“great trip, great hotel”

Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rio San Juan
Woodbridge, Canada
“great trip, great hotel”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

traveled as a couple and had a great time. I never write reviews but decided to write this one because i almost did not go to this hotel due to some negative reviews i read prior to choosing this hotel. We arrived Feb.24th and stayed until March 3rd. The weather was great only one day of rain. The check in was pretty quick and i found the front desk to be pretty helpful throughout our stay. The buffet food was delicious in contrary to what i had read on some reviews. There was plenty to choose from. The beach was great and the water was pretty clear and pretty shallow until long way in which is great since i am not a swimmer. Yes i did get bitten by sand flies so bring some spray. The vendors are there but it is up to you to let them know you are not interested. I was only approached once by one his name was Samuel and told him that I did not have money with me at the time and would go to his cabin when i was ready to buy that was it...no more. Entertainment fantastic staff all of them put so much time and effort...the shows are ok the best was the Michael Jackson. The rooms were always clean and mini bar refilled. The bed was quite comfortable. I want to give special thanks to Eddy and Marina they really stand out with a smile every day at the buffet....even though many people were not tipping i noticed. Give them a tip they deserve it. There is casino, disco and dancing on the street so no lack of entertainment. By the way I have traveled a lot on cruises
been at Dominican 4 times, Cuba, Mexico. Would not hesitate to go back to this hotel.
They have great programs for children...great place for family...

Room Tip: I was on bottom floor 2135 and found it close to everything
3 Thank HELENA B
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Service department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for writing some comments about your recent experience at Bahia Principe San Juan and on behalf of Hotel Management, we also thank you for your preference in selecting us as your holidays destination.

We feel much honoured to read that the kindness of our staff and the quality of our facilities and services has exceeded your expectations. In Bahia Principe San Juan, we are committed to ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests.

We are waiting for your next visit, please no dot forget to contact us in advance so we can ensure you another memorable holiday.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorst all inclusive hotels in Puerto Plata.

Kind regards,

Bahia Principe San Juan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This was a family trip for us: three siblings plus our partners and children. A few weeks before we left, we heard a terrible story about two women's experience there, and we started to see some bad reviews on this site. We considered cancelling our vacation. We decided not to, and are so happy that we stuck to it!

I cannot argue with someone else's experience, but ours was wonderful.

There is no hint of crime or dishonesty at the resort - either with staff or with fellow travellers. In fact, security is everywhere. One guard even stopped my brother-in-law from entering our door when we were not there - he had to prove that he was family! Although warned not to, we often left valuables out, and nothing was ever taken. In fact, I realized on our last day that our patio door had been open for the entire week! No one had entered uninvited.

The resort is beautiful. Landscaping is lovely, and they work on it endlessly. The same goes for cleanliness. The resort is older, and it does look as though it is - you need to expect some dated items like faucets, bathroom tiles, and décor, but it is incredibly clean, and still very charming. The complex is filled with people washing, sweeping, dusting, and mopping - inside and outside the buildings. The architecture is beautiful. My eight-year-old niece said it perfectly: "Here you get beautiful buildings AND the beauty of nature!"

The staff were beyond helpful. They really acted as though they could not do enough for you. It almost seemed like you only had to wish for something for it to appear. The only exception to that, for me, was the man who replenishes the rooms with water. For my other family members, he dropped off three or more bottles per day at their request. For me, it dwindled throughout the week, despite a generous tip from me, to one bottle! I had to buy some. I am not sure why this happened, but otherwise I had zero complaints. These people work extremely hard, and still manage to look and act cheerful and professional.

The food is varied and very safe to eat. The resort uses purified water for washing and cooking, so all fruits and veggies are safe to consume raw as well as cooked. The buffet restaurant has a wide variety of foods to choose from so most people can find something they like. For picky eaters like the children in our group, there is always pasta, pizza, French fries, and toast. Aside from the main buffet, the small café restaurant that is open off the beach has some great western foods for children or unadventurous adults - and you can enter it dripping wet and full of sand, which is a bonus! The other restaurants also serve yummy food and, again, in all of them the staff are attentive and patient.

The beach is very nice. No, it is not white sand. One of the artists on the resort explained to me that this beach is at the apex of four rivers, and so it gets all of the sediment that is washed downstream into the ocean. However, it did not really matter for us. We went on two excursions off the resort and those guides took us to white beaches, so we did experience them. The resort beach is clean, and there is tons of space to play either in the water or on the sand. There are also multitudes of grass huts and lounging chairs under palm trees and so there is always a place to relax in the shade (or in the sun, if you would rather).

On this site, many people mentioned sand-fleas as being a problem. We went at the end of February (their winter) and they were not an issue. On day, towards evening, I was bitten a few times, but they certainly did not cause my skin to swell up. I had three little red bites on my leg and then they disappeared. I decided it was my fault for not following the advice of a previous traveller and staying off the beach past four in the afternoon.

It is a great resort for family and older people, but it also appears to be good for groups of students and twenty-somethings. Everyone dresses up at night and there is entertainment for all lifestyles. After dinner, there is music in the lobby at the same time as there is a children's show in the theatre - followed by an adult show. My husband and I did not stay up later than 10:30, but others in our party did, and they shared that there is a street party every night down on "the strip" of the resort that holds bars, a casino, and shops. There is also karaoke . . .I think in the lobby. The bar seemed to be packed every night with beautiful men and women dancing and singing. The rooms are spread out over a huge space, and so some groups seemed to be able to party without disturbing families and couples.

The main pool is clean and lovely. There are also private pools if you choose to book a Gold-Star, or S-trip etc. vacation. If you like to play on your vacations, there is entertainment staff all day at the main pool encouraging people to join water games, learn to dance, or perform water aerobics. There is a gym but, despite my best intentions, I did not visit it. I did see many people running in the cool of the evening - there are lots of paved pathways as well as the beach to run on.

You do not have to stay on the resort. We booked through Air Transat, and they had many excursions to choose from. We chose a jeep trip (full day) that took us through the mountains and some small towns. We experienced lots of great things: a coffee plantation, a crystal-clear freshwater lake that is partially underneath a cave, and many other adventures. We also took an excursion offered by the hotel (booked in the area where you get your kayaks), and it was my favourite. We went on a speed boat to the coral reefs where we did some snorkeling, went through a mangrove forest, and to a beach that the locals use. We saw Stingrays and Barracudas, as well as birds and a pond filled with turtles. We fed fish that looked a lot like Sunfish but that the locals call "Monkey Fish" because they will eat bananas. The guides dove under the water and fed the spirals of fish while we snorkeled above and watched. It was like something off a National Geographic channel. It was only four hours and well worth the $45.00 American that we paid.

I am not certain what else others would like to know . . .the rooms were pretty as well as cool during day and night, and the water-pressure was okay. The air-conditioning worked. I personally do not travel to another country and expect it to be the same as home, so I was happy with the amenities, although someone else might wish it was more North American.

I want people to know that, as long as you do not expect it to look like a new complex, Bahia Principe San Juan is a lovely resort. In our experience it is safe, pretty, and very, very clean. In some ways, its age is part of its charm: everything is spread out among the land, rather than enclosed in one or two tall buildings. Again, the sand-fleas were not an issue.

Finally, we paid for standard rooms, but our brother and his family went with the Gold Star and they were not disappointed. They had a beautiful private pool and impeccable room service as well as other perks. The staff are amazing, and the grounds worthy of any resort. The beach is not white, but still nice (I recommend taking the time to explore the beach areas - there are lots of different kinds of spaces).

If you are considering it - GO! It is well worth the money.

Room Tip: We did not get to choose our rooms, and we ended up at the back of the resort. This meant that behi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Ann G
Dear Client,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Resorts as your holiday’s destination.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises especially because of the friendliness of our staff members. Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff.

We are looking forward to welcome you once again in our hotel and have the opportunity to continue providing the most memorable experiences. Please feel free to contact us whenever you are planning to return.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Best regards,

Umea, Sweden
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I will travel here again for sure.
Friendly staff and amazing food in the buffet and mexican resturant. Staff didn't know a lot of english, but they always smiled and waited on us. Very friendly. All of them.
I must say I do not understand why so many people complain on this place. If you expect a fancy new hotel in a european standard it is not what you get. But it is a wounderful resort, and the main reason for travelling there is to be out on the beach, in the pool or just relaxing.
I was a bit sceptic to the all inclusive before going, but I was suprised in a very positive way. A large variety of free drinks, a lot of bars, and the dinnerbuffe and breakfast had all you wished for and more. Fresh and delishious food.
The resort has all you look for, from quiet areas at the beach to more fun and activities by the main pool. So pretty much you choose what you want. It is a 1.5 hr busride from the airport, but worth it for sure. We came for to relaxation and sure got it!
The only thing that was a bit bad was some of the guests who became very loud and noisy, but that is nothing the resort is in control of. The staff do their best but sometimes I did feel like other guests were a bit rude to them.
There are guards patroling the area all hours and you always feel really safe.
You can leave things on the beach unattended and go for a walk and no one steals it.
This was truly worth every penny and we will for sure return here and I can really recommend you all to visit this resort. It was like a bit of paradise.

Room Tip: Further from reception area are more quiet.
1 Thank LeeMarielle
Dear Guest,

In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to thank you for choosing Bahia Principe San Juan for your holidays and for posting a review about your stay with us.

We would like to express you how satisfied we are to acknowledge your positive lines referring the hotel safety, the beauty of our beach, variety of our drinks, foods and the friendliness of our staff. In Bahia Principe San Juan we are committed with the customer satisfaction in order to provide the best service to our valuable costumers.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel. Please feel free to contact us before your arrival.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Puerto Plata.

With kindest regards,

London, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband, mom and dad and I arrived at BPRSJ on February 22 and stayed until March 1.
We had a great time, the weather was fabulous every day except Sunday morning (which was okay because we were hiding in the Karaoke bar watching the gold medal hockey game.

Overall, it was a good resort and we enjoyed our time. There are some things to note though:

Pros:

1. The food at the buffet was hot and tasty; there wasn't a lot of change to the dishes from night to night, but the buffet was large so there was still plenty to choose from.

They had a maître dee at all entries to the buffet to ensure you got a dab of hand sanitizer, which I thought was a great way to keep everyone healthy during the trip. Not one person I spoke with had an upset tummy from the food.

The 3 a la cartes were worth attending, so make sure you go to them. a nice change from the buffet. There was also a snack bar available if you missed a mealtime, and a late night snack bar in the main buffet if you needed something to eat after being out partying.

2. The grounds, buildings and the rooms were all kept immaculately clean. Workers were constantly tidying up the gardens and mopping floors etc. It is an old resort, and could look very shabby if they didn't take the great care they did.

3. The pool was a great place to meet people, and we never had any trouble finding a lounger.

4. There is plenty of entertainment on the resort, nightly shows, a karaoke bar, a casino, a dance club. Great way to chat with new folks.

5. The rooms were comfortable, no bed bugs, a firm bed but not uncomfortable, and the mini bar was well-stocked daily.

Cons:

1. We flew into Samana airport; and the bus drive to the resort was very long. I feel a lot of time was wasted both arriving and leaving, time that could have been spent enjoying the resort.

2. I noticed a lot of mosquitos in the area, and came home with more bites than souvenirs.

3. Check in was a NIGHTMARE. Instead of having us line up and go to the counter one by one, they sat us in a lobby area. Problem was the host was helping a bunch of people (Angelo I think), a little bit at once, and he was getting confused who he had talked to, checked in, etc. He wouldn't stay still and it was incredibly difficult to talk to him because his English was very poor. It took over an hour for 1/2 a bus of people. People were getting very annoyed.

4. The safe isn't free. It is 28 bucks to rent for the week and it is a key safe not a code safe. Makes you wary if someone else holds a key...they should get new safes and put them in EVERY room, included.

5. The beach is lovely, but don't expect a coral reef. You won't be able to see a lot of sea life at this resort. If that is important to you, go elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank FlyingBeavers
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to bring your comments during your stay with us as it is through communications of this nature that we can evaluate our level of service and improve our facilities on all aspects.

Once again, thank you so much for your review and we sincerely wish to welcome you again very soon to our Hotel Bahia Principe San Juan. We will be at your disposal for whatever you may need.

Kind regards,

Owen Sound, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Service at this resort was fantastic. From the front door bellhop, to check in , to the waiters and bartenders, we were greeted with smiles and promptness. The staff are what makes this resort so good. Constantly the hotel was being cleaned and groomed. The rooms were very clean and there were a wide variety of food to choose from. It is about 1hrs from the airport, but grab a cold beer or two from the airport and sit back and relax.

Room Tip: We really like the diamond room, close to everything but far enough away.
Dear Guest,

In the name of Hotel Management, we thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay with us and for your loyalty when choosing and recommend us as a holiday’s destination.

We want to express how honoured we feel to read your comments about our friendly staff and their excellent service, the clean of the rooms and the hotel areas, as well as the variety of our food which ensured you an unforgettable experience. As you well know, in Bahia Principe San Juan we are committed to ensure memorable experiences to our valuable costumers.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact us whenever you are planning to return.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Best regards,

Orillia, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is a very relaxing resort,very layed back and comfortable. Beautiful beach,very private,great staff very nice attmosphere.Their is a good selection for day trips if you want to explore,try the catamaran trip or the safari trip and see how the locals live.The spa was excellent very 4 star good price for what you recieve.The staff is very freindly and ready to assist in whatever you need.Shopping was good some real local choices. We have made several friends at the resort and have become to think of them as extended family,this is a safe environment for any age.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the end and definately on the top floor. This way no one is walking by your room at...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Service department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for writing a review about your experience among us. In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to express you how glad we are to read your positive valuation about our facilities and services. In Bahia Principe San Juan we aim to ensure our valuable costumers memorable experiences.

In case you decide to visit us once again, please feel free to contact us.

Warm regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2014

sadly not up to par like other Bahia Principes. If we had gotten this trip for $700-$850 tax inc we would of thought it was a great deal. Considering we paid over $1100 we were disappointed.

The beach near golden club has weeds you have to walk towards the the centre of the resort to get sandy bottom with no weeds. Water is not crystal blue but you can see thru it, slightly murky. Sand Fleas galore though bring bug spray. Plenty of lounge chairs, no need to get up early to reserve a spot. Beach vendors relentless! They wear shirts that say gift shop, so you confused at first thinking they work at the hotel, only to be brought to the strip of beach vendors that jump all over you trying to get you to buy things. They are always approaching you at the resort, on the beach, on the walk ways to the buffets. Not relaxing. Resort should not allow this, for us this was the most annoying thing especially when your lying on the beach only to be disturbed by vendors.

We were in the Golden Club area second level of the building, the entire time we had either no hot water or hot water and no water pressure. You had to stand under the shower for a long period of time as the stream of water was so faint. Took forever to shampoo your hair. We informed the front desk and their solution was only advising us they were "working on it". I asked to move to another room, i was denied. Front desk (all employees at the resort) spoke very limited English. Brutal. One of our friends had a nut allergy, you would think they would know the phase"allergic to nuts" or "does this have nuts in it?"

A la Cart restaurants, don't waste your time, we tried all of them the only good one is the Mediterranean only but again the food at the buffet was better. Only complaint about the food : A) not very many veggie options, no salad to be had. B) late night snack bar and day snack bar only had burgers/hotdogs fries and nachos and limited "salad bar " choices basically a plate of cucumber, another one had tomato. Grilled Cheese sandwich would of been nice. Not everyone eats meat. You don't have to be a vegetarian either, saw many ppl disappointed at food choices due to religious reasons, they were out of luck when it came to eating ie cross contamination. Same items every day.

Lobby of resort watch out for "Bahia Principe representatives" They are trying to sell you a time share. Between avoiding these ppl and the beach vendors it was exhausting. Got to a point where we just stop being polite and said NO loudly and walked away.

Wifi, pretty sure the description said for Golden Club we had free Wifi in our area. Turns out not. And only avail in the lobby for 1 hr a day. Thing is if you only use it for 10 mins thats it thats all you get. Brutal.

Disco and casino up the strip was fun, lots of music/dancing a mix of people had a lot of fun. Open til 2am.

We hired a taxi and went off the resort to a local beach, it was beautiful, way better than the beach at the resort. Crystal blue water. Beach vendors sold everything from beer to lobster cooked for you right on the beach. We paid 45 USD for the cab to take us (4 of us)there, wait 3 hrs for us and return us back to the resort. We also went on a horse back riding trip in the mountains 60USD, horses are really skinny, passed other horses while driving up there, all looked healthy like the ones back home. This ranch though, the horses had very boney backs, did not feel good about this trip. They take you through the villages around the ranch, view of country side was amazing, the shanties ppl live in, heart wrenching. Kids run after the truck hoping to get candy etc from tourists.

Unless you can get this resort for Cheap - don't waste your money. We will never return. All we wanted was to relax on the beach, and we were harassed everyday, all day by vendors. Read reviews of ppl who have returned to this resort over and over, I really don't get it, you can stay at a 3 star in Mexico that is WAY better than this place. Obviously these return guests haven't travelled very much.

The strong points: Plenty of beach chairs, no need to get up early. Drinks are strong not watered down.
The weak points: Sand Fleas. No hot water or pressure on top level "golden club section" and beach vendors wearing Hotel Shirts saying " Gift Shop" relentless! Would not leave you alone. They should not be allowed on resort. Limited Vegetarian options.

Room Tip: Lower levels seem to have hot water and water pressure, none to be had on upper levels
2 Thank Virga_999
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us on Trip Advisor which we will take in the highest consideration.

Regarding your comments we are very sorry to hear that we could not fulfil your expectations regarding our services and facilities, we must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning our hotel, services and facilities has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our surveys.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the matters the proper attention.

We sincerely would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Bahia Principe San Juan to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Best wishes,

Occidental Caribe
Occidental Caribe
#64 of 111 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,627 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe San Juan? Share your experiences!