“Fantastic Vacation again!!!!”

Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rio San Juan
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Thank you Marta and your wonderful Staff again we had such a wonderful vacation. no wonder we keep coming back it was our eleventh time. We were at the resort from 27th March - 10th April it was very hard leaving you all
Bahia Principe San Juan is an amazing place I would recommend the resort. good food lots of laughs and excellent entertainment.
We will see you next year
Marge & Brian.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have nice views
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Services Department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday’s destination and also for taking time to share with another travellers your experience with us.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises. We are so happy that you have enjoyed all our services and facilities during your stay with us. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. We are delighted to share your comments with all of them. Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to receive such wonderful comments and I know that it will be very helpful for other clients who are thinking to stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcome you once again in our hotel and have the opportunity to continue providing the most memorable experiences.

Bahia Principe

There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe San Juan

Reviewed April 13, 2014

describing words incredible,amazing friendly ,clean,helpful,fantastic,helpful,family friendly,perfect,welcoming,beautiful,....................................food was delicious! i definitely recommend

Room Tip: email them first and they will treat you like royalty. ask for a room close to the lobby so you can...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Services Department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We just got back from four nights at this resort. I went with my teenage daughter. We had a lovely time including perfect weather. This is not the place to go if you want a thriving nightlife or brilliant excursions. It is quiet and secluded, which was great for us. I've read reviews where people said the beach was not great because the sand is not white (it isn't) and the water is not clear (it is, other than the first foot or so from the beach where there is some sand and sediment churned up by the waves, but it is not dirty or murky by any means). I got a great deal on this trip (under $650 each for 4 nights) so overall I feel I got excellent value.

Pros: Beach is long and beautiful
Room was clean
Staff are friendly
Resort was clean and well maintained
A la carte meals were good (we went to Italian and Mediterranean)
All rooms are close to the beach compared to other resorts in D.R.
No problems getting towels or beach loungers as the resort was not full
Transfer to the airport was in a small air conditioned van/ bus, host was friendly and gave us some info about D.R. during the drive

Mixed: Food was just so-so, not always hot enough and not a big selection, but we could always find something to eat
Check in was fast and we were seated, but rooms were assigned before our arrival so I had no say as to location, preferences

Cons: AC was loud in our room, woke me up several times in the night
Shower/ tub drain was slow
There was some drama in our building with guests who fought at all hours of the day and night, not the hotel's fault
It is a long drive to and from the airport and for excursions
Our transfer back to the airport (Westjet/ Hola) was in a small van with poor AC - some people felt sick after the ride
There is no snorkeling to speak of

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Cservicebpsj, Quality -6 Customer Services Department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort. We are very proud to have received your good comments regarding your stay with us.

We hope to have you back in the near future at Bahía Príncipe San Juan and I take the opportunity to send a very warm greeting.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Dominican Republic.

Kind Regard,

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed April- 4th to April 11th.
For my wife and me if we had any thing bad to say it would be that the food became humdrum fast ,breakfast and lunch's were great, we did indulge in the All le carte restaurants , the Mediterranean cuisine was the best, we ate there 2 times, the steak and mushroom was very good, ate that both times, they do offer Lobster but it has to be pre ordered/paid ,we missed this tho. The beach line was out standing and gave way to very nice beach walks any time of the day, there are venders on each end of the beach, the pool was outstanding as well along with the pool bar, the staff have plenty of activity's all the time nite and day, with wave breaks the surf is fairly calm and makes for great swimming in the Ocean. Topless sunbathing is for the beach line tho as my wife loves to sunbath topless while on vac. the staff kept the rooms very clean and stocked every day, staff took care of all out needs, the day trips we took gave very good insight to the local living , there is a number of nice venders on the resort that are not part of the hard sell so that was nice for gift shopping, nice small casino that opens at 8:00 pm, other nice thing is we are from the US and using US funds was not a problem at all. The beds to us were a bit hard for sleeping at first. over all I Highly recommended this resort to anyone think of the a DR trip.

Room Tip: the resort has a gold upgrade that included Wi-Fi/internet use/robs/coffee in room/slippers.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We stayed at the resort from 17. to 30.March 2014. What an amazing place. One of our best hollidays ever. Thanks to the staff at Bahia Principe, San Juan for your kindnes and effort to make us feel welcome. Everyone in the staff worked hard all day to please the guests. Perfect location near the beach. The apartments where somewhat out dated and it was really listening between apartments. You could hear all doors closing through the nights. Maybe this will be better after the renovation of the place. The Gym was very old-fashioned and must be better. When I ordered the trip through the travelcompany I had som wishes. None of the wishes were taken into account. I spent time trying to get what we want. This could have been taken into consideration before we arrived. When we arrieved at the airport, evryting where well organized. We got the room key on the bus. Food where excellent. The waiters did their utmost to satisfy us. The Mediteranien restaurant was very good. Because of your kindnes and bright smiles we look forward to return soon. Keep up with the good work. Greetings from room 1419.

Room Tip: I will recomend apartments on the top floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on our Tripadvisor community regarding your experience in our hotel.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed some of our services and facilities as well as you appreciated the friendliness of our staff; we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve the continuous improvement of our services.

We sincerely would love to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Bahia Principe San Juan to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Puerto Plata.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Our group of three (one adult and 2 teenagers ages 14 and 17) spent March Break at the San Juan Bahia Principe, Dominican.

Arrival and Check-in
We flew from Toronto to Samana with Air Transat and chose to spend the extra on the Golden Club . We were a little worried about flying into Samana because of the distance from the resort but it turns out that it is only about 1 hour and 45 minutes from the airport to the resort (we thought it was further). We actually got to see a bit of Dominican on the drive and a fair amount of the drive is along the ocean. They did stop half way at a gas station in case anyone needed to use the bathroom and you could also purchase a drink. I was surprised to have to pay $6 (U.S.) for 3 cokes. I think a nice touch would have been to offer a drink to each passenger as they got on the bus—would have been a simple but nice addition.
Check-in was horrible. We were kind of just dumped and on our own. No Air Transat Rep around. I was disappointed because I heard that check-in was done on the bus to save time—no such luck in our case. It took them more than 20 minutes to check each family/couple in. After waiting 40 minutes, we found out that there was another building for the Golden Club to register. The guy at the front desk wouldn’t check us in. Instead he escorted us over to the Golden Club building and we had to wait again. We did eventually get checked in and it was quite smooth once we finally were served. The hotel has a tram that you can hop on to get a ride to rooms so we used it since we had our luggage. I returned to the Golden Club the next day and booked all of our a la carte dinners at once, quite effortlessly so that was nice.

The room.
We requested a room on the second floor in Section E with an ocean view. We ended up in section E3 on the bottom floor. We had an ocean view and a nice little balcony. The rooms are definitely clean and have adequate space…nothing special but fine. We had a king size bed and a cot. The safety deposit box was included because of the Golden Club. We also had a mini fridge which was restocked daily with 3 pop, 2 beer and a big bottle of water. No Wi-Fi in the room. You have to go to the front reception area for it and you get one hour free per device per day. Section E is nicely located. Close enough to everything but away from the noise. I believe it is reserved for the Golden Club. Just down the pathway from the room is the Golden Club pool which we enjoyed most days. It was a much quieter pool with bar service. It is my ideal type of pool because it overlooks the ocean.

Food.
It was okay. It isn’t something I would rave about but we certainly didn’t starve. The buffet was very repetitive—very little change from day-to-day.
Breakfast – Buffet option only. They did have bacon most mornings (a must have for my daughter), an omelette bar but I found they were never cooked through, and they blend fresh smoothies and juice each morning but no special orders…just whatever they are making. There is a fair amount of variety. I was surprised that they didn’t have a whole lot of fruit (just the basics). Coffee isn’t bad but they only have milk (no cream!). They do have coffee machines, at the bar close to where you get towels, where you can get espresso, cappuccino and coffee (I think anytime). Lunch – Two options—buffet (doesn’t open until 1) or the snack shack just off the beach. Buffet at lunch is almost the same at lunch as it is at dinner. The snack shack is very basic (hamburgs, hotdogs, chicken and basic drinks). We ate there twice. Nice that it is really quick but food may or not be hot.
Dinner Four options – 3 a la cartes and the buffet. The Mediteranean is the only indoor restaurant which is nice because you don’t have to worry about “bites” and it is air conditioned. We ate there twice not because the food was awesome but because it was indoors. We had steak the first night and it was horrible. It had a horrible texture—like it had been marinated to death. Second time I had the pork. It was much better but nothing to rave about. The service was really great. We had a great time at the Mexican restaurant and we also liked their food the best. The atmosphere was great and the staff made it really fun. The Spanish coffee was quite good too. The Italian restaurant was also nice, food was okay and the service was really good. The buffet was incredibly repetitive with no outstanding choices. We didn’t starve but it was nothing to rave about. Our favourite saying was….”It wasn’t horrible!”
Bars – There were a number throughout the resort. Limited options overall (compared to other resorts) and even more limited at some of the bars. Most of their drinks are based on their “slushie” offerings—just add booze. Usually had to wait in line for a drink but not long. We did bring our own insulated cups which helped reduce trips to the bar and kept them cold. No chair service at pools.

Pools and Beach- We found three pools- one seemed to have few people at it. It was the Apollo Pool. We spent much of the week at the Golden Club pool. It was much quieter, always had chairs (sun and shade options), had an ocean view and its own bar (limited options but fine). You could also walk right down to the beach. The main pool always had lots going on at it. All the organized activities centre around it and you can also walk right down to the beach. My kids played lots of beach volleyball and did a few other activities. They used the kayaks (I believe they had 3) and the paddleboat (only had one). They had a windsurfer but to use it you first had to take a $45 lesson. Similar situation with the catamaran. It is always great to see and hear the beach. This beach isn’t the beautiful white sand and blue water but it is still nice. The barriers that appear not too far out in the water are definitely an eye sore but certainly don’t hurt anyone. Just as a note, the activities crew were good...my kids enjoyed hanging out with them.

Cons to the resort.
The resort is “okay”. It is dated and there are not any other hotels or “sites” close by. In fact, I didn’t feel that this part of Dominican really had any special things to see—no exciting excursions or places to venture out to see. I love to walk along the beach to get to town or to look at other hotels but you can’t do that at this resort because there is nothing around. They did have a little :”shopping complex” at the end of the resort but we didn’t buy anything. All the vendors had the same stuff and nothing we were interested in. There really wasn’t a lot for my teenagers to do at night after dinner. We did go to the shows but it was really just the same thing every night—dancing and really bad lip sinking. We did finally find some pool tables but they are outside, removed from the “action” and they close at 9. They do have a disco on the street in front of the resort (still part of the resort) but you have to be 18 to go to it. We also came home covered in bites (which were incredibly itchy) and I know a lot of other people we talked to did as well. I never saw a mosquito so we are still not positive what kind of bites we had—sand fleas, noseeums or bed bugs??? I did do some research when we got home on bed bugs and am thinking that might be what we had. Now that is disgusting!! The hotel also hosts the “S-Trip” groups. What this means is that you have huge groups of graduating high school students partying all week long. They were really loud, drunk throughout the day and night, horrible language, etc. The group just seemed to be a “disconnect” with the resort and makes me think that they were desperate to get their resort filled.
Would I return…No as there are so many prettier places to visit but it did provide us with a warm get-a-way for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Section E was great for us--I believe it is the Golden Club section.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us on Trip Advisor which we will take in the highest consideration.

Regarding your comments we are very sorry to hear that we could not fulfil your expectations regarding our services and facilities, we must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning our hotel, services and facilities has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our surveys.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the matters the proper attention.

We sincerely would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Bahia Principe San Juan to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 10, 2014

For it's age this resort was amazing it is due to close down the first of May for some renovations when it re-opens all I can say is its going to be THE BEST!!! The rooms considering the age are in good shape the grounds are beautiful, the employees are out of this world mega friendly and animation team are amazing they all have a smile on their faces and work extremely hard the energy they have wowed me I will return to this resort next year for sure simply for the friendships we made with the animation teams these people are the reason a lot of people return, kudos to them special thanks to Juan,Alex (Wow I luv my job ) you will be sure to hear those worlds from him over n over again it puts a smile on everyone's face, Alexis,Julio & Yubely n there are more but I can't remember their names, Bahia Principe San Juan has the best staff I hope they hold onto them n don't loose them when they close to renovate.With all that being said we did have one major complaint and so did a lot of other people, on the weekends they allow the locals( mostly teenagers ) to stay at the resort we found they were very unfriendly and territorial if u look at one of them the wrong way they would think nothing to tell u they were not scared of u that made us very uncomfortable and I did find they would always get served first and I don't think it is fair for the people that pay $ 1000+ to be treated as second class when they are there I would like to see that change. But like I said the resort itself I give 2 thumbs up !!!! And can't wait to see the new renovated Bahia Principe San Juan !

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brenda H
Cservicebpsj, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Brenda,

#1 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana
Be Live Collection Punta Cana
Now Garden Punta Cana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe San Juan? Share your experiences!