My boyfriend and I went to Bahia Principe San Juan the last week in February. Two other couples traveled with us. We had a really great time there. The resort is fairly big, with 941 rooms, and about a kilometer in length. There are golfcart-like vehicles that are always available to bring visitors to and from amenities. You can either take your chances on the walkways or give the front desk a call to get picked up.
We went with Air Transat, which placed us in the Golden Club section, but when we arrived, there were no rooms available and we were upgraded to the Diamond Club. The Diamond Club section has free internet, their own pool and a great buffet. We all found this buffet better than the main one as there were less people there, nicer things to eat, had its own bar and was closer to the beach. But strangely, the wait service was prompter in the bigger restaurant.
POSITIVES: One of the nicest things about his resort was the excellent service. Everyone was on the ball and most people seemed genuinely happy to help out at any time. The grounds of the resort were very well kept and the pathways and beach always cleared of debris.
NEGATIVES: The worst thing was the smell of sewer over the entire resort. The only way to escape it was to head to the beach. The one thing that I was most looking forward to was the hopes of viewing tropical fish while swimming. This was not a good place to see that. While I did see some interesting sea life, the water was not as clear as I had hoped and our underwater camera pictures did not turn out great. When it was windy, it was really difficult to see the ocean’s bottom at all.
TOURS: We did book a snorkeling trip with Tip Top Catamaran Tours which allowed us to swim with bright tropical fish. We thought this was great! If I were going to do it again, I would go down the beach and book with Campo tours. Apparently, the same type of tour was a lot cheaper with them!
HOTEL ROOM: The hotel room was outdated and smelled a little dank, but was clean and our maid was very, very thorough. Our sheets were changed every second day and 2 1.5l of water, 1 Sprite and 1 Coke were always available in our minibar. One day, we didn’t receive any drinks so I called the front desk. We had service within 2 minutes and as soon as the guy left, we had a call from the front desk asking if we had received what we had asked for! I have read in other reviews that the pillows were lumpy, and it’s true! So, if you are fussy about what you sleep on, bring your own. I was also using one of the room robes, until I noticed how dirty it was around the neckline…
There is a marketplace just along the beach a little way. This is a good place to get bargains, but beware!- the workers there are very aggressive! It was my first experience with anything of the kind. They try to get you into their little shops and once there, pressure you to buy something from them. For the most part, all of these shops sell the same things. They all work for the same company but are competing with each other for commission. Bartering is the name of the game and they will ask for double or triple what the items are really worth. There is also another shop across the bridge. I bought a bottle of vanilla here, but when I got it home, found that the seal had been tampered with and the vanilla watered down. I had already bought another bottle of vanilla from another shop, and this one was not tampered with.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 4 pools BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, mini golf, football pitch... Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (24 hour free per day/device) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo Main restaurant and 3 specialty restaurants 6 bars Playa Grande Golf Course just 40 minutes from the hotel Convention / Meeting centre Pueblo Principe: shows, live music, bars, stores, karaoke, casino and disco Rooms 608 rooms including 2 types: Suite & Standard The Standard rooms are equipped with: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom: Bathtub plus shower, wash basin, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ceiling fan Safe (additional charge) Mini-bar (Restocked daily) Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen TV Coffee set WiFi (additional charge) The Suite rooms have the same equipment as the Standard rooms but also include: Ironing set Sitting area with sofa Pool towel available in room Bathrobe and slippers Evening turn-down service International newspapers Terrace or balcony Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service for children aged up to 12 (additional charge) Other Services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BP USA TRAVEL INC, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, TravelUp, Cancelon, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Juan Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe San Juan Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe San Juan Dominican Republic
- Dominican Republic Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe San Juan Resort
- Bahia Principe Sj
- Puerto Plata Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Resort San Juan