“Stellar adventure ranch experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sonora
Tierra Chamahua EcoAdventures at Rancho Los Banos
Ranked #1 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Sonora
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My son, Robin, and I just spent a week at Rancho los Banos. Having selected then Ranch based on excellent reviews in Trip Advisor and other website, I have to say that the experience far exceeded the expectations established. Personal service and attention to detail from Manuel and the hospitality and guidance of the ranch's vaqueros was exceptional. From pick up to drop off in Tucson our comfort and security was cleatly to the forefornt whilst the experience of the wilderness of the Sonoran desert was fresh, vivid and adventurous, Diego, our guide for the week provided an authentic and uplifting experience during rides up to 6 hours a day (we would have done more). Hiking was also exceptional and, in the course of week we encountered deer, havelinas, coyote and a cats-paw-print in wet sand which was awesome in its presence. All this and a bona fide gold mine! Authentic food and steaks barbequed above mesquite...and colours out of Georgia O'Keefe. A feast for ever sense and a perfect balance of activity (in our case horse riding and hiking) and stillness...evenings on the porch of El Cumaral in the moonlight, listening to coyotes yip and howl in the rugged landscape. Definately the whole enchillada...and the enchillada wa fine!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Tierra Chamahua EcoAdventures at Rancho Los Banos

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I visited Rancho Los Banos for 8 nights in October with the express aim of seeing as much of the wildlife as I could, particularly the cats. Unfortunately the wildlife was not cooperating and very little was seen. The ranch looks ideal for Birdwatching with diverse habitat and a good variety of flora, but few species were seen. However, at a different time of year I’m sure it would be excellent. Wild cats are notoriously difficult to see and so it proved on the ranch, I saw several tracks left by cats and a member of the racoon family called a Ring-tailed cat (Bassariscus astutus) but that was it for the cats. Other wildlife was seen, with the Antelope Jack Rabbits (Lepus alleni) the most abundant, and included Javelina, Coues deer and Coyotes.

Hiking and horseback riding are the main activities on the ranch and both are highly recommended. As a novice horseback rider I was apprehensive, and the terrain is very rugged, but I was very well looked after by the cowboys and once the pain had eased I admitted to having enjoyed the experience and came back for more. The hiking can be as hard or easy as you like, it will always be interesting with great views. My advice, to anyone hiking during or around October, would be to wear some lightweight gaiters as the various seeds that you pick up can be very irritating.

The first three nights of my stay were at Cabana de Los Penascos, this did not live up to the description in the Tierra Chamahua Eco Adventures web site. No gas was available for use in the kitchen and the hot water supply in the bathroom was temperamental at best. The whole building needed a good clean. Having said that I was made very welcome by Manuel Snr. and the cowboys and enjoyed my stay.

I then moved to El Cumaral Lodge with Manuel Jnr. as my guide/cook/companion. Here the accommodation did live up to the web site description. The food throughout my visit was ample and nourishing; every effort was made to cater to my taste buds no matter how alien it seemed to the cooks.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I recently traveled to Tierra Chamahua primarily to turn off the mobile device in exchange for a week of hiking without the day to day amenities of a city. The landscape is remote, untraveled and simply beautiful from sunrise to sunset. It's Mexico like you've probably never seen before. Manuel Sr. and Jr. are engaging, fantastic hosts and have a real connection with the land. Manuel Jr. knows the plethora of different hiking trails like the back of his hand and makes it an absolute priority to cater to his guests specific interests. The week exceeded all expectations. I would highly recommend the ranch.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I just returned from Tierra Chamahua and am happy to report it lives up to every recommendation on this site. Manuel does a fantastic job making sure his guests enjoy themselves and experience the beauty of the ranch. Horseback riding looked fantastic, however I prefered to hike everyday instead and was surrounded by lush canyons and crystal clear swimming holes. I highly recommend the ranch.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My daughter (11) and I went to this ranch (Tierra Chamahua) and had a fantastic time. We both love to ride and the trails there are truly breath-taking and fun. Although August is hot we still enjoyed the time there and also the kayaking. My daughter loved the hanging gardens and cool spring fed creeks too. The horses are remarkable especially with their sturdy and safe footing--they carried us places we couldn't believe! The lodging was also nice and the views were truly spectacular and with the nightly light show and afternoon monsoon we were simply delighted. Highly recommended especially if you like incredible views and great trail rides and truly out of the ordinary scenery and away from civilization- this is the place for you - a relaxing, fun and adventurous time away!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I have been to several ranches. For riding, this tops them all. The scenery is magnificent. The rides challenging, yet safe. The horses are well mannered and responsive and take the moutainous terrain in stride. Everyone was great..crew and guests alike. The food was fabulous, as well. We will return!!!

Room Tip: Only one room has a private bath. Hot water is available in the afternoon...great after a long ride...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2012

On the spur of the moment, I decided to book a trip by myself, something out of the ordinary, something where I would see and experience something new. I was so lucky to find Tierra Chamahua EcoAdvenures. The experience was even better than I expected. Even now, when I think back (I've been back about six weeks now), the memories are so vivid. All of the people I met on this trip, whether it was someone associated with the ranch itself or one of the other guests there, were so warm and friendly. I felt like I was vacationing with friends and family. The sites were simply breathtaking. Every day was something new to see, something new to experience. The horses were calm and even though I had very little horseback riding experience and not for many many years, I never felt the least bit uncomfortable or as though I did not have control of the horse I was riding. These were not your standard "trail rides" by any stretch but you never have to do more than you are comfortable with. The same goes for the hikes. The food was fabulous and plentiful. If you have special dietary restrictions, the staff always try to accommodate that as well. You know, I could go and on. But all you would be reading is more superlatives. It was truly a wonderful vacation that allowed me to push myself but never further than I wanted. So glad I had this opportunity. Amazing staff, stunning scenery, truly unique.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo