My husband and I traveled to this resort in Feb 2014 with a group of 10 friends. We read many reviews that were quite mixed so our expectations were not high.. But we were blown away! The resort from check in to check out was incredible. All staff were friendly and communicated well. Our rooms were cleaned daily and the beds w ere a little hard, but nothing that kept us up at night. We spent a lot of time by the mail pool, it is huge! We always found space together, and the swim up bar was connected to the main bar so there was lots of selection. Many people complained about the beach but it was lovely. It gets better the more you walk left from the main pool. The water was bright blue and warm. We enjoyed the beach bar and snacks. Our favourite was the beach BBQ on Wednesday. Yes the sand is brown but are you kidding?! It was still amazing. We took a day trip to Paradise Island, it was a 2.5 hour bus ride through DR but our tour guide was great, and we learned a lot about the country. We then got to go on speed boats, have lunch in the beach town and snorkel off of a tiny white sand beach with tons of fishes.
Te only thing I would suggest is to bring some bug spray if you are out at night, I got a few bites on my legs, but that happens anywhere. They do spray the resort so the Mosquitos are barely noticeable.
The food was well above average as well. Lots of selection. We tried all of the a la carte restaurants too, and despite other reviews really enjoyed the Mexican. It is on the beach so the ambiance trumps all others. If you like fish then the Mediterranean is good, but we had some picky eaters and the other options were limited, although I had the lamb and was really impressed.
Because we were a larger group (in our late 20s-30) we didn't need the karaoke or disco to be busy to make a party, but there were always other guests there, and we spent every night singing and dancing. The main strip is far away from the guest rooms so there were no problems with noise.
Overall it was an amazing time. Definitely something for everyone. It's not a 5 star resort, but if you are looking for a fun but relaxing time, with picturesque qualities and friendly staff then this is a great option!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 4 pools BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, mini golf, football pitch... Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (1 hour free per day/device) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo Main restaurant and 3 specialty restaurants 6 bars Playa Grande Golf Course just 40 minutes from the hotel Convention / Meeting centre Pueblo Principe: shows, live music, bars, stores, karaoke, casino and disco Rooms 608 rooms including 2 types: Suite & Standard The Standard rooms are equipped with: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom: Bathtub plus shower, wash basin, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ceiling fan Safe (additional charge) Mini-bar (Restocked daily) Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen TV Coffee set WiFi (additional charge) The Suite rooms have the same equipment as the Standard rooms but also include: Ironing set Sitting area with sofa Pool towel available in room Bathrobe and slippers Evening turn-down service International newspapers Terrace or balcony Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service for children aged up to 12 (additional charge) Other Services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Juan Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe San Juan Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe San Juan Dominican Republic
- Dominican Republic Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe San Juan Resort
- Bahia Principe Sj
- Puerto Plata Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Resort San Juan