“Wonderful Resort!!! Very SAFE”

Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rio San Juan
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Our group of 4 older ladies stayed here on Jan 23 to the 30th.
After reading some of the reviews posted recently, we were leery of travelling to this resort...but, WOW, we were pleasantly surprised!!!
I would have to say that this resort is one of the cleanest, safest and, thanks to an amazing staff, friendliest I have ever stayed in! During the week I was there, I didn't hear any negative comments by any of the people we met.
The restaurants were very good. The buffet was plentiful and had lots of variety. (I loved the self-serve wine taps!!!...lol) I realize that the hotel was not at full capacity while we were there but they didn't cut back on the quality or quantity of food.
We loved the pool and the beach. Because the area we were in (13B) was not full, we had a bit of a hike to the main lobby for the first 4 days but then they opened the snack bar/bar on the beach closer to us and we were thrilled!!!
I really can not say enough about the staff...FABULOUS!!! It didn't matter who worked there, from the reception desk to the gardeners, everyone was pleasant and helpful. Not once did we feel uncomfortable or ignored by anyone.
A special thanks to Elizabeth and all the bartenders at the lobby/pool bar who didn't over pour our drinks..to the day time Manager who was so helpful, Maria our maid, and to Hipolito, the Air Canada rep, who WAS available when he said he would be. I am sorry I don't remember all the names of the staff who were good to us, but when I close my eyes, I can see their faces.
Would I go back??? in a heart beat. Thanks to all for a GREAT vacation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank tripaholic57
Cservicebpsj, Quality & Customer Service department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen our Hotel as your holiday destination and also for taking the time to share your comments with our Trip Advisor community regarding the experiences you had during your stay in our Resort.

We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our services and facilities. We would like you to mention that this kind of review help us to improve and raise our service as well as it will be really helpful for other people who would like to spend their holidays with us. Also, we appreciated your comments about our staff regarding their attitude we are aware that it is only with their effort that we are able to achieve our goal- the total satisfaction of our guests.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you very soon once again at our hotel to continue providing you the most memorable experience and surpass your expectations.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Puerto Plata.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe San Juan

Reviewed February 2, 2014

DR Airport: Air Canada Vacations prepaid arrival fee and delivered (three) blank DR forms for completion on aircraft.

Check in: Air Canada Vacations arranged for room and safety deposit key to be delivered on the bus. No lobby check in delay on arrival. Thank you Ipolito (rep). All bars closed upon our 11:00 pm arrival and so we relied on room mini bar for refreshment.

Hotel: grounds beautifully maintained. No jungle. Beach is very long and wide and has plenty of lounges and shade. Lots of washrooms, serviced continually.

Security: Room safe provided. Security evident at perimeter and on walkways. However, room door remains unlocked when opened with key or from indoors. Our room remained unlocked for two days until we realized that we had to relock every time. Free second room key provided upon asking.

Room: Building A10 recently refreshed. Air conditioner noise intrusive. Would have liked a screen on balcony door and left AC off at night. Beach towels placed in room. Refrig needed replacement but was stocked daily. One cabinet door hinge loose but service was prompt. Maids often work in teams of two for fast service. TV channel range was very scant, especially English news. Nothing for the Europeans.

Climate: Perfect day and night temps. A couple of days where rain showers kept us under cover.

Food and bars: Good variety at buffet. We alternated with reservation restaurants. Both were better than at other destinations, especially with respect to fruit and cheese. Bar stock had minimum acceptable product range. Would have liked an all-day coffee bar service in the large central lobby area to supplement the bar.

Computer Heaven: Free wifi in lobby area meant that half of the crowd was glued to an electronic device day and night. Such vacation concentration of phones, e-games, notepads, laptops, etc. never seen before.

Summary: We do three or four two week sunshine trips each winter. Our base case comparison is with Melia Las Dunas, Cayo Santa Maria. Cuba. After a hiatus of about 25 years, we returned to DR with modest expectations. This hotel property now ranks #2 vs. our base case and certain attributes are superior, e.g.: communications. It will remain on our list when considering future travel plans.

Other: We have never seen so many bodies proudly emblazoned with tattoos. Not our style.

10  Thank John A

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for having taken time to express your impressions of your stays with us. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our service and facilities, we put our greatest interests and value in our guest’s opinion.

We are very proud to receive comments and opinions such as yours. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. Be assured at Bahía Príncipe San Juan will never cease in its effort to achieve our goal – the total satisfaction of our guests.

We are very sorry to hear about the fact that in some aspects we could not fulfill your expectations. However, we are glad that you have enjoyed all our facilities and services during your visit with us. We would love to have another opportunity to welcome you very soon in our hotel.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Dominican Republic.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I have to admit that I was a bit concerned about this vacation when I bought it because of the price. The old saying "you get what you paid for" had me worried. I had also read a few negative reviews on this site which also fed into those fears. However, my travel agent assured me it was a good place. I returned home last night from a one week vacation and I have to say that I was extremely happy with our experience. I would not hesitate to recommend this property to anyone that wants a relaxing vacation. No, the rooms were not luxurious, but they were clean and sufficient. Besides, in my mind, the room is just a place to sleep. I don't want to be in it too much during the day. I think if you are a beach dweller and very particular about wanting that nice soft white sand, then there are other beaches that are better. I am not that person so I found the beach to be nice. Where this place shines is the food, services and activities. The property is large enough that if you want peace and quiet, you can find that at either end. If you are looking to be social and have fun, then the main pool area is awesome. The activities team is tremendous!!!! I can see where they work incredibly hard to do what they can to entertain and provide various activities if you want them. My wife could not wait each day for the dance lessons and water aerobics. We had a great time at the evening shows and greatly appreciate the work that the team puts into their shows. The general staff from servers to cleaners to cooks and even the guys mopping the floor are very friendly. From watching reactions of the guests, it seems that many of them have their "favorites". There were certainly a few that I looked for frequently simply to say hola.

The food is this place was great. There are so many selections in the main buffet area that it would be very difficult for someone to say they could not find anything they liked. I think in the entire week, I may have found one item on the buffet that I simply thought was not good. The cooked to order pasta station was a favorite of mine. We did eat in the Mediterranean, Mexican and Italian places. We loved the food there and it was a nice break from the buffet. I say that mostly because I was eating way too much in the buffet since I wanted to try so much.

The hotel is about an hour from the airport, which is something some people may not like. I look at it as an opportunity to see a bit of the country as you ride in and out of the resort. So many people look at these properties as paradise, but we have to keep in mind they are a conjured paradise. Once you are outside of the gates, you will see how life really is for the people that work so hard to make sure you feel pampered. Once you understand how they live, I think you can appreciate more the effort they put forth.

A special honorable mention goes to Rafael (server in the restaurants), Yismarie (server in one of the bar areas), Jacqueline (server in bar area) and the entire activities team. You guys are all awesome!!!

8  Thank lovetotravelintl

Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you had a fantastic time with us and therefore you enjoyed your stay at our resort, especially the services from our staff. We appreciated your comments as it is through this kind of communications that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding the hotel premises.

We hope to welcome you again in Bahia Principe San Juan, please feel free to contact us whenever you are planning to return.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your holidays in Puerto Plata.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed February 1, 2014

6 of us travelled from Jan.14 to Jan 28/2014 .Had a great time ...the weather was great except for a day and a half...the staff was always pleasant ..especially the "bell boys".3 member of ourgroup had mobility issues and these boys were always willing to come and pick us up and take us to where ever we wanted to go ..and always with a smile ..Thank you Junior, Javier,Luis, Edicto!!!We look forward to seeing you again someday!! A word about some of the side trips ..make sure if you have mobility problems to question if there is a lot of walking involved .or climbing.....or else you might be spending some extra time on the jeep.!..while others are enjoying some of the extra sights...That being said.. our tour guide Marco Polo was Great as was our Paparazzi guy Kiko !The only thing that could use a LOT of improvment was the evening entertainment...too loud and not that good or entertaining at all I don't think we sat through too many of them...The food was pretty good..and always a variety..always could find something ...My Hubby always liked breakfast best!!! At breakfast Rafael and Raul were always entertaining..sorry cannot remember some of the waitresses names.All in All a good time was had by all!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank TravellinSeniors

Dear Guest,

Firstly, we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our services as well as it will be really helpful for other guests that would like to spend their holidays with us, and we really thank you for it.

It is a real pleasure to us to get your comment. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed all our facilities and services during your visit with us. Also, we appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guest. We are delighted to share your comments with all of them.

Once again, thank you so much for your review. We also are looking forward to see you next year. We will be at your disposal for whatever you may need.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Excellent hotell and area!! The only thing to complain about is the fat tv and bad tv channels.
Tennis courts are contreate so they are a bit uneven, but still good to play at.
Use anti moscito since they will attack you (Not all), but they bit me and my wife a lot.

Room Tip: Rooms starting from 2143 and up are very close to the Tennis courts and we played each day.
1  Thank Peter B

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on our Trip advisor community regarding your experience in our hotel. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our service and facilities we put our greatest interest and value in our guest´ opinion.

It is truly a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and the fact that you categorized us as an excellent hotel, we greatly thank you for it, comments such as like yours are what we strive for following every day in order to improve the quality of service we offer.

Once again, thank you so much for your review and we sincerely wish to welcome you again very soon. We will be at your disposal for whatever you may need.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

At first I was a little worried to come on this trip because of some of the reviews I was reading. I'm so glad I decided to come, overall it was amazing, the food was awesome, the beach/pool were great and the staff was incredible! They put on great shows every night, they make you feel so welcome. I was sad to come home. The only thing I wish I would have done is find a way to keep in touch with some of the staff, because I already miss them! I will definitley be going back next year!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Bullochm

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such good opinion about our hotel, we really appreciate it.

We are so happy that you have enjoyed all our services and facilities during your stay in our hotel. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team’s work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. We are delighted to share your comments with all of them.

We hope to welcome you once again in Bahia Principe San Juan. Please do not hesitate to contact us whenever you are planning to come back.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Our family of 10 travelled to this resort the second week of January 2014. It was a fantastic experience. The staff were great, the grounds were well taken care of. We did have an initial problem with the rooms not being cleaned until late in the day but as soon as we discussed it with the Client Services people the matter was taken care of & did not arise again. The food was very good and such a variety that catered to all. The care that was taken in the presentation of the food and the displays around it were incredible. We found the staff in the restaurants and especially the buffet area to be very kind, considerate and caring. By the end of the week we felt more than welcomed by them. The children looked forward to seeing them each day; especially Wander Montilla. The pools were kept nice and clean as well as the area around them. The beach was the same and we really enjoyed walking and being on it. Thank you for a wonderful relaxing holiday which we all needed. We plan to return again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Maureen S

Dear Client,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our hotel as your holiday destination and also for taking time to share your comments on Trip Advisor community.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel premises especially because of the friendliness of our staff members. Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff.

We appreciate so much your comments. We are looking forward to welcome you once again and have the opportunity to continue providing the most memorable experiences.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio San Juan
#1 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana
Be Live Collection Punta Cana
Now Garden Punta Cana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe San Juan? Share your experiences!