“Magical place to stay!”

The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

If you are going to make the ruta Puuc, this is the place to stay! A b&b made with love!
It has the feeling of home but in the middle of nowhere in Mexico! Very close to Uxmal so the place is really inspiring!
Very comfy and sweet! Good value for what you pay! Once you stay for 1 night you won't want to leave!
The restaurant is very good too!
Valerie is a wonderful woman who decided to move from England to Mexico 8 years ago... and you will understand why! She shines with happiness.

This is a must! :)

1  Thank GpTrululuu
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

I appreciate your time in making a comment on trip adviser it really means a lot to me .
I am so happy that you enjoyed stay and that you felt comfortable and relaxed.
So many times people say they wish they could have stayed one night longer.... this to me means so much. It has been a lot of hard work to get to this point but I am happy with the results and more happy when I have lovely people staying like yourselves
Again thank you

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I must have offended the owner when at my arrival I had put in the restaurant, what had been pointed out as the reception, my backpack (its protection coat evil messed up in the bus) on a chair standing at the wall for no obvious reason.
She had been unfriendly from the first moment on, making more a impatient gesture than speaking words to free the chair. Her answer to my question that I am looking for a single cabaña was that available would be only a big cabaña for $88, but it would be with fridge and coffeemaker.
Searching to get away from civilization for a while I told this wouldn't be what I was looking for. "If your budget does not allow it, I have nothing else for you." "It's not dependant on my budget, but I am not looking for a fridge and a coffeemachine. I have lived in Yucatan very simple and this is what I am looking for."
I had for all the time I had to do with her the feeling that she really wasn't able to stand me. I wondered why. From my outlooks there was not any reason given for that.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for you comment on trip adviser
I am so sorry that you felt this way upon your arrival .
The room I offered you was the only one left at this time and the price of this family room that houses up to 5 people is 68US . I dont acutally have rooms at the high price that was quoted on the comment. The less expensive rooms where all taken so I could not offer you anything else. And as you mentioned to me you were looking to pay a lot less.... All the rooms are equipped with fridges and coffee makers ,toiletries and more.
I am accustomed to receiving many backpackers looking for acomodation but most , not all, are normally looking for the price range of $200 pesos a night or even less....In this changing world of the yucatan these prices are difficult to come by or if you do the rooms are in disarray . I know because I have lived here in the Yucatan for more than 8 years now!

As for the chairs I was concerned seeing a huge backpack that was placed on the restuarant chairs that are new, made of bamboo and nicely upholstered cushions , I am sure most people would appreciate my concern.
Again I thank you for your comment and I hope you have better luck in the future

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was staying at a local hotel and wanted to find a place close by for dinner. had some cold beer and some really good mexican food. was just what I wanted. i didnt stay at the hotel but if its as good as the food I would stay there on my next visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for your review on trip adviser.........
I am very happy that you enjoyed the food here and the cold beer! I hope to see you again in the future You would be very welcomed!

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We spent only one night in the Pickled Onion in our trip from Calakmul to the Puuc Route.
We arrived very late in the night (22.30) but the owner Valerie was still waiting for us and, when we told her we hadn't eaten yet, she immediately prepared an excellent sandwich for us. The breakfast also was delicious as well as the lunch box we bought for the next day (sandwich, salad, fresh fruit and a small pack of dry fruits). The "cabanas" here are very nice, accurate in every detail and you will also find some books waiting for you and helping to discover this region. Our only regret? To have spent just one night here !

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Yes, the late arrival made me a little worried wondering if all was O K . It was a relieve to see you though. People sometimes dont realize or are given the wrong information about distances and I felt so sorrow for you knowing how you must have been exasperated after such a long drive.
I am happy though for the sort time you were able to stay that you enjoyed it
Again thank you

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel is in the middle of the jungle, the huts are well furnished and very clean. The owner Valerie is very frindly and helpful. The location is perfect to see all the ruines in this area. I wouled stay there for more days then only one.

• Stayed: January 2013
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write on trip adviser it really means so much to me.As well as helpful for other travellers
I hope further travels take you far and wide and enjoy many more experiences along the way

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Pickled Onion ist a very beautifull and lovely place to stay. Valerie and her Team are so friendly and helpful.The Mayan hut we stayed were very clean and so nice decorated.Thanks again for the upgrade. The Dinner and Cocktails as well as the breakfast was very delicious. We enyojed the time so much.Thanks again for meeting you and your Team.

• Stayed: January 2013
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Im so happy that you enjoyed your stay here... to get to this point it has taken 6 years to build , not without heartache and headache but we survived the worst and now reaping the best.
We will continue growing, with the help of people like yourselves ,it makes our work a pleasure .
I always pass on the comments to the staff ( who are all people from the village of Santa Elena) because it makes them feel worthwhile too .
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to trip advisor it is really appreciated

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Valerie & her staff are warm & welcoming & make every effort to ensure guests are comfortable & well-informed. The Mayan houses are wonderful - traditionally built but with hot shower & fridge + coffee/ tea-making facilities for a perfect stay. The included breakfast is delicious - fresh & local/homemade as are other meals in the restaurant. Tip to British visitors: Valerie will love you forever if you take her some real English teabags! ;) We would dearly love to go back there...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for your comment on trip advisor
It was great to have you here with me and maybe next time you will stay longer it would be the greatest of pleasure to have you again
Oh and yes yes yes I would love anyone for ever ,it they brought me some real english tea!
Ill let you know if i get some
Have a great new year and wherever you choose to travel , travel well
kindest regards

The Flycatcher Inn B&B Boutique Hotel Uxmal
La Casa del Mago
La Casa del Mago
#1 of 1 in Uxmal

Been to The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant? Share your experiences!