This was our 3rd time here (Jan 24-31) and once again it was fine. There was 22 people in our group for a wedding that Angie the wedding co-ordinator planned and she also acted as our representitive to deal with minor issues to the front desk, she rocks and deserves a lot of credit. While we were there another couple decided to renew their vows in a ceremony at the gazebo with all the bells and whistles and she pulled it off in 5 hrs. I must say prior to our arrival there was high tension due to the story that came out 2 weeks before our stay about 2 girls having a incident at the BP. Well, we met and talked to people (guests) that were there during that time and not heard a thing about it (lucky them being there for 4 weeks). Security was present at all times and more so after dark thoughout the entire resort (they carry radios and night sticks not guns), we all felt safe and secure including our parents (in their 80')would walk back to the room from the casino at midnight!
Transfer from airport; since we were a group we had a private mini bus waiting for us and went directly to the resort, 1hr trip and same returing back. This is the 1st time we left in day light and that trip is a tour in itself. The one thing we like is the resort is not close to any town or city so there are no regular locals or peddlars constantly pestering you and trying to paint your toenails while having lunch or dinner. They do have a section on the east end beach designated for them with booths that you can go and check out their merchandise
Arrival at front desk; 9:30pm our rep sat us in a section of the front lobby and handed out our packages of bracelets, room and safe keys and advised us that the buffet would stay open late to feed us! We were in our rooms with baggage and back to the buffet by 10: 30. Baggage guys are fast and awesome!!! (same goes for pick-up when we left)
Golden Club rooms: is what our group had close to the wedding gazebo and smaller east end pool. Rooms and buildings have been painted in this area since our last trip in 2012, very clean, everything worked, great location (E-5) with pool and ocean view
Food; buffet is fine but as anywhere else it starts to get boring so use those alcartes, no shortage of drinks anywhere you go on the entire resort
Pools and Beach; main pool is nice and the party place but there are 3 more quieter pools if thats your thing, one is so secluded you will walk right by it (next to the Italian rest.) the beach is dark sand and murky water but clean in most areas but the sun is the sun and thats why we went. Rains most nights after midnight but the days are great and yes sand fleas like most tropical areas so the simple solution is to bring fly spray with deet in it, it works and Benadrile for itching.
Staff: they keep the washrooms throughout the entire resort close to spotless as does the groundskeepers, maids, hotel lobby staff, etc. and of course the bar staff and servers are great
Summary: for the money its great, try to learn a few spanish key words and phrases. Don't believe everything you read, talk to people who have been here before and be nice to staff, it goes a lot further for results than yelling and screaming. We'll be back, no problem
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 4 pools BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, mini golf, football pitch... Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (24 hour free per day/device) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo Main restaurant and 3 specialty restaurants 6 bars Playa Grande Golf Course just 40 minutes from the hotel Convention / Meeting centre Pueblo Principe: shows, live music, bars, stores, karaoke, casino and disco Rooms 608 rooms including 2 types: Suite & Standard The Standard rooms are equipped with: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom: Bathtub plus shower, wash basin, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ceiling fan Safe (additional charge) Mini-bar (Restocked daily) Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen TV Coffee set WiFi (additional charge) The Suite rooms have the same equipment as the Standard rooms but also include: Ironing set Sitting area with sofa Pool towel available in room Bathrobe and slippers Evening turn-down service International newspapers Terrace or balcony Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service for children aged up to 12 (additional charge) Other Services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Juan Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe San Juan Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe San Juan Dominican Republic
- Dominican Republic Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe San Juan Resort
- Bahia Principe Sj
- Puerto Plata Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Resort San Juan