“Nice Spot”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rio San Juan
St. John's, Canada
“Nice Spot”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to Bahia Principe San Juan the last week in February. Two other couples traveled with us. We had a really great time there. The resort is fairly big, with 941 rooms, and about a kilometer in length. There are golfcart-like vehicles that are always available to bring visitors to and from amenities. You can either take your chances on the walkways or give the front desk a call to get picked up.

We went with Air Transat, which placed us in the Golden Club section, but when we arrived, there were no rooms available and we were upgraded to the Diamond Club. The Diamond Club section has free internet, their own pool and a great buffet. We all found this buffet better than the main one as there were less people there, nicer things to eat, had its own bar and was closer to the beach. But strangely, the wait service was prompter in the bigger restaurant.

POSITIVES: One of the nicest things about his resort was the excellent service. Everyone was on the ball and most people seemed genuinely happy to help out at any time. The grounds of the resort were very well kept and the pathways and beach always cleared of debris.

NEGATIVES: The worst thing was the smell of sewer over the entire resort. The only way to escape it was to head to the beach. The one thing that I was most looking forward to was the hopes of viewing tropical fish while swimming. This was not a good place to see that. While I did see some interesting sea life, the water was not as clear as I had hoped and our underwater camera pictures did not turn out great. When it was windy, it was really difficult to see the ocean’s bottom at all.

TOURS: We did book a snorkeling trip with Tip Top Catamaran Tours which allowed us to swim with bright tropical fish. We thought this was great! If I were going to do it again, I would go down the beach and book with Campo tours. Apparently, the same type of tour was a lot cheaper with them!

HOTEL ROOM: The hotel room was outdated and smelled a little dank, but was clean and our maid was very, very thorough. Our sheets were changed every second day and 2 1.5l of water, 1 Sprite and 1 Coke were always available in our minibar. One day, we didn’t receive any drinks so I called the front desk. We had service within 2 minutes and as soon as the guy left, we had a call from the front desk asking if we had received what we had asked for! I have read in other reviews that the pillows were lumpy, and it’s true! So, if you are fussy about what you sleep on, bring your own. I was also using one of the room robes, until I noticed how dirty it was around the neckline…

There is a marketplace just along the beach a little way. This is a good place to get bargains, but beware!- the workers there are very aggressive! It was my first experience with anything of the kind. They try to get you into their little shops and once there, pressure you to buy something from them. For the most part, all of these shops sell the same things. They all work for the same company but are competing with each other for commission. Bartering is the name of the game and they will ask for double or triple what the items are really worth. There is also another shop across the bridge. I bought a bottle of vanilla here, but when I got it home, found that the seal had been tampered with and the vanilla watered down. I had already bought another bottle of vanilla from another shop, and this one was not tampered with.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Services Department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on our Tripadvisor community regarding your experience in our hotel. In Bahía Príncipe San Juan, we put a greatest interest on our client’s opinions.

It is truly a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed some of our services and facilities as well as you appreciated the attention of some of our staff member.

We are very sorry to hear that the beach could not fulfil your expectations. We also send your observations to the shops owner as most of them are autonomous and managed by external companies. Once again, we thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. We sincerely would love to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Bahia Principe San Juan to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe San Juan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

The best holiday in my life. Everything perfect - food, people, whether and animation time ( Alex is the best - ....I love my job - woow.....) Thank for everyone. ...
Pool very clean and warm. Beach nice. Andre and Bozo

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrzej G
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday’s destination and also for taking time to share with another travellers your experience with us.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises. We are so happy that you have enjoyed all our services and facilities during your stay with us. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. We are delighted to share your comments with all of them. Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to receive such wonderful comments and I know that it will be very helpful for other clients who are thinking to stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcome you once again in our hotel and have the opportunity to continue providing the most memorable experiences.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Puerto Plata.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We have been to Bahia Principe hotels in Jamaica, Punta Cana, Mexican Riviera, and now Puerto Plata. We realize that the star rating was 3-1/2 to 4 star depending on where you looked.
We would rate it closer to 3-1/2 than 4. We booked a Golden upgrade room through Air Transat and we would recommend it as the rooms are very close to the ocean and there is a smaller private pool to use. The trip to the hotel is at least one hour and longer for us as it was their
Easter celebration and all of the small towns were crowded with parties. The location of our room was excellent and we had a beautiful ocean view. The room was clean and the maids did a great job. We found out that the hotel is being closed for six months for a major renovation and it was evident that the renovations were necessary. Most of the staff were being laid off and understandably upset, which was reflected in their moods and service. The food was comparable to Cuba, which was a disappointment from the meals in Punta Cana. There was always something to eat but very limited selection and repetitive in the buffet. The a la carte
restaurants were definitely worth going to. Only one restaurant was air-conditioned and it was
one of the a la carte restaurants but it was closed most of the nights. Meal times were very hot and uncomfortable. Also the snack bar was closed, forcing people to eat at the buffet. The drinks were very watered down at the pool bars, so would recommend the lobby bar where the best drinks are made. The beach is brown sand with a long stretch of beach. The water is cloudy along the shoreline and it is a gradual, mostly calm incline. It was a good beach for swimming, although the sand bags in the water detracted from the sea view. Overall the trip was OK for the price paid. Would never go back to this hotel mainly because of its location - very isolated.

Room Tip: Book Golden upgrade to get rooms closest to the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bear047
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to hear that the beach could not fulfil your expectations. Once again, we thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. We sincerely would love to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Bahia Principe San Juan to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Dominican Republic.

Barrie, Ontario
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Was at the Bahia Principe April 1 - 8, 2014. My first all inclusive, and first trip to Dominican I was not sure what to expect - I had a clean slate. Some reviews made me nervous but I can say that although a little repetitive the food was good, the rooms were clean enough, the grounds were well kept, and the staff were always friendly. The reviews don't lie about the beach, it's not post card worthy and the water was very rough while we were there. The pools (main, and smaller) were great, most likely due to the fact that the resort must have been at very low capacity and we had no issues finding seats - in fact there were usually 80% open. Some areas for improvement (and I understand the resort is closing down for upgrades & renovations) would be: improving ala carts (all), keeping main bars open later, and a very important need to address is to keep the main pathway lights on all night. I noticed they were off at around 1 or 2 am, so on the night you wander up the road to the bars be prepared to make your way back to your room in complete darkness - obviously a major safety concern. Hopefully post renovations they'll have addressed all areas that need improvement....otherwise it's still a good vacation - because of course it's mostly about what you make of it.

Room Tip: Try to stay closer to the lobby, at night when all closes down it's best to not have to wander t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank evarett
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Services Department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Dominican Republic.

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014

travelled with my son sister and her two boys in april 14 had such a great time relaxing by the smaller pool with lovely staff and some of the best people we have ever meet on our travels, all meals were very good with lots of choice, the la cartes were also very good . the only little change i would make is a little more entertainment ie music singers in evenings aimed at people with no children or older children but that is my personally opinion. rooms cleaned daily by well mannered staff, animation team all very friendly and welcoming
great holiday had by all would definatley go back
big hello to all the lovely people we meet x

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank kerry2166
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen our Hotel as your holiday destination and also for taking the time to share your comments with our Trip Advisor community regarding the experiences you had during your stay in our Resort.

We are very proud to have received your comments regarding our services and facilities. We would like you to mention that this kind of review help us to improve and raise our service.

Once more, thank you for your valuable comments. In Bahia Principe San Juan we have very clear that only by listening carefully to the comments of our guests we are able to assess and evaluate our performance. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to serve you again here at Bahia Principe San Juan or at any of our Hotels Bahia Principe in a near future.

In a further visit, please do not hesitate on contacting us.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Puerto Plata.

Kind regards,

wigan
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Only decided to go two days before holiday started and I am glad I did. I really needed a good holiday and I can honestly say this is what I had. Arrived at the airport to find my name wasn't down on the transfer list, after about 10 minutes I was allowed on the coach, on arrival at the hotel my room wasn't ready but one was made available to me within 45 minutes, no big deal as I had only booked on the last minute. Miguel the holiday rep always made a point of saying hello to me and asking how everything was, if needed, which I didn't I found him to be very approachable. I used the same table for my breakfast and lunch and was made to feel very comfortable by my waiter, Raphael, who always made me 2 big mugs of tea each morning, he even tracked my mug down when it went missing during the busy Easter weekend. The food was excellent, lots of variety and I had no problems at all and was never ill. For the first few days I used the swim up pool, then later moved to the smaller pool when the locals arrived for there Easter break and I found it too busy. Rosanna and Gregoria and the pool attendants around the smaller pool were really friendly and helpful and are a credit to the hotel. You always had a lovely smile from Wainey in the rock bar. The only downside for me personally, but is not a criticism is the entertainment, which is geared towards children, teens and young families, I would have loved live musicians and singers on the main stage rather than shows with dancers dancing to recordings. I enjoyed the rock bar, even went up a couple of times on my own and was grateful for some good singers, and some entertaining singers up there, always a good laugh and I felt totally safe walking back alone in the early hours, security was always visible. Thank you Bahia Principe for a lovely, lazy,relaxing, enjoyable, safe holiday and all the best for when you reopen after the refurbishment xx

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank bobby095
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Services Department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

In a further visit, please do not hesitate on contacting us.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Puerto Plata.

Kind regards,

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We had a great time at this hotel! There was great entertainment and the drinks and food were good. Rooms were clean and we had no issues. Good shopping and great staff! Although the beach doesn't have white sand like others I have been to it was still a great time had by all. The pools were clean and many pool chairs available. I would return to this resort we had a very good experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TaR R
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Services Department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Puerto Plata.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio San Juan
#2 of 39 in Puerto Plata
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 39 in Puerto Plata

Been to Grand Bahia Principe San Juan? Share your experiences!