“Had a fantastic time”

GreenLeadersGold level
Melbourne, Australia
“Had a fantastic time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

My partner and I loved our stay here. Holly Lane is situated in a fantastic location, and has a very homely feel. Close to amazing wineries and restaurants, and with an amzingly pretty setting I was really impressed! The couple that run it are extremely nice and really make the stay pleasant and welcoming, and rooms are really clean and comfortable.
Will definitely be booking another weekend here

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Our family stayed here for 4 nights and found it wonderful. Joanne and Brian were helpful, gracious and only too welcoming. My 2 girls are animal lovers, as are we, and our hosts were always keen to share their beautiful animals with our family. Our apartment was spacious, comfortable and WARM (we had NO trouble with heating or "ungracious hosts", as some other reviewer stated, and the bed was very comfortable). Yes, the water is brown, but the farm strives to be as eco friendly as possible, and the owners should be congratulated for this, not criticised. The farm is peaceful, quiet, tranquil and spellbindingly beautiful. It is a credit to this community, that in wake of such devastating fires only 4 years ago, that they still are about to have such a go ahead attitude and to move on despite all this. What a great place to show kids and us what living in the country is all about. Many thanks Joanne and Brian. We hope to see you again and thanks for your great directions to Melbourne airport!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Holly Lane is one of the more beautiful places I have stayed in during my many travels. Run by an eccentric but kind and helpful couple, (they gave us a lift out to restaurants/wineries and picked us up too which was a real plus for us given the extensive number of wineries around that area), the place oozes country charm and warmth.

The room was beautifully appointed with lovely little touches and beautiful views out over the gardens. We particularly loved Rex the talking parrot and the fact we could pat the horses in the surrounding paddocks. We found some great walking trails in the national park near by too and we decided to take a picnic up one day and had the best day, didn't see another soul and therer were the most majestic views - it was truly magic.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Holly Lane to people wanting a quiet get away or some time away with friends.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Pros:
* Lovely rural location, with easy access from Yarra Glen.
* We went for an enjoyable jog up Willowbend Drv, which is very pretty.
* We greatly enjoyed the spa, even though it is only a standard bath size with a shower over it.

Cons:
* Privacy is limited. The room is part of the main house, separated by a door that only locks on the house side. We heard the occupants moving up and down outside our room after we had gone to bed.
* The room was very cold (the weather out was average for early June), with a small heater apparently not up to the job of warming the room. The bathroom has no heating and was freezing regardless.
* The tap water is distinctly brown. We never bothered to find out why, but suspect there is nothing actually wrong with it.
* Our host was not gracious. When we explained that we were cold the first answer was, "That heater is effective enough.", then "That's the best I can do", before we were finally offered a portable heater (which did the job well).
* There was a dead moth in the corn flakes provided for our breakfast.
* We both found the bed very uncomfortable. It seemed so soft that our (normal) body weights created a great dip in the middle.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clint B
FloJo2, Owner at Holly Lane Mews, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
I thank the reviewer for his honest feed back, however I was genuinely surprised with the overall review. Our property has heating facilities in each room and when the client advised us they were not hot enough it took me by surprise as this hasn't happened before (in 7+ years.) We have a high eco rating and the rooms are well insulated, so in regard to my initial comments, I admit I was thinking on my feet to resolve the problem e.g. 'where do I find a heater at 8.30 at night' - I had no intention of being ungracious. I discussed this review with the client and I think it came as a result of the client wanting a private apartment which we have for a higher price and minimum 2 nights. The client chose to stay one night.There are other guests on the property and of course sometimes there is background noise but our rooms are independent of each other with separate entrances
.Re our water: as our tank water is collected on the property and we have many native trees the water can be slightly tannic. We could choose options such as bleaching to remove this colouring but we don't by choice . Our water is of a great quality and we do not like additives. Mattresses are subjective and this complaint hasn't been made before. I hope this response to the review helps other guests to understand this review a little kinder.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

Location is nice and rustic. Country side and all. But it doesn't help when you find spiders all over the apartment. Full facilities. Strangely, the water supply is brownish in colour when all other accommodation I stayed during my stay in victoria were clear.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank edwynx
FloJo2, Owner at Holly Lane Mews, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
The photos recorded as taken of Holly Lane are false and misleading. I have contacted Trip advisor and up till this time refuse to take them down. They are not of my property and we do not serve chinese food. I am currently speaking to my lawyers to resolve the issue. The photos are of an inner urban area . I have added someo of my own . I am vey frustated as to the lack of care for tourist establishments.!!!!!!!!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

This is a great place to stay if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Run by a really nice couple on a small working farm in the beautiful surroundings of the Yarra valley. As we didn’t have a car, they picked us up from the train station in Lilydale. The platter on arrival was excellent. Room and bathroom were excellent! Good location to the wineries in the area. Really enjoyable stay!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple