TripAdvisor
Michamvi
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews stone town honeymoon package every night mangrove forest different locations dinner on the beach sunset bay resort reef shoes east africa food is excellent the entire staff rooms are large swahili buffet family holiday sea life management team fantastic location
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Michamvi Sunset bay was Gods gift and blessing to us for our wedding.. It was everything and more that we wished for our wedding. It is the most beautiful untouched, natural paradise that we have ever seen. When I was there I had to pinch myself that this was real! They have the most indescribable beautiful beach wedding venue as well as the most magical and unbelievable service and hard work of the Michamvi staff. Simone and Brad worked so hard to make my dreams come true. I could mail her anytime about anything, we did Skype calls and she always would come back as soon as possible sometimes within minutes or within an hour. We got more than that was promised! We have never come across with such impeccable service. Every wish I wanted was not impossible. They made everything and more that I wanted possible! There was no other perfect venue for us than Michamvi for our wedding. It was definitely Gods plan for us to be there as everything was a touch from Heaven.

We originally planned our wedding venue on the Bazaruto islands in the Mozambique archipelago. It was a very stressful situation for us as the venue burnt down , however I am so happy I ended up having my wedding at Michamvi as the venue is more what I wanted(the white soft sand island wedding) together with the exceptional personalized service from the entire Michamvi team. Simone who helped me plan and coordinate the entire wedding event and even came up with amazing wedding ideas, Brad who worked with Simone as well and helped made the stay for 39 guests unforgettable. The waiters and the entire staff at Michamvi were so hospitable and so friendly. They are so pleasant to be around and so nice to chat too. Everything about Michamvi Sunset bay is exceptional. I loved how intimate our venue was. The rooms are stunning, the gardens around the rooms are so beautiful and beach and sunsets is Indescribable.

Beach Wedding
The highlight of our stay was our BEACH WEDDING
My dream was to have a wedding on a sand bank in the ocean with soft power white sand. Simone came up with a suggestion to have it as a easy access connected sand bank that was only a sand bank during high tide. We therefore had to get the date , tide and timing s correct. It was truly HEAVEN. They arranged everything I wanted.

RECEPTION: The 39 guests arrived at the sand bank via walking on a bridge over the water which they specially built for the wedding! The bridal party and I arrived on a beautifully flower and palm leave boat. The drummers were playing in the background to create suspense of me arriving. The staff carried me out with a sign in front of me saying “HERE COMES THE BRIDE”. They even arranged the white tiffany chairs I wanted for my wedding and arranged it in a heart shape like I wanted. Around the chairs where these beautiful intertwined palm leaves in arches. Chiffon was placed on all the chairs. They arranged a wooden alter with stunning frangi pangi bouquets on it. It was a need for me to walk in heels down the isle so they arranged a wooden marine ply board for me to walk on that was covered with sand. They arranged a portable PA system for music as well as for speech at the ceremony. The flower basket was made out of wooden leaves and they organized beautiful bouquets and buttonholes. Communion was even organized. The beach was beautifully raked. The sand was so powder fine. They made sure everything happened to plan and that everything was so beautiful! At the end of the ceremony we left in a beautiful wooden boat with a special sign made that said “Just Married”.

The reception: They arranged cocktail coconut drinks with snacks during sunset while we did our shoot. When we came back the white tiffany chairs were all arranged around white tables also in the form of the heart on the stunning white sand opposite the rooms. Simone even sourced the right palm leaves, which were hard to find on the wedding table. Beautiful lanterns were on tables and on the sand. Hearts palms decorations were arranged on the chairs. Stunning frangi pangi flowers were on the table. On our wedding table they special made our MR and MRS sign is shells! They also had palm arches at the end of the tables to form a heart. I really loved the décor they arranged so beautiful, intimate and romantic.

THE FOOD: WOW!!!! Everyone went on how amazing their seafood was. The lobsters, prawns, crayfish, all the side wishes were out this world. Definitely the best seafood I ever had! The cake was specially made in a heart shape with our names on! Their microphone broke after the ceremony but they made a plan to get it fixed for the speeches. They even arranged a TV so I could have a video presentation.

There is so much to mention but every small detail I could have forgotten to mention was so special. They decorated our room for our wedding night. There was beautiful flower petals all over and duck shaped towels on the bed!

This was the most unforgettable day of our lives!! Thank you Michamvi for making this day the most beautiful day of our lives! We plan to come back as often as possible and visit this beautiful magnificent venue with amazing staff. THANK YOU MICHAMVI! You are truly Gods blessing to us and I pray that many others get to experience their Magical day at Michamvi Sunset bay.

Much love
Nadia and Petre’ Kleynhans

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights in mid December 2013. The first two nights, we were privileged to be the only guests at the resort and had the magical experience of exclusivity, exceptional service and great food. The fish curry at the bar's lunch menu is to die for, literally..
The resort is right on the beach. We had dinner on the beach with sunset views and African jazz playing on the background and a huge bon- fire afterwards. I was just blown away by the kindness of the staff and especially Brad, the resort manager. Brad was exceptionally attentive and a great host during our stay. The rooms are spacious, immaculate and the resort is very private with exceptional service. This was my first time in Zanzibar and I highly recommend this resort.
Gertrude

Room tip: If you can, book the king size rooms on the upstairs floor. The ocean view from the large balcony is breathtaking
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Travelisgood1977
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My family (two kids -- 3 and 1.5 years) and my parents stayed here for two nights, including Christmas day. Rooms: Spacious rooms that are meticulously clean. The bathroom looked so new that I felt like I was the first one ever inside of it. The room opened right onto the pool and steps from the beach. Grounds: It's on the smaller side (which is great) and the hotel has done a great job with the space they have. There is a bar and two restaurant locations, giving the necessary diversity to meal time. There is a volleyball court for those feeling athletic. It feels incredibly safe and inviting. Pool: There is a kids pool and an adult pool. The kids pool was terrific for the young ones as they could both stand and splash around. Beach: The hotel offers free water shoes (critical for the at times sharp sea floor), snorkels, fins, and life jackets. The water was pretty choppy (in part due to high winds) that made for some great fun in the ocean. The sand is white white and incredibly soft. Tranquility: This is not where you go to party or be a part of the night scene. This is for pure relaxation. You feel removed from the hustle and bustle of normal life. However, for those unable to let go, they do have wireless internet for free in all the rooms. Food: The breakfast was nothing overwhelming but exactly what was needed to start a day. The dinners, particularly dinner on the beach with the waves coming within meters of the table and a local Mariachi-style Swahili band playing, were outstanding. The price of food and drinks is extremely reasonable, even though you are so far from anything else that one might think they would charge wild fees. Customer Service: Perhaps more than anything, our stay will be remembered because of the warm hospitality we received from all staff, but Brad (owner) in particular. He is constantly moving around, seeing how things are going, and is genuinely concerned about the well-being of the guests. He helped us identify baby-sitting services for two evenings and bent over backwards for our family when both of our children became sick (note: nothing to do with the hotel!). He and the staff were delightful on email before arriving and even more delightful upon meeting. They are not about trying to squeeze money out of you but rather have a long-term philosophy about treating you well and hoping you will share your positive experience with others. And it works! It's just what I'm doing now.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Seth G
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is amazingly clean, the facilities are top-class and all the staff are friendly. We visited a few other hotels on the island and this one was the best. The food, snacks and refreshments were very good and always well presented. Probably the most stunning feature is the west-facing beach facade that gives the perfect view of the famous Zanzibar sunset every night.
The pool is larger than most hotels we visited. There is a choice of bars for eating, drinking and watching sport on large flat screen TV's.
The beach and sea are safe to walk and swim in, and with a low flat run-off you can go out a long way without being out if your depth.
I cannot speak more highly of the staff and the facilities.
This is definitely the place to return to again and again, with almost guaranteed good weather even in the tourist off-season.

Date of stay: November 2013
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve J
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend with my friends who I was visiting in Zanzibar. It was absolutely amazing. The rooms were beautiful, and the view you woke up to on a morning was just like something out of a dream. Real paradise. Our rooms were huge, and clean with lovely bathrooms. Lazing by the pool/at the beach was very relaxed and peaceful and the selection of food and drinks on offer was great. Dinner was lovely and me and my boyfriend even got a birthday cake with the most joyous happy birthday sang to us ever. Really made the whole stay more special. Luckily for us, it was quiet season too so we didn't need to check out of our rooms the next day. We could relax by the pool and leave when we wanted to. I'd most definately visit here again, it really ticked all of the boxes.

Room tip: Facing the sea gives the most beautiful view and is still very peaceful and quiet
Date of stay: October 2013