“Great time” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rio San Juan
Halifax, Canada
“Great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

We had a great time at this hotel! There was great entertainment and the drinks and food were good. Rooms were clean and we had no issues. Good shopping and great staff! Although the beach doesn't have white sand like others I have been to it was still a great time had by all. The pools were clean and many pool chairs available. I would return to this resort we had a very good experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TaR R
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Services Department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday’s destination and also for taking time to share with another travellers your experience with us.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises. We are so happy that you have enjoyed all our services and facilities during your stay with us. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. We are delighted to share your comments with all of them. Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to receive such wonderful comments and I know that it will be very helpful for other clients who are thinking to stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcome you once again in our hotel and have the opportunity to continue providing the most memorable experiences.

Bahia Principe San Juan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

We wanted to try something different because we frequent the east coast of the island, punta Cana, babaro area simply the best tourist area and the best beaches, when we arrive to the hotel everything seen to fine friendly staff at the front, then we have to take the train or the shuttle car to the main desk to confirm that we book the hotel then take the train back to the front of the hotel were you leave your vehicle park and take the luggage to the train and them you go after 45 minutes latter we are on our way to the room, but getting closer to the area the driver of the train or shuttle miss judge the speed and turn faster that what we were expecting, we were sitting on the side of the train or car there was not a safety handle bar in front of us, my fiancée simply flew out of the train I almost felt to but a Manage to grab the bar on my back try to hold her as we'll but I was to late, she hit the concrete with the back of her head, my fiancée was in pain and panic at the same time we toke her to the (clinic) in the hotel the lady nurse there was a bit mean then after asking few question she injected some medicine and told us that we have to go to the nearness hospital to get X-ray to make sure that there was not further damage cause by the fall, one of the manager staff drove us in the shuttle van of the hotel to the nearest town 45 min away, by that time my fiancée past out and did not respond to my calling or anything by the time of the X-ray she was out completely I Carrie her to the room and out of the room, to make it worse the staff of that clinic didn't wanted help because she was is bad shape and they didn't want part of it, so we needed to drive another hour to the closes hospital in nagua to get better attention so then the manager of the hotel simply told me that he can't drive me there because it was to far for him, I told him drive me back to the hotel so I can pick up my car then, she was out for about 2 hours by that time, I drove her back to nagua to the hospital and then she got the proper attention that she needed, luckily the doctor a the hospital told us that she was fine but that couldn't be worse, why I ask, simply because the nurse at the hotel clinic injected a sedation to calm her down I'm not a doctor but when someone get hit on the head you not supposed to put it into sleep I just can believe that she did that, in the middle of the situation I forgot her phone in the shuttle van the we were transported first to the clinic and I said to myself I get it when We get back to the hotel, but there was not phone and the manager confirm that he was the last person to drive the van so from there I don't know if he kept the phone or somebody grab it, I try to located the phone with the find my phone app from Apple but the phone was already of by that time, all I knew at that time Was we were exhausted of all and it was midnight at the moment and we just needed food because we did not eat anything and we needed to rest, only thing open was the snack bar that was pretty bad food but we have to eat it, the food over all was terrible,the service terrible, the hotel was a horrible experience over all, no one from the management call us or give us any kind of excused of what happen or investigate what happen the driver was working normally like nothing happen or like we were animals that fall out of a car and I just keep on moving, To make this worse I was born a raise in the Dominican Republic, now I'm us citizen and I live in the US and come to visit my home country and this is my history, this hotel is not at resort type of standard is simply below 2 start of my experience the best hotels are in the east coast of the country punta Cana, babaro, there you will find the luxury of a 4-5 start resort.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Cristian B
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Services Department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort to give the proper attention.

We fully understand that you are a person with a great experience in all inclusive Hotels and we are truly sorry that we could not fulfil your expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to receive you again in one of the hotels of our chain to be able to offer you a more agreeable experience, especially either of one of our Gran Bahia branch or Luxury Don Pablo Collection, which are a superior category and offer you an even more exclusive service and superior rooms.

Warm regards,

kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed her for 2 weeks, we had an amazing time. The food was fresh, well presented and very tasty. The entertainment was so funny, almost every night I laughed till my face hurt. The serving staff are great especially Eddie, Rafael and Raul :) the kids club kept the kids entertained, the beech is very clean and the locals that we met were very friendly. Overall a great holiday and we would go back in a heartbeat. Myself my husband and our son (9) and daughter (6) were sad to be leaving. My son and daughter especially liked Alexis on the animation team. Thank you to all the staff and management at the Bahia Príncipe San Juan.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Services Department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, April 23, 2014

Central NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Let me start out by letting you know that this is our 5th trip to the DR, 3x in Punta Cana, and 1x in Samana.. this was a last minute decision, and looking for a deal we decided to stay in Puerto Plata where prices where better. We chose the Bahia San Juan because we have had positive experience with that chain in Samana and also Punta Cana. I was a little nervous because the resort only had a 3.5 star review, but after reading others, figured it would live up to the Bahia name... and it certainly did! Our room (although smaller) than we've had in past Bahia resorts, was perfectly fine in size and the bed was comfortable and clean. The room a little run down, certainly met all our needs and because we paid a bit extra for the Golden, we had the first building nearest the buffet and pool. We also had a bottle rum, free safe, t-shirts, coffee maker, alarm clock and mini bar. We had no issues with air conditioning or hot water as others have had. Our room was promptly cleaned each morning soon after we left.

The grounds and pools of this hotel were STUNNING, and really made for the overall experience. The resort has three rows of buildings lined up parallel with the beach. It's quite expansive and well laid out and manicured so that all the buildings and grounds are quite pretty to walk around. When we first arrived, only one side of the resort was being filled due to low occupancy. There are a total of 4 pools - one huge main with a swim up bar located directly between the lobby and the beach and the main buffet. Very convenient. There is another on the East side of the resort situated in front of the beach too. On the west side of the resort there where two other pools, but they were not being used during our stay and didn't have drink services near them. I'm sure at busier times they do utilize these pools. Our only complaint about the pools was the fact that during our stay 2x someone had an accident mid day in the pool that resulted in the main pool being shut down! That isn't necessarily the hotels fault, and because it was low occupancy, wasn't a huge deal, but I felt the hotel could do more to enforce the use of swim up diapers on little ones. I spoke with the manger and suggested that they make that policy. I then later found that it was policy - at least on the sign near the pool, but they didn't seem to want to enforce it. So if you go to a public pool with babies or toddlers - PLEASE BRING SWIM DIAPERS FOR THE SAKE OF THE OTHERS IN THE POOL!

We had no issues with the food at the buffet - there was plenty to offer and a decent expected variety. Not quite as elaborate as some of the 5 star sister properties, but I certainly didn't go hungry. The Mediterranean restaurant is by far the best of the ala cartes.. followed by the Italian. We ate at the buffet after eating at the Mexican, as we didn't find that very good at all. Again the menu choices fit that of a 4 star, not a 5 star.

The beach was long, private and nice. It was lined with plenty of chairs and shade. We didn't use the ocean much as we are pool people. The water was ocean water, not Caribbean water as was the beach... a bit of shells / small rocks would wash to shore and the sand was darker than in the Punta Cana area.. but It by no means was terrible. We did venture out on a snorkeling excursion from the vendor at the beach which took us to another public beach for a while too. That was reasonable at $140 for two adults, two kids and the sand / water area was much more blue and softer sand. It was a nice boat ride and snorkel excursion as well.

We love going to the Dominican, you can't beat the quality and service you get for the price. I would definitely consider staying at this resort again. They are shutting down at the end of April (as apparently they do each summer during low season) but they claim this summer to be making some improvements and renovations to some of the rooms. They plan to turn the resort into a Gran Bahia, not just a Bahia.

Only thing I would have changed had I known, was I would have booked my vacation to not be at the resort on the Friday before Easter. I love the Dominican people, however, the resort went from 25% occupied to about 125% occupied, swelling with large families with lots of children. The tradition in the Dominican is to spend the 5 days that the country shuts down for the Easter holiday at beaches or resorts.. so Thursday night it became unbelievably packed! The buffet lines swelled and the pool was a mad house of children. It only affected 1 day of our vacation, but if I had to deal with those crowds for much longer it would have ruined the relaxation part of the vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank sheerer
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen our Hotel as your holiday destination and also for taking the time to share your comments with our Trip Advisor community regarding the experiences you had during your stay in our Resort.

We are very proud to have received your comments regarding our services and facilities. We would like you to mention that this kind of review help us to improve and raise our service.

We regret so much if there was any inconvenience with the pool, but as you know it was out of ours hand and we proceeded with the standards set. Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded to the Hotel Management in order to be evaluated and try to take the appropriated measure in this case.

Once more, thank you for your valuable comments. In Bahia Principe San Juan we have very clear that only by listening carefully to the comments of our guests we are able to assess and evaluate our performance. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to serve you again here at Bahia Principe San Juan or at any of our Hotels Bahia Principe in a near future.

In a further visit, please do not hesitate on contacting us.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Puerto Plata.

Kind regards,

Truro, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

My fiancé and I travelled to this resort on April 12 - 19. We had been there before so we knew what to expect, but I have to say that the staff certainly exceeded our expectations. My fiancé had mobility issues and the staff went above and beyond what we expected. They were just a phone call away for pick up and delivery to and from our destinations within the resort.
We stayed in the Golden Club - the rooms were very nice and the location was great. We could see the pool, beach bar, beach and gazebo from our deck.
The resort was extremely quiet on this particular week so we had no problem finding a seat anywhere we went. Good Friday - the local people came to the resort and things got busier, but we were still able to find seats.
The beach was long - great for walking and although the sand isn't white - we were able to go swimming every day.
We didn't partake in any nightly entertainment, but did spend some time in the lobby. Staff there were also very friendly and accommodating.
The only complaint I do have is that we like the Presidente beer and it was very difficult to find on this resort. The drinks were also different every time you got one, but that's par for the course everywhere you go.
The service from ALL the staff far outweighs any small issues we may have encountered and for that reason alone, I would certainly not hesitate to return to this resort.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We regret so much if there was any inconvenience with the beer. Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded to the Hotel Management in order to be evaluated and try to take the appropriated measure in this case.

In a further visit, please do not hesitate on contacting us.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Puerto Plata.

Kind regards,

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed 4 days in this beautiful place which were very relaxing and also fun due to the animation team. The food was also very good. Great entertainment in the evenings. The garden in whih the hotel was located was extremely beautiful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Services Department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, April 21, 2014

Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

The rooms of this bahia principe may be in need of a bit of updating but they were clean and comfortable ( word has it there are going to be extensive renovations in the near future). The staff are amazing and the food excellent. Highly recommend and will return ourselves one day ....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on our Tripadvisor community regarding your experience in our hotel. In Bahía Príncipe San Juan, we put a greatest interest on our client’s opinions.

It is truly a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed some of our services and facilities as well as you appreciated the attention of some of our staff member.

We are very sorry to hear that the rooms could not fulfil your expectations. Once again, we thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. We sincerely would love to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Bahia Principe San Juan to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio San Juan
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#4 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,232 reviews
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Grand Bahia Principe San Juan? Share your experiences!