“Beautiful, perfect place to stay”

The Flycatcher Inn B&B Boutique Hotel Uxmal
Ranked #2 of 2 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Unfortunately we stayed only one night at that wonderful place. The grounds are ever so nice and quite, the only sound you hear is the nature around you. You stay in different little houses and they fit perfectly in the nature. We have booked a normal room over the internet but had an upgrading to the suite upon arrival. The suite costs just a few dollars more and is definatley worth it. Our room was very big, it had a fridge and air condition, and the bathroom was huge! The owners are exremely helpful and attentive. Although Santiago told us that they often have problems with the Internet the reservation over the Internet and the mails we wrote where answered very quickly. We had breakfast at the hotel which was included in the room rate and it was probably one of the best breakfasts we had on our whole trip through Mexico. It is also a perfect spot for trips to Uxmal and the Puuc Route - Uxmal as well as Kabah is about 10 minutes with the car. The Flaycatcher Inn is definately a lot nicer to stay in than the hotels near Uxmal. And last - thank you Rosa for telling us about the Mexican rodeo in Santa Elena in the evening; that was a highlight of our holiday!

Room Tip: The Suite is really big and costs only a few dollar more than a normal room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sunny260467
There are newer reviews for The Flycatcher Inn B&B Boutique Hotel Uxmal

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Having been this area many times, I have stayed in many of the other options in the area, in addition to Flycatcher. One trip a freind had recommended Flycatcher, but when we drove by the sign, for some reason we didn't turn in. I think the sign is nicer now though, but don't let it distract you. Turn in and check it out if you don't have resos.
The Starwood Haciendas are fabulous, no doubt about it. I love them. The lodging at the ruins of Uxmal are convenient, if overpriced and boring. Flycatcher is an excellent alternative to the on site Uxmal hotels, and a very different option than a Starwood. Not necessarily worse, given the huge price difference, just different.
Have stayed there twice and I will likely spend part of my next trip down here with Cristine and Santiago (born here), the interesting owners. They have a wealth of knowledge and information, from the latest rumors of the condition of a remote road to info on seldom visited ruins. Many of these type hotels are cute enough but uncomfortable, not here. Mattresses are good (rare!) and the rooms are spotless. Being just on the edge of town, it is reasonable quiet, but if there is fiesta, you will still hear the party a bit.
Breakfast can take a while, but that is OK, especially if you have Cristine (Canadian or American, I forget) there to give you some tips over coffee. Being locals, they know everyone and everything about the town, which can be an interesting experience. We had to visit a doctor as one of our party was ill, and they told us where to go, when, etc., as the doctor in the village was Santiago's relative. Wonderful experience, and the doctor was a great help.
We stayed in the motel style rooms near the house both times, but there are a couple units on the grounds, don't think it really matters.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank TamaraK
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We have stayed at the Flycatcher several times. It is a true treasure. Knda off the beaten path, but very close to Uxmal. There is a lot to see in this area, real Mexico, not tourist Mexico. The rooms are comfy and decorated with art, Kristine and Santiago have collected over the years. The main house and gardens are gorgeous. They serve a wonderful breakfast. Kristine and Santiago are very helpful if you are planning on seeing something in the area they can suggest day trips. Rose and the staff are a delight. You can walk to some good restaurants. Lot of birds, beautiful birds, did I mention the birds? This is a place just to enjoy and relax.

Room Tip: Walk across the street to Choc Mool and have the Yucatan chicken. It is outstanding. Small hole in t...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank aaquwaa
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I stayed for 9 days in the Yucatan, traveling from Merida to Campeche, and the Flycatcher was definitely the best place I stayed. The rooms are charming, spotlessly clean, and the grounds are beautifully maintained. The breakfast, served on the sun filled patio, was outstanding, and Kristine was on hand each morning to give lots of local travel advice. She knows just about everything in the area, so be sure to ask her where to visit before jumping in your car for the day (she can recommend some great, off-the-beaten-path, spots). There is a lot to see and do in the surrounding area, and it's worth a few days of exploring. I found the Flycatcher Inn and surrounding countryside a lot more charming than Merida. If I were visiting again, I would recommend making your home base here, rather than the city. It's an amazing area!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Chel house, which was excellent. It's a free standing cottage in the middle of...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank on_the_road415
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My mother & I had a reservation at the Flycatcher which, due to health problems, we had to cancel. Kristine was excellent at helping us with our reservation & when we had to cancel. Very easy & accessible to 'speak' to on email even with time difference.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank julie n
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I spent three days at Flycatcher in Feb 2012, and as in my three previous visits, I had a marvelous time. The location is very good for seeing the nearby ruins, the place is immaculate, the rooms are super comfortable and the breakfasts are to die for--fresh fruits, lovely egg dishes and all the trimmings. The staff are extemely pleasant and helpful: Santiago and Kristine know the area and the history and are eager to make your stay perfect, and that Rosa (Oh, if I were just a few years younger!!) and Nidia go to the limit to make things ideal for you. I drove a good many miles out of my way to be sure I stayed at the Flycatcher. I've also just finished reading Kristine's book, which I can give a great big Thumbs Up!! I'll certainly be there again when I'm next in Yucatan.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank JosephNP
Reviewed March 8, 2012

The Flycatcher staff welcomed us with open arms and open hearts. My wife and I truly had the sense that we were staying in someone's home. We were there for three weeks in February, and spent many wonderful days getting to know St. Elena and the surrounding area. Santiago was our superb guide on four, one-day excursions to Puuc ruins, cenotes, and nearby towns. Because he is from the area we learned about the culture and unrecorded history as we drove from place to place. Even if you arrive by car I recommend going on trips with Santiago. Kristine is a great sounding board for potential trips and her recently published book, Adventures in the Yucatan, gives a Northerner a sense of what it was like to start all over in a foreign country. Rosa, Nidia and the rest of the staff couldn't do enough for us to make our stay better. Great beds ,excellent breakfasts and beautiful grounds. I am probably going to become a bird watcher because of all the birds we saw.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel Puuc
Hotel Puuc
#1 of 1 in Oxkutzcab
The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant

Been to The Flycatcher Inn B&B Boutique Hotel Uxmal? Share your experiences!