“A little paradise near to the Puuc Route”

The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We spent only one night in the Pickled Onion in our trip from Calakmul to the Puuc Route.
We arrived very late in the night (22.30) but the owner Valerie was still waiting for us and, when we told her we hadn't eaten yet, she immediately prepared an excellent sandwich for us. The breakfast also was delicious as well as the lunch box we bought for the next day (sandwich, salad, fresh fruit and a small pack of dry fruits). The "cabanas" here are very nice, accurate in every detail and you will also find some books waiting for you and helping to discover this region. Our only regret? To have spent just one night here !

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Yes, the late arrival made me a little worried wondering if all was O K . It was a relieve to see you though. People sometimes dont realize or are given the wrong information about distances and I felt so sorrow for you knowing how you must have been exasperated after such a long drive.
I am happy though for the sort time you were able to stay that you enjoyed it
Again thank you

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel is in the middle of the jungle, the huts are well furnished and very clean. The owner Valerie is very frindly and helpful. The location is perfect to see all the ruines in this area. I wouled stay there for more days then only one.

• Stayed: January 2013
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write on trip adviser it really means so much to me.As well as helpful for other travellers
I hope further travels take you far and wide and enjoy many more experiences along the way

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Pickled Onion ist a very beautifull and lovely place to stay. Valerie and her Team are so friendly and helpful.The Mayan hut we stayed were very clean and so nice decorated.Thanks again for the upgrade. The Dinner and Cocktails as well as the breakfast was very delicious. We enyojed the time so much.Thanks again for meeting you and your Team.

• Stayed: January 2013
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Im so happy that you enjoyed your stay here... to get to this point it has taken 6 years to build , not without heartache and headache but we survived the worst and now reaping the best.
We will continue growing, with the help of people like yourselves ,it makes our work a pleasure .
I always pass on the comments to the staff ( who are all people from the village of Santa Elena) because it makes them feel worthwhile too .
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to trip advisor it is really appreciated

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Valerie & her staff are warm & welcoming & make every effort to ensure guests are comfortable & well-informed. The Mayan houses are wonderful - traditionally built but with hot shower & fridge + coffee/ tea-making facilities for a perfect stay. The included breakfast is delicious - fresh & local/homemade as are other meals in the restaurant. Tip to British visitors: Valerie will love you forever if you take her some real English teabags! ;) We would dearly love to go back there...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for your comment on trip advisor
It was great to have you here with me and maybe next time you will stay longer it would be the greatest of pleasure to have you again
Oh and yes yes yes I would love anyone for ever ,it they brought me some real english tea!
Ill let you know if i get some
Have a great new year and wherever you choose to travel , travel well
valerie

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Our family (grandparents, kids and grand daughter) stayed at this inn last week on our way to visit the Uxmal ruins. A late departure and getting lost in Oxkutzcab made for a late arrival at the inn. Valerie, the owner was genuinely concerned for our safety when we finally arrived. We had a fantastic late supper and Valerie and her staff made us fell more like lost family than wayward travelers. The palapa roofed bungalows are quaint and very comfortable. We were treated to a wonderful, healthy breakfast in the morning while Valerie filled us in on some of the local less-known attractions.

The inn is immaculately clean, the beds are comfy, the meals are amazing and the staff is very friendly and welcoming. Tip well, the inn is so reasonably priced!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thank you so much for this wonderful review
It was such a pleasure for me to have you all here with me
With people like yourselves you make my work so much easier
Wherever you choose to travel in the future I hope you travel well

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Excellent place near Uxmal (15 minute drive)
In the Pickled Onion you will find everything you need: very nice and cosy Mayan houses, a comfy bed, a good restaurant, hammock to relax, a swimming pool, a very healthy breakfast with heaps of fruit... I even found an interesting and nicely illustrated book about the mysterious Frederick Catherwood who explored a lot of the Maya sites in the area. In other words: go there and you will receive quality value for a little money. And the goodbye hug from owner Valerie is even for free ;-)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your revue it really means a lot to small business owners like myself.
Yes the book! I could not resist buying it when I saw it even though it was expensive but it helps to understand how the ruins where come across . A lot of interesting history that we have around here.
I hope you enjoy lots more travels along the way
take care

Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights and were overjoyed by the experience. Valerie is a welcoming, helpful host, the Mayan styled rooms are wonderfully unique and comfortable and the food is excellent. The beautiful gardens and pool just add to the value of this place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments. I really do appreciate your time and effort to do this.
Lovely people like your selves makes my work very easy. You were both a pleasure to have around. I hope you continue having wonderful adventures and experiences whereever you choose to roam.
Again thank you

The Flycatcher Inn B&B Boutique Hotel Uxmal
La Casa del Mago
La Casa del Mago
#1 of 1 in Uxmal

Been to The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant? Share your experiences!