildlife on the snorkelling trips, the reef is dead enough already.

Room Tip: Talk to reservations and tell them what you are after. They were really helpful to us both in terms...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Beets, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

5 days in paradise! The flower leafs on our bed, the privacy, the silence, the beautifull cottage at sea/ with seaview, excellent food and services, private beach, blue water and white sand made our stay perfect! What a great place to hide, rest and absorb the beautifull nature in silence. And when we were into action the friendly staff in the hotel could recommend or facilitate all kind of activities like walks, biking, snorkeling, good restaurants, transports, daytrips, nice sunset bar/ dancing for in the evening and more... I was suprised by the possibilities as it seemed isolated at first sight. We really could create our perfect holiday in Kitchanga lodge. I wish I had bought a few more fabrics in the lodge as they were beautifull and were for good prices. But the inhouse tailor made a very nice skirt for me.. We can recommend this place!! And want to thank the people from Kitchanga for our beautifull memories.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mireille asante sana for such a nice review hope to see you back
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights/3 days and as soon as I arrived I regretted not being able to stay longer. You are welcomed with smiles and Jambos (hellos) as soon as you get there. It's extremely peaceful and relaxing, much needed after I had travelled through beautiful, but dusty, Tanzania for three weeks and had climbed Mt Kilimanjaro.

I was upgraded to an Ocean Lodge which was stunning. Food and staff were great and very accommodating. I was exhausted from the trek and was just looking for a nice place to relax by the beach and chill, and Kichanga Lodge delivered.

One negative I have to mention is they charge for wi-fi (and it's quite expensive), and they charge PER device (i.e. you are charged twice if you want it on your iPhone AND iPad) and you can only access wi-fi in the lounge by front reception. With all the free wi-fi throughout the country and the world, I was a bit alarmed by how expensive and limited it was.

The other small negative I would say (and I'm being picky here) is that the staff can be a little TOO eager to serve you. Management would ask me multiple times a day if everything was good and it wouldn't be unusual for me to be eating my meal with a staff member standing right beside my table staring at me as I ate. I'm all for great service but it was a little intense and off-putting at times. That said, I had a super relaxing time and would highly recommend the hotel. Very professional.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jc8228
Geelong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Wow, what an experience. We stayed 6 nights in August and will always remember this place as very very special. Stunning beach and beautiful white sand. Fantastic food at all times, the warmest of African hospitality was extended to us by the staff and management constantly. The rooms are great, try for a beach front bungalow. The staff are beautiful. So helpful and kind and lovely to chat to. A special mention for George in the dining room who was so very kind to our friend who had hurt his back. The common areas are fantastic with big comfy day beds and chairs that once in are very hard to move from. Totally relaxed within hours of getting to kichanga. Great value for money. Thank you Nigel for this beautiful place you have all created. We can't stop talking about zanzibar and kichanga lodge. We will be back. P.S. a meal at The Rock restaurant is essential. Great seafood

Room Tip: Try for beachfront bungalow for the amazing view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kichanga, General Manager at Kichanga Lodge, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Hi Robyn, thank you so much for such a nice review my staff and i are all very happy that you had such a great and relaxing time. I hope to see you back very soon.
South East England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Having stayed in similar places in Bonaire (Dutch Antilles) and Samal (the Philippines), we knew what to expect and weren't disappointed. Kichanga is located in an enviable situation with a fascinating beach which stretches out for what must be half a mile at low tide. This gives exciting opportunities to explore the reef looking for starfish, sea urchins and to watch the fishermen catching that night's barbecued octopus or kingfish and creates a natural sea pool for daytime swimming. The service is excellent and carefully overseen, the difference between here and some other local hotels is palpable and all the better for it. There's a charming lady (Loveness) offering beauty treatments in a hut on the beach and you can walk for miles along the shoreline - a must is a visit to the Rock restaurant for lunch. We had a very pleasing few days and were sad to leave, I rarely feel so relaxed!

Room Tip: A beach front villa gives the sound of the ocean as the tide ebbs and flows, a garden villa the same...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello, thank you for your review and it was great to meet you and see that you enjoyed your holiday in Kichanga . asante sana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Michamvi
KonoKono Beach Resort
Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
#1 of 6 in Pwani Mchangani

Been to Kichanga Lodge? Share your experiences!