“Best Holiday!”

Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Michamvi
Reviewed October 23, 2012

If you want to relax and just enjoy the magical setting around you this is the place to be!
We had the most amazing time and would go back when ever possible! The rooms are beautiful, the food is amazing what more do you need! So if I where you, book your accomodation, the best views are on the top floor, and just sit, chill and enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Renate J

Reviewed October 17, 2012

HI i currently went on holiday to Michamvi Sunset Beach in Zanzibar, i would just like to say what a fantastic time my wife and i had . The staff are so friendly and the food is great, there mind blowing activities for young and old . i would recommend this destination for all who are looking to have a great time , Thank Brad Cousens ( manger) ,Anton a.k.a"Dutchie"( events manger) and to all the Michamvi staff

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My friend and I travelled to Zanzibar earlier this year at the end of April for a 7 night stay, we were lucky enough to be booked in at Michamvi Sunset Bay, it truly did give us what we were looking for in terms of beautiful surroundings, great value, amazing staff and a break from the hustle and bustle of city life. This was low season at the time and whilst there was rain we also had sunny days where the heat was bearable enough to wonder the island and visit Stone town, these were really hot days so I can only imagine how hot it is in season, the food was amazing and better than a buffet style setup, a set menu with a few choices is so much better than what you normally get at an hotel, we were treated to lobster, fish braai’s and some lovely local entertainment whilst we dined on one of the evenings.

Nothing was ever a problem for the staff and there was always someone close by to attend to any request, the hotel is located on the South East side of Zanzibar and is pleasingly peaceful, it is approx a 45 minute drive from the airport and Stonetown, we did however enjoy this as our days were spent appreciating the beautiful coastline and the city attractions were only a taxi ride away, the location also almost shelters the resort from the winds and the weather was always more favourable on that stretch, long walks along the reefs and coastline were amazing, we also snorkeled thanks to Dutchie having the patience to teach my friend who cannot swim to snorkel, that’s just priceless!! But its this sort of attention and service is that sets Michamvi apart.

The accommodation is well looked after and serviced daily very clean and just what you need for a good nights rest afterall you are on an island you should be outdoors. The hotel also enlists locals to work and used for supplies which is a great initiative and the staff are polite and well trained. We would go back in a heartbeat!! Brad, Simone and Dutchie you guys are legends thanks for making our stay so memorable, all the best, hopefully we will return soon enough!!! Lesley-Anne Stanley & Christine Bekker

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My friend and I visited the resort in the middle of July 2012. We were delayed. Instead of arriving at 10PM at night we arrived at 1AM in the early hours of the morning. The staff could not have been more welcoming at this ungodly hour. Food was laid on for us in our room. There are in total x20 units which can accomodate up to a maximum of x40 persons at one time. There were no more than x23 persons at one time while we were there. The weather was great. Its a picturesque location. Quiet. Peaceful. No Televisions or radios or telephones in the bedrooms. Great for a relaxing holiday! You are close to the swimming pool and the sea. You can switch off completely. As it is an intimate resort, and few in number of persons, the staff together with management mingle with the guests. They get to know exactly what your name is and what your activities are each day. The Resort lays on a Sunset Cruise and Snorkling. On the snorkling expedition an underwater DVD is taken of each individual snorkling amongst the shoals of fish. Unbelieveable! I wish I could go back tomorrow!

Room Tip: All the rooms are exactly the same. there are x20 units in total. However the units are in the form...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ALAN B
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband took me to Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort in March for our 17th wedding anniversary. We travel a lot, so have a good idea of what is usually laid on. But we were completely blown away by the hospitality and friendliness of the staff at Michamvi. They couldn't do enough for us! No request was too much trouble and they ensured that our anniversary night was one to remember. We had our own table on the beach, away from everyone else with a candle-lit avenue, with our own chef and waitress. The entire staff sang us an impromptu song and a cake was even baked for us! Michamvi is everything you could wish for, whether you want a relaxing holiday or one that is packed with activity. And the reef near the hotel has a world of wonders if you look at night with a torch! (Take booties so you don't cut your feet!)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jessica f
Reviewed July 23, 2012

What a fantastic Hotel. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The hotel is not very large so it is comfortable and not too busy or over crowded.
The 2 managers Mike and Brad constantly went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed and wanted.
The beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept on but we cant get them is SA :(
The food was top class and well priced!
If i return to Zanzibar, I will stay at Muchamvi again without a second thought.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marcalot
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I was lucky enough to visit Michamvi Sunset Bay resort in the beginning of June 2012 for a wedding and to soak up the sun for a few days after.

Where to begin to describe the absolute tranquillity, beautiful setting and wonderful people of Michamvi? After arriving there from another resort, I immediately felt right at home and within 15 minutes, I was completely relaxed, cocktail in hand, gazing at the turquoise waters a few feet from my lounger. The white beach stretches out on both sides of the resort, allowing you to take long, unwinding walks along the soft sand.

The food was amazing and I constantly found myself wishing I had a bigger stomach to enjoy more of it. The staff was extremely friendly and always ready to give a helping hand. True service with a smile. They put so much effort into decorations and entertainment for the wedding that it made every moment of the night extra special. Them serenading the wedding couple was definitely one of the highlights and the song stuck with me for about a week afterwards.

The rest of our days we spent swimming in the perfect ocean, camped out on the loungers or enjoying drinks and playing cards at the sunset bar. The rooms were lovely and tastefully decorated, equipped with aircon and mosquito nets to keep guest as comfortable as possible. The view from my room was picture perfect and every sunset felt surreal.

Apart from the staff and all the above, I have to give a special thanks to Brad, Tony and Simone. They were always there to help or chat and with Brad’s natural people skills he would go out of his way to make everyone’s stay as memorable as possible. If it’s entertainment you need like snorkelling or going to swim with the dolphins, Tony would be your guy. Naturally, for me, it was awesome to be able to speak in my first language to Tony ( Dutchy) and Brad.
There’s no doubt in my mind that I will be visiting Michamvi Sunset Bay again. It’s not a case of “if” but of “when”.

All my love to the people of Michamvi Sunset Bay, who made my week there unforgettable. Asante sana guys!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jolandi M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Michamvi
ZanziResort
#1 of 5 in Michamvi
Zanzibar Queen Hotel
Zanzibar Queen Hotel
#2 of 6 in Matemwe
Zanzibar White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa (Relais & Chateaux)
Boutique Hotel Matlai

Been to Michamvi Sunset Bay Resort? Share your experiences!