“a little oasis”

The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My husband,Bob, and I stayed at the Pickled Onion when we visited Uxmal and surroundings. We knew we had chosen well when, as we were bringing our luggage in, Valerie introduced herself and asked if we would like a drink by the pool. Our drinks were waiting for us in short order and we got to watch a lovely sunset and unwind by the pool. I even managed to get into the over the water hammock! If you are looking for something more authentic than "all inclusive" resorts, this is your place. I could see staying a few days here to explore the town and surrounding ruins.The on site restaurant is excellent.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you for the time you took to write a review... it really means a lot to me.
People love the hammock over the pool it is so relaxing .... the sunsets are wonderful to watch and the rising of the moon is at times incredible ,lighting up the abundance of stars in the night. When it is a full moon it is like walking in daylight...swimming in a full moon certainly regenerates your energy.
I hope you can make it back someday and know you will be made welcomed
Again thank you

Reviewed February 19, 2014

What an exceptional stay! The Pickled Onion is just beautiful. The grounds are stunning and so well attended. The Mayan cabanas are just lovely, spotless and well appointed. The feeling of being in the middle of the jungle is wonderful. The restaurant is also spotless and the food is excellent. I only wished we could have stayed longer but we will be back next year. The best part of the whole experience is the owner Valerie. She is an amazing women and takes the time to get to know her guests and she does treat you like you are one of the family. Her entire staff is very welcoming and helpful. This was one of the best travel experiences we have had.

Room Tip: Cabanas at the end of the property are very private and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

so happy you enjoyed your stay with me! For me too it was a delight to have you both here!
There will always be a welcome for you here and I am already looking forward to your next visit
take care

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife, Sheila, and I stayed at the Pickled Onion for three nights, Jan 27-29. If you read all the recent excellent reviews, you can understand why we chose to stay there. We wholeheartedly agree with all the positive comments. In addition to all the rave reviews of the Pickled Onion, we must say that Valerie Pickles herself was one of the highlights of our trip. She spends time with each of her guests in the evening over dinner and in the morning at breakfast. She is a delightful lady and a font of knowledge about the people and places in that part of the Yucatan. You can ask her anything, and we did. It seems that she is friends with everyone in the area. We wanted to visit a place in the Yucatan that was away from the tourist throng, a place where we could connect with the Mayan people, and a place where we could visit Mayan ruins without climbing over bus loads of other tourists and fending off vendors. St Elena and the Pickled Onion provided a perfect location for us. The ruins at Uxmal are amazing. We visited four Mayan ruins during our three weeks in Mexico, and Uxmal was our favorite. Valerie hooked us up with a wonderful guide, Jorge, who led us on a three and a half hour tour. We went early in the morning and practically had the place to ourselves. We climbed the Grand Pyramid and learned so much about the ancient Mayans. The next day Valerie hooked us up with Rolando who picked us up with his motorbike taxi. We spent the entire morning with Rolando who is one of the indigenous Mayan people living in St. Elena. He took us to his home where we met his mom, dad, wife, and daughter. We learned all about the self-sufficient lifestyle of a traditional Mayan family. (His dad still makes rope from sisal). Rolando took us to the mill where the women have their corn milled into flour, to the church and its little museum (See the mummy.), and to the town's cemetery. During our stay at the Pickled Onion, we also visited the town of Ticul, the ruins at Kabah, and the Ecomuseo de Cacao. All in all, we had an incredible visit with Valrerie at her Pickled Onion B&B in St Elena..

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful. Pick your room based on the bed size and number of beds that you need.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Oh on the contrary it was an incredible three days with you . Your adventurous spirit and inquisitive mind to learn as much as you could encourages me to give more information about the Maya people.I will pass the message onto Jorge how you enjoyed your visit to Uxmal with him and also to Rolando ,they will be very proud of the fact that you mentioned them.
I sincerely hope you wonderful revue will encourage other travellers to know the marvels of the Maya world

Reviewed February 13, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at The Pickled Onion after a busy day at Uxmal and visiting a hacienda. Our cabana was lovely, with a nice modern bathroom, and rustic Mayan appearance. The grounds are beautiful, with a lovely pool and lush vegetation. We had a comfortable night's sleep even though there is no air conditioning on the premises. It had rained in the afternoon, so the night was cool, but humid. It must be difficult to sleep later in the year. If The Pickled Onion were in Belize, we wouldn't give the lack of air conditioning a second thought since many places lack ac there, and your body does adjust, but this was the only place we encountered in Mexico that did not provide ac, including some hostels that we stayed at.

The next morning was sunny, and it was pleasant having breakfast in the garden area. The breakfast is referred to as continental, so we were planning to order some extra food, but what was served was more than adequate and delicious. There was local fresh fruit, breads and spreads, yogurt, granola (that seemed homemade), coffee, fresh juice and breakfast pastries.

As we were returning to our cabana to pack up and check out, we talked to couple lounging by the pool. They were staying another night and just relaxing at The Pickled Onion all day. What an inviting idea!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thank you for your comments on trip advisor .

In response to not having air conditioning... i suspect the hostels that you stayed in were built of concrete so therefore if this was the case here I would certainly put in air conditioning as block rooms are very hot.
Here I try to give you the experience of staying in a typical Maya style home, with high palapa ceilings that have natural air flow and the fans help to keep it cool.The temperature in these homes are usually at 10c cooler than outside which is what air conditioners should be set at realisticly so as not to shock the body temperature.The fans in the room also help with air circulation keeping the rooms fresh and cool.
Because of the roof type to put in Air con would really defeat the natural air flow concept of the buildings . On this note ,I may just try one room to see how they would function but this would mean it would drastically increase the price of the rooms.Electricty here is very expensive and can sometimes cost more than in your own country... I know this sound strange but its is a fact..
Most people travel in the cooler seasons of winter and our slow time is when it is the hottest May and June. Because it is slow we take this time to repaint and maintain the place.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

The experience at the Picked Onion couldn't be better. Valerie and her staff are WONDERFUL. It has been a while since I didn't experiment the best star show in the middle of the jungle.

The rooms, the wonderful bed, the delicious breakfast... the sweet bread... all was perfect for our night stay at the Picked Onion.

Valerie, we did enjoy our conversation so much... you have such a lovely story and have such a positive attitude towards problems. Thank you for everything. Let's keep in touch.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Nelson thank you so much for your wonderful comments... you and your friends were an absolute delight to have as guests... one could not ask for better and for this I thank you .
Yes the stars are amazing at night as you can see a clear view from any part of the property.More spectacular when there is a full moon... it like walking in daylight as the moons rays reflect along the paths and the pool.I feel so lucky to be living here in your country and I thank ALL Mexicans for having accepted a complete stranger into their midst. You are all so welcoming ,warm and open.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Everything what you expect to find from your trip to Yukatan, you will find here! Santa Elena is a charming village situated near to many interesting historical sites. People are kind and open, but the best experience is certainly the Pickled Onion. You will find here great and healthy food, comfortable but still authentic accommodation (beautifully decorated!), garden with rich vegetation which will give you the feeling of being connected with nature, excellent service and personal care for every guest. You will become familiar with the life of villagers and in that way build more profound and memorable experience. I have no other words than THANKS to Pickled Onion... I hope we will return.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

I really have to thank you so very much for this lovely revue . I am so glad you experienced the village and its people... they are very charming and open ,as you said.
I mentioned to the gardeners your comment too and they were so pleased and proud of the work they are doing to keep it lush and clean . Again thank you .
There will always be a welcome for pleasant people like yourselves.You were the most gracious guests and great to be around
I thank you again

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Seven years ago, we happened on Valerie's newly opened restaurant, we were there on the second night she had opened and ate by candlelight before the electricity arrived some weeks later. Food was delicious. We went away amazed at this brave happy lady embarking on a grand adventure - and we were worried for her too. Seven years later, we returned to find a thriving restaurant -still good food!-and 8 mayan nahs to stay in, a pool!, and a most welcoming and positive hostess! What a success!! Valerie has a caring and respectful attitude with her staff ( I hope you value that like we do) and it shows in their relaxed but professional manner. There are people who create a wonderful world by their energy and vision and Valerie is certainly one of them. A privilege to meet her.

The nahs are rustically authentic looking but with a surprise of a comfortable bed, good linens and a beautiful bathroom. Ok, that is not authentic but most welcome after a hard day of touring.

You may have already sussed that this is a special place from the other reviews. There are other places to stay but why would you not want to stay at the place with such a vibrant welcoming atmosphere - and the only place to get lunch and dinner in the area? Not to mention the bountiful breakfast that comes with the room price. Many kinds of fruit, sweet bread, toast, juice, granola, yogurt, coffee ( we added double cappuccinos to start the day).

We returned after seven years, but we met people who return EVERY year. That probably is enough of a recommendation in itself. Stay here - it will be a great memory for you.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth W
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Wow! my goodness you brought tears to my eyes when I read this lovely comment...How honoured I was to see people return after 7 years and to see how this place has grown... I was so happy to share it with you . You were both the most charming and understanding of guests that anyone could wish to have . Your energy too ,brought in a sense of peace thank you!
I really do hope I see you again maybe not here but in another part of the world.. I feel sure we will connect again
Until that day Have more wonderful travels and I know you would be welcomed wherever you go

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Elena
#1 of 1 in Oxkutzcab
Hotel Plaza
Hotel Plaza
#2 of 2 in Ticul

Been to The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant? Share your experiences!