“Best value accommodation for Cradle Mountain.”
Review of Bischoff Hotel

Bischoff Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Waratah B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed here last week. Only 37 minutes from Cradle Mountain and $80 for a twin room. Excellent value if you don't want to or can't afford the rip off prices of Cradle Mountain. An old style up,you will not get the 'Glam' of the Cradle Mountain Chalet but if you value old style service and hospitality this is the place. The owners cooked us a fantastic breakfast then sat down and ate theirs with us an chatted.
Waratah is an out of the way town and the pub is a magnificent old Queen Ann style building. Across the road is a gorge with a waterfall.
Do not take any not any notice of the detractor above. That person seems to want top class for small price. I just do not accept the bit about the cleaning closet. Having met the owners I believe it is pure fiction. The hotel is for sale,perhaps someone is trying to turn people away in a bid to drive the price down so they can get it at a cheaper price!

• Stayed: March 2013
6  Thank gary s

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have been a keen traveller for the last 2 years and a fan of Trip Advisor for advice on properties. What I don't get is how someone can view a property so poorly and someone else can rate the same property so highly. My own experience with this hotel and my hosts Lew & Bev couldn't have been better. They let me lock my bike away in their garage and even let me do minor maintenance as well. I found the room to be clean, bed comfy and good value. The steak I had for dinner was big and juicy and cooked the way I like and for $22.00 was a bargain. In fact I would come back and stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Peter O
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Our family of five stayed in the "Family Room" some time ago. After waiting for 2 hours and making many phone calls we finally had someone answer the door. The room had no windows or ventilation and the urine stained mattresses dated to 1988 (Boxing Kangaroos!). There were snow drifts of dust in all corners and a spiderweb of electrical cords patterned the floor. The experience built to a crescendo with the sneezing and sore throats caused by our sleepless, hot, airless night, and at 7.30 in the morning the proprietor came in WITH HER DOG to gather the cleaning equipment, which turned out to be in our room. We realised we were in fact sleeping in the cleaning closet (therefore probably not an inspected area). For $150 a night and with no refund agreed to, we were stuck. Please don't risk a stay here.
The "extensive library" consists of about 200 Mills and Boon stories. The common room is a dirty little table with torn chairs. The floor is sunken and we didn't even try the food downstairs.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Rachel L
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We loved it!
The spa room is glorious, beautiful view of the waterfall, great spa, excellent mattress on the bed!
Bev & Lew were fantastic hosts, they made us feel very at home. We stayed for 3 nights, we became the new locals!!
Great food, I think its the only time I haven't been let down by a photo of a burger!!
Definitely will be back and highly recommend!

Room Tip: Spa room is stunning!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AmellieH
Reviewed December 18, 2012

This place is wonderful! Myself and friend loved the old worlde charm and stunning scenery nearby. We only planned one night but enjoyed it so much we stayed a second. Lou and Bev are such welcoming hosts and the food was good, home cooking at reasonable prices. Breakfast was the best I've ever had at paid accommodation. We also met some locals and had a few drinks in the bar in very pleasant company.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank wrodd99
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Loved the place! It has character, friendly staff, nice home made food. It even has a zoo at night if you like to watch dozens of wallaby's around the place. Great unspoilt view of the Waratah Falls. The wood fire in the pub made it cosy and the beers on tap were nice. Will be dropping in again if passing though on our next visit to Tassie!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Peterb1959
Reviewed May 21, 2012

My family and I stayed in one of the self contained units and were delighted to find that we not only had an lcd tv, modern kitchen and bathroom but also an air conditioner. Coming from the city it was great to have peace and quiet and no traffic. We looked at staying at Cradle mountain but it was so expensive we decided to stay in Waratah which was only a short drive to Cradle anyway and we saved a bundle of cash. We viewed the town's waterfall whilst having a meal in the hotel. Everything was fresh and the vegetables were cooked perfectly. I would recommend this establishment for their fine food and friendly approach

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Daniel G

Been to Bischoff Hotel? Share your experiences!