The Dundas Arms
Mercure Newbury Elcot Park Hotel(Newbury)(Great Value!)
$77
$98
  • Breakfast included
$90
$76
Hare and Hounds Hotel(Newbury)(Great Value!)
$88
$93
Queens Hotel(Newbury)
  • Restaurant
PremierInn.com
All reviewsthe pubcanal sidekennet and avon canalriverside roomfresh milkrooms are comfortablerailway stationmain coursestayed for one nightpuddingfollowing morningdundas armsgunroastlockpaddingtonliam
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have lived within 3 miles of the ‘Dundas Arms’ for 4 years but have not visited it since we first moved here as my first impression was somewhat dismal. Luckily, however, the Dundas now has new owners and it seems that the whole of Berkshire have now descended on it to see what’s new.
We visited on a Saturday evening in a group of six. Here are my main thoughts:

Positive
 Lovely rural riverside location
 Gorgeous décor
 Friendly staff
 Good food
 Extensive wine list

Not so Positive
 The prices seem a bit erratic – some things are very expensive
 There wasn't a great deal of meat on the menu, considering it’s in the middle of an agricultural community with some great butchers nearby.
 By 8 o'clock, possibly before, at least two dishes had run out
 We had to wait a l-o-n-g time to get our food and we had not been given any bread to nibble on!
 Some of the staff seemed a little unaware of the finer points of service( e.g. making sure all dishes come at once and serving women before men)

In short, I think this is going to be a really good pub, but at the moment, I would say it’s finding its feet a bit and some teething problems have yet to be ironed out. As a local, I'm really keen for it to be great so I can visit regularly.
NB It is VERY busy at the moment, so do make sure you book!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Very nicely refurbished, dogs welcome as it should be at a good country pub. Good menu we had grouse and rib eye, both very good and cooked very rare as requested. bar menu also looked good. Wine list excellent, mostly French. Lots of kids probably not at state schools so beware choice of table. Service from full-time staff also excellent. Do try it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I imagine that these reviews are written by the staff of this pub or, at a push, diners - certainly not drinkers.

I have no issue with the beer quality - but £3.70 a pint in the back on of Berkshire? I've ben going to The Dundas off and on for the last 30 years, and pretty frequently over the last 5 or so years, but no way would I ever recommend anyone to go here these days.

3  Thank cookie18663
Reviewed September 27, 2012

What a perfect setting to spend a weekend at country side not too far from London. Dundas Arms opened five weeks ago after a massive refurb and new ownership. Decor was beautiful and chic. Staff were so accomodating and friendly with our two small kids and very welcoming. A leeding example how to turn an old country pub to a modern guest house without disturbing the original settingwith very professional staff. Just one night escape from london left us so relaxed that we shall return soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Like many people who have reviewed the Dundas we are local and never went under under the old management. I hope the ex-landlord reads all these so he can see what a muppet everyone thought he was, but anyhow....we've been several times for a beer after work and for food a few times too. General feedback is very good. Totally agree about the under trained staff, and still now there seem to be more staff than customers sometimes, but it still takes ages to get served. I don't know much about tills, but judging by the aggro it causes the staff, I'd say that operating the till in the main bar is only slightly less complicated than landing the space shuttle.

Having said that, the staff are all very nice and are certainly willing and well meaning Sometimes I'd say they can be a little bit too polite so they come across as almost false (not sure if thats possible but I hope you know what I mean).

Decor is hard to fault - it's really lovely and the garden is fantastic...why on earth did the old landlord never think it worth opening it up? Full marks on that front.

I'd say the food is good, but the menu does need a refresh now to encourage locals to eat more frequently. It's not a very big menu (which isn't a bad thing), hence the need for more regular refreshing. My personal feeling is that the food has, if anything, got a little worse in the times I've eaten there - so I hope the chef isn't resting on his laurels.

However, these points are all easy to overcome, so I hope they do read all these comments as there are some v simple things that would turn it from a very nice pub to a great one.