“Already Planning my next trip back!”

Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rio San Juan
Markham, Canada
“Already Planning my next trip back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

I stayed at the Bahia with a friend in the beginning of February and loved it! I know that there was a story on here earlier about someone being sick and having major issues at the resort, and I can assure everyone I now find this extremely hard to believe. We always had a minimum of 2 1.5L bottled waters in our room, and it was restocked daily. My friend had an ear issue when we were there and we went to the 24hour medical clinic on the resort waited a couple minutes for our turn saw the doctor (didn’t have to give any money upfront because she has medical insurance) they gave her the remedy, and they even gave her an appointment the next day to come back for a follow up.

The resort itself is magnificent. Really clean grounds, not outdated at all. The rooms were what I expected and the same as every Bahia Principe Resort. The only issue I had with our room was that there wasn’t any extra outlets in the room for us gals to plug in our straightner in. So anytime we charged anything we had to unplug a lamp or the tv. We seemed to luck out and get a room with 2 double beds. I overheard a lot of people on the resort complaining that they only got 2 singles.

The pool, beach, staff and bars were amazing. Every day was a blast. And the other vacationers at the resort were also very amusing. When you are going to an all inclusive resort you have to expect that there will be entertaining young people around. Instead of complaining about the drunk Canadians I will say it is what made our trip, especially the guys with the hats……Hi Monkey!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank hurleygurl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

The resort was awesome. Entertainment staff was always friendly and a lot of fun!! I would def return to this resort in the future. Food was very good as well. Nothing to complain about except the rooms could be cleaner.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Chanel1991
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

I am writing this review in the reception of the hotel. I have been here for 2 weeks with my wife, in the upgraded Golden Club.. I will comment on the usual areas;

Food; It gets a bit repetative but what All Inclusive doesn't. Generally the food is of good quality...something for everybody. We haven't suffered with any ill effects.

Rooms; A bit dated but perfectly servicable. You don't go on ya hols to the Caribbean to spend it in your room! Mini bar stocked daily. The club rooms boast a coffee maker amongst other things but you rarely get any coffee to put in it.. We had to sleep with the air con on every night to drown out the noise of the noisey neighbours coming back to their rooms at 0230hrs, shouting, screaming, arguing and even fighting and I have to say all our problems were caused by Canadians who clearly don't have any consideration for their fellow guests. Sadly 80% of the guests fall into this catagory.

Beach; Not bad, if you want white sand goto the Caribbean side of the island. Water is choppy and not much good for snorkel. Apart from that....fine.
INSECT BITES; Take expedition strength mozzy repellant, the stuff that disolves your watch strap. That's the only way you can hope to avoid the little b******s. it's not just mozzys but sand flys and anything else with wings that seems to make this area it's home.

Staff; I ain't one to be easily impressed. I take All Inclusives twice a year, all over the world and have done so for 20 years. The staff here can't do enough for you. Waiter's actually seemed disappionted when you refuse the offer of a drink. I think the service at this hotel more than off sets the dated rooms.

I would recommend the upgrade to the Golden Club. The best advantage is the use of the Golden Club pool. If you want to squeeze in to the noisey, cramped main pool then fill your boots but I much preferred the more spacious quieter environment on the Club pool. It has it's own bar and if you ask for bottled beer you will get the far superior BRAHMA beer....nice.
Take your own thermo cups or you will be drinking out of flimsy plastic things......even in the evening in the lobby bar! They have some glass but it is limited.....you need to ask for it at the bar.

Entertainment; From a personal point of view, it is the usual captive audience orientated crap, however the Canadians seem to love it.

Bars; OK. Not too much of a queue at any of them at any time. Slushies and rum/vodka passable in the heat but I stuck with the lager. Gagging for a real ale or Guinness.....I wish I could find an All Inclusive that served Guinness!!

Gym; If you are thinking of using the CV equipment to burn off some of those calories, forget it. The bike and stepper are like something from the 60s. There is a reasonable amount of resistance kit but even that it old and falling apart.

Internet; If you take a WIFI enabled device you will be able to use it in reception, lobby bar and Club pool bar. It went down for 3 days whilst I was there but was fast enough for Skype when it worked. If you don't take a computer then Club guests have limited access to computers in the Club Reception.

Overall not bad for the dosh. However, unless you you are under 25 and want to party ALL THE TIME avoid during Spring Break.....it will be crawling with ignorant drunk idiots.
PS I haven't got a downer on all Canadians, I met some quite nice ones but I just happens that all the ignoramouses I met fell into this catagory.

6 Thank monster4459
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

We loved our stay it was simply amazing the food was great! We got a waiter that we tipped 20$ for 3 consecutive nights at the buffet and he would hand us a 2 l filled wine when the buffet closed! You must try the ocean world swimming with the dolphins however be careful we got pulled into a timeshare thing they offered us a free gift don't get pulled into that what they will give you is an empty bottle of mamarjuana.
The hotel itself is super clean however very far from everything (activities ) if you plan activities you are 1h 30 min away by bus so if you don't like wasting your time traveling in a bus you might want to choose a different resort.
The beach is nice but there are not the nicest if you are looking for clear watter you will be dissapointed.
Entertainment was excellent and club is opened until 2;30 am.
Food was great and no one got sick
You must try the Mediterranean restaurant it was the best!
I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank domcholette
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

Just returned last night from 1 week at the Bahai Principe San jan.. HAD A WONDERFUL TIME !!! Is it perfect.. no.. but please people be reasonable. For $800 we were flown to the D.R. .. Had a pefectly acceptable room for a week.. 3 buffet meals a day (some food good.. some not good so but I didn't starve and I didn't get sick).. Drank more booze than I should have and got to laze and walk on a wonderful beach.. go swimming.. and more. I really think the value for money is outstanding. People who don't get that travel is an adventure with its ups and downs should just stay home.

1 Thank DrewLikesSun
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

The rooms are a little bit dated, but for the price we paid, it was a great trip. You don't have to bring your own bottled water, as they supply you each day with beer, pop and water. I didn't have a good sleep in the bed, but at least the room was air conditioned and it worked VERY WELL. The rooms have patios, which is nice.
The service was EXCELLENT, you see the same servers each day, and the social hosts were also great, always planning stuff for you to do. The staff throughout the hotel was always very helpful and ready to assist. I recommend bringing some tip money, as you will find that when you tip, the same person will always make sure you're taken care of.
The beach isn't the greatest, but that's something to expect when you go to that side of the island. I went in January, so expect to get ALOT of sand flea bites when you sit on the beach. The pool is definitely the place to go during the day if you want to cool off and not get many bug bites.
You have to pay extra for the safe, that's something I wish was included but it's under $30 USD for a week.
The last thing is the food - it was awesome! The buffet carries alot of the same stuff each day but it's still really good. They have a few restaurants you can book as well, the best one is the TEX MEX.
I would recommend this resort as a whole - overall it was really good, it was my first time going all inclusive and it has made me want to experience it again and again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

Flatters to deceive. All the rooms are the same on site. An upgrade means slippers and bath towel and a coffee maker that blows the electrics.
Internet facilities for the entire hotel are poorer than l enjoy at home.
We stayed 2 weeks and wanted to go home on day 1. Never unpacked, never had a hot meal and very repetive. Tour company Thomson were a disaster.
Staff try hard to correct but its like rearraging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

3 Thank forveron
Occidental Caribe
Occidental Caribe
#63 of 110 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,430 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe San Juan? Share your experiences!