“Wonderful Atmosphere”

Ranked #1 of 2 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Oxford
“Wonderful Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

We are a retired couple who have just returned from the Yucatan. our stay at the Pickled Onion was a highlight of the trip. We felt close to nature in the beautiful gardens and our Mayan style cabana was so comfortable. The food was delicious and the whole package was very economical.

Room Tip: Any one of the rooms have their own charm. Check out the website
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
How lovely that you enjoyed your stay here with me...and that it became one of your highlights of your trip... It is still an amazement to me when taking a walk around the property. From a fierce jungle to a tamed garden,Maya huts, restaurant etc in only 7 years, I dont know how it was done but it was . How grateful am I to the universe that helped me create... and how wonderful that people like yourselves get the chance to enjoy, what has been created.
Again thank you for your comments
I hope you have more wonderful ,joyful journeys with collecting lots of great memories along the way
Take care
Valerie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

The huts are far away from the road, so pretty quiet. We didn't get a chance to use the pool but its a big plus when exploring the Puuc route or Uxmal in the heat. The owner Valerie is really nice and thoughtful, and her own story about how she ended up in Santa Elena is quite interesting. If making a trip from Uxmal to the Puuc route, THIS is the place to make a pit-stop! Amazing food as well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you so much for the time you took to write a revue I really appreciate it.
So happy too that you enjoyed my place and it was indeed a pleasure to have you here.
There will always be a place for you if you ever do come back this way.....
Take care and travel well
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

This place is amazing, on the dude if the road, hidden a bit on a small hill. But when you find it, you discover colorful cabañas, swimming pool, flowers, palms, and.. You do not want to leave! Doña Valeria, our lovely host, personally looks after her guests. Plus delicious food, great proximity to Mayan archeological zones! Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It is really appreciated.And if you ever want to return there will always be a place for you
i hope you have many wonderful travels and experiences on your road of life
Take care
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

October 29, 2013.
Today I wake up in the small town of Santa Elena, Mexico, where I have been for the last 2 days. Not a town on most major tourist stops but a gem of a place with so much to see, feel and do. Specifically, I came to Santa elena to the small B&B called “ the pickled onion”. I stumbled on this place years ago when it was a restaurant and had 2 small Mayan style structures for rental. The owner, creator of this spot is Valerie Pickles, hence the name. A transplant from Canada, born in England, she has her own unique story of how she arrived in the Yucatan.
I have been drawn back here on almost every occasion I come to the Yucatan because it feels really good to be here. Its that simple. Its quiet, big in history (the Mayan culture), the food is the best ever, the people are friendly, helpful and I can truly relax here. Today Valerie has 8 cottages to stay. Each unique and with everything you could possibly need. She has managed to get wifi here and has a lovely swimming pool. We are staying at one called T’sook Nah, which means the “last House” since she claims she will not build more. We will see!!! Our room has a king bed, very comfortable with ceiling fan. NO A/C but you do not need it since the Mayan palapa roof keep the place cool. Great screens on the windows and doors. Nice bathroom with walk in shower, sink and toilet. Hot & cold water. A small table, refrigerator and coffee maker. The room price includes a large breakfast in a beautiful outdoor terrace. There are a series of small towns near by with interesting things to see. If you have never traveled to a small town in the middle of the country, then this is a trip you will want to do. There is the Ruta de Pudc. The route to see many Mayan ruins (Uxmal, Sayil, Kabah, Labnah Loltun) Each unique and wonderful to visit. If you are not the type of person to want to visit a busy commercial place and you enjoy discovering things that none of your friends will have seen, then this is a place for you. If you want room service and a place to wear a shirt and tie for dinner then this is NOT the place for you. Once you have visited here, your life with be enriched. You will never forget it. The local people work harder then most anywhere else. I congratulate Valerie for being such a good influence on this community and offering an opportunity for the locals to have stable jobs. The Pickled Onion is truly a asset to this community. I know you will agree, should you decide to stop and stay here while you check out the area.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Acmeflower
Thank you so very much for this lovely revue.You have seen my place grow from humble beginnings to what we have now..... It is always so nice for people to come back and see how we are always transforming.The gardens get bigger and more lush, the service gets better and with more staff it gives me time to converse more with the clients giving information, when needed , without being invasive of their private time.
It always a pleasure to have the two of you here and I hope soon I can come and visit you in your paradise by the Riviera Maya
I wish you all the very best
hugs
Mérida, Yucatan, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Three of us stayed at The Pickled Onion while touring the Yucatan Peninsula. The Pickled Onion was a highlight of our trip. Our room was wonderful, with a large bathroom, a seating area, and even a loft with an extra bed. I slept like a rock. The gardens are incredible, with many fruit trees yielding all manner of tropical treats. There is a beautiful pool area with hammock swinging over the water. Our fresh fruit breakfast, along with yogurt and granola and fresh fruit juice mix, hit the spot and sent us on our way ready to face another day of travel. (Until you have tasted a banana that was pulled off the tree 5 minutes earlier, you haven't really had a banana.) And the location is perfect for making day trips to many local attractions. We had a light dinner in the restaurant the night before, and it, too, was delicious. Valerie is a great hostess and you can see the love she has for The Pickled Onion, as we now do, as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jordy H
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
It was wonderful having you all here with me and so happy you got to see where I live.
The intermingling of flowers and fruit trees seem to one of the favourites with the guests.Lovely photos too that you took whilst here. I really hope you come back someday there will always be a warm welcome for you here!
Modiin, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

If you happen to tour the Yucatan peninsula, Mexico , you should see Uxmal - one of the greatest Maya archeological sites. 12 kilometers from Uxmal we found a dreamy place by the name "The Pickled Onion". This is like a small heaven within the villages around.... The owner, Valerie pickles is an exceptional person and gave us really personal treatment. The rooms are nice and clean, there is a swimming pool and the meals are very tasty. The price is more than fair and other than that, just go there – you'll have a really good time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments. It was a great pleasure to have you here with me all the way from Isreal and of course you will be always welcomed back. Many people are surprised when I take them to their rooms behind the restuarant and see the lovely gardens and the setting. I love it when I hear a gasp of surprise as it warms my heart .
I hope your have many more happy travels along your lives journey
Merida, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was the second time that I stayed here and it was a lot of fun. Valerie the owner was there to great us and just ever so kind and helpful. Our party had 3 of the Mayan huts for our stay all of the rooms were lovely as they were the previous time that I'd been here. The main reason to stay here is to visit Uxmal or other Mayan sites on the Ruta Puuc. This is THE place to stay for a 'Mayan' experience. Surrounded by jungle in these 'huts' is quite an experience on its own BUT one can have the Mayan jungle experience and still sleep in a super comfy bed, with fabulous sheets and a modern bathroom with thick thirsty towels. The breakfast is lovely tropical fruits on the patio. Breakfast was so pleasant that we really had to make an effort to get up from the table to get off to Uxmal (which is only a few minutes away). I could have sat there in tht lovely setting until luchtime, it was so pleasant. As well there is a great pool, very clean as well. Valerie really makes you feel welcome and I will definitely go there again.

Room Tip: Eat here- the food is very good. Better that what you will find in the village of Santa Elena
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank annabella333
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello and thank you so much for your lovely comments and so happy you enjoyed the experience.I am really happy how the breakfast patio turned out.. I find myself sitting there at times so that I can get the feel of how the guests would like it. We now have lighting around the patio so one can enjoy the evenings too. A great place to contact with internet and play a few games.
Take care and know that you are always welcome to come back
What is that they say here in Mexico... mi casa es su casa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Elena
#1 of 1 in Oxkutzcab
Hotel Plaza
Hotel Plaza
#2 of 2 in Ticul

Been to The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant? Share your experiences!