“Clean resort and friendly staff”

Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rio San Juan
“Clean resort and friendly staff”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just back from a trip to Dominican San Juan. I purchased a last minute deal so never had any expectations except for much needed relaxation.

I feel I need to explain my ratings

1) rooms....although clean I think they need upgrades.....bathroom needs new sicks, bathtubs and toilets. Warm climate and having to put your toilet paper in the garbage was a little gross.

2) food....not great

3) staff...top notch, friendly and always eager to help.

Not knowing when we booked it was Labour Weekend in DR...the resort was overly crowded for a few days with locals. Line up for food took up to an hour one evening....finally I have up and went to bed. That is my biggest disappointment. With the Locals on the resort the pools were not accessible to relax in and being from Canada I was in the minority for the language that weekend. (750 local residents stayed)

Careful of the vendors on the beach...the are persistent and sometimes annoying.

Would I stay again? Yes just not on Labour Day Wknd.

I am back three days...been sick with nauaea since I returned....hoping it is a coincidence and not what I ate there.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank clealam
, Quality & Customer Service department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Bahia Principe San Juan, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback. We sincerely regret to learn about your dissatisfaction with the rooms, food and locals guests. We are working hard to improve our services in all aspects. We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the matters the proper attention.

We remain at your disposal for whatever you may need. Please do not hesitate to contact us whenever you are planning to return.

Jefe Calidad & Customer Service Bahía Príncipe San Juan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Me and the misses stayed here 14th-28th April
The first ten days were amazing the resort is really nice has everything u need.
Staff were great they work so hard.the best for me was the lad on the small pool bar at the beach he was a geezer and the lass who waitresses at the lobby bar during afternoon and night always smiling and sharing joke with you both need pay rises!
Rooms were good huge bed and great balcony.
Food was good buffet was spot on as for al a carted the med was the best by far.
Beach was ok dark sand but sea was warm.
Went on 2 excursions quad bikes which were well good met 2 nice people doing it and ended up drinking with them on nights.
Did a snorkelling trip where u go to two really nice beaches crystal clear water.
The beach shop boys are bit annoying if u are going to buy go to no4.
Only had two bad points the last 4days bout 400 students turned up who weren't 2 bad at times but at the weekend before we left it was public bankholiday there and 1500 rich Dominican people showed up!
The place was packed couldn't get any food and they were all rude pricks!!!
Would cut in line pile their plates with food then waste it.seriously I wanted to crack a couple they were that rude.
Overall though amazing holiday met loads of nice people

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank kevin660
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Bahia Principe San Juan, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. This serves to acknowledge you that your opinion is very valuable for us; therefore we are extremely proud and happy for having left a pleasant memory. We especially appreciate your comments about the rooms, food, beach and staff. Comments such as like yours are what motivate us as a team everyday to improve the quality of service that we offer and fulfil our commitment with customer satisfaction.

We sincerely regret to hear that the students and locals clients caused you any discomfort, unfortunately we do not have the option to select our clients we receive all the reservation with the same way independently gender, culture, religion, age.

We are looking forward to see you again next time here in Bahia Principe San Juan and having the opportunity to continue providing you and the most memorable vacation. Please feel free to contact us whenever you are planning to return.

Best wishes,

newmarket, on
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at the Bahia Principe San Juan from April 11 to April 18. Having stayed at a Gran Bahia Principe in the Mayan Riviera last year, our expectations were a little higher than they may have been otherwise, despite allowing for the difference between a five star and a four resort. The Bahia Principe San Juan did not disappoint.

It was fairly quiet during our stay. As a result, a number of the amenities such as the beach bars were closed but this was understandable. We never had trouble obtaining seatings at the buffet or a la carte restaurants nor finding a comfortable palapa on the beach. I would love to go back and see the resort in full swing but enjoyed the easy accessabiiliy

The staff, although perhaps not quite as welcoming as we have experienced in Mexico, are friendly and accommodating. They work very hard and made our trip an experience to remember. The animation team are top-notch. They do an amazing job - pumping enthusiasm and energy into everything they do, no matter how many times they must do it.

Check in with a young trainee was efficient and pleasant. We weren't thrilled with the view from our Diamond Club balcony and asked if we might move to another room. Joel, was most accommodating and we were moved into new digs, with a lovely view of the beach, in no time.

Our room, although smaller than the junior suites we have enjoyed in the past, was clean, comfortable and more than adequate for our needs. Except for the day our regular housekeeper had her day off, our room was cleaned and made up by 11 AM every morning. The air conditioning isn't the strongest, but the temperature always cooled off beautifully at night. A few hours with AC on while we were at dinner cooled the room off sufficiently to be comfortable and we were able to sleep with the AC off and the balcony door open. Water pressure isn't overly strong but quite adequate (I have long, thick, curly hair and had no trouble rinsing out shampoo). I love a good hot shower and have no complaints about the water temperature. The coffee provided in the rooms is phemonenal! Loved it!

The food in the a la carte restaurants was good, as was the service. The buffet was as expected except that, at every meal there was at least one (usually more) stand-out item that made us say "Oh my God, that is SOOOO good?". The fish and chicken are particularly well prepared. The juice bar and egg/omelet station every morning are spectacular, as is the pasta station at lunch and dinner. I have never had calamari so tender as I had on two occasions in the buffet. The vegetables and pasta are cooked perfectly al dente. And, although it may sound odd, the deep fried beef is just awesome!

The animation team is second to none. These kids pump so much joy, energy and enthusiasm into everything they do despite the long hours they put in every day catering to over-privileged Europeans and North Americans (that would include me). They are absolutely amazing and will do everything they can to make your trip a memorable experience.

The beach is beautiful! We have been to Cancun and the Mayan Riviera, and this is our favourite beach. Long, sandy, gorgeous, clear water and beautiful surrounding terrain. Every day we were there was a green flag day. There are sand bags which take away from the view somewhat but they are they are doing the job they were intended to do - preserving and expanding the beach so that we may enjoy it now and for years to come. Having kept a close eye on Trip Advisor reports prior to our trip, I was very concerned about sand fleas but am very happy to report, neither my husband nor I had any trouble. The resort is very diligent in spraying every morning and evening.

We have no complaints regarding the beach vendors. They kept a fairly low profile and if we avoided eye contact, they did not bother us. If you do venture down to "Plaza India" at the end of the beach, be prepared for high-pressured sales tactics. Odds are, you WILL buy something whether you mean to or not. I purchased a number of souvenirs from Raphael and probably paid too much for them, but I paid no more than I was happy to pay and helped to support the local economy. You will find better deals in the shops up the road at the Pueblo Principe. I love this feature of the Bahia chain. You find all the souvenirs that you need at reasonable prices on site if you so choose.

We travelled with Sunquest, but were unable to catch up the Sunquest rep to arrange an off-site excursion. Joan from HotelBeds took very good care of us and worked closely with the Transat rep to arrange a half-day horse riding excursion for us. It was a $55 US per person excursion that was worth every penny. We loved it. The countryside was so beautiful I was moved to tears.

I would highly recommend a trip to Puerto Plata and particularly to the Bahia Principe San Juan. You will receive excellent value for your money. My husband and I hope to be fortunate enough to return someday.

Room Tip: Diamond or Gold section rooms with a beach view are the way to go!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank cricketsmommy
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings on behalf of Bahía Príncipe San Juan. We would like to thank you for your loyalty to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts chain. It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort. We are very proud to have received your good comments regarding your stay with us.

We are glad that you have enjoyed all our facilities and services during your visit with us. We would like you to mention that this kind of review help us to improve and raise our service.

We hope to have you back in the near future at Bahía Príncipe San Juan and thank you in person. I take the opportunity to send a very warm greeting.

Kind Regard,
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I came back April 25th from this resort. The first thing that our group noticed was the staff was A+. Especially Charlie at reception!!!! The staff went above and beyond their job duties. By the end of the trip the hardest part was saying goodbye to the staff as they became our friends. They layout of the resort was very nice, the large pool was clean and beautiful. Many spots at the main pool still had FREE wifi signal which was a MAJOR plus to this resort. We also met a couple that frequent the Dominican Republic and they said this was one of the nicest resorts they've ever been too. The food was nothing extraordinary, but honestly was pretty awesome compared to what I make/buy at home. No complaints! And the butter they served mmmmmm you must have the butter!!!! Lol. They also had food available if you missed the buffet times. The rooms were clean and tidy. The beds we had could have been better, we found ourselves super tired even after a full night of sleep. The drink fridge was fully stocked with water and beverages. My friend's iPod went missing though. I'm not sure what happened to it but I suggest using the safe for your valuables!!! Def try the excursions. The jeep excursion was amazing, the guides showed us EVERTHING! Great value for your money!!!

The only 2 major downfalls I can think of is the Location and drink selection.

The resort is 40 minutes away from Cabarete (which is a city you MUST go to at night, fun fun fun all the clubs are on the beach), and 50-60 mins away from the airport. I suggest to get a cab with someone else from the resort, it will be 70$ or so both ways (pay upon return). The resort's nightlife really depends on who's at the resort :(. The nightly entertainment is poor as well.

The drinks were limited to daiquiris, beer, piña coladas, bar shots, and there was no real juices to mix shots with. They were all sugar based drinks. The alcohol was cheap, and the drinks off the resort were 100x better!

Overall, for the price we paid we had an AMAZING time! I would go again for sure! And I would suggest this place for groups of friends, and even for couples (the private pools, and beachfront are quiet and peaceful - the main pool, not so much). If you want a resort that is perfect in every way then open your wallets and go for a 5 star (1000$+) Great resort for the money!

Room Tip: We were in the E's on ground level. Very nice :). Quick walk to buffet, 2 pools, lobby, tennis c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer S
Dear Client,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday’s destination.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises especially because of the friendliness of our staff members. Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff.

We regret so much to hear if the location and the drinks did not meet your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcome you once again in our hotel and have the opportunity to continue providing the most memorable experiences.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

The staff at this resort is fantastic - even with a reservation/room error, they went above and beyond to rectify the situation and made sure the other family members we were traveling with where housed in the same area.
The rooms were ok - I've stayed in nicer, but they were clean and for the most part comfortable. Just a little worn and shabby in places. Our housekeeper was amazing - very friendly and did a very good job. The towel animals were always something to look forward to when returning to the room after breakfast.
The wait staff was great. Here's a tip: Tip your waiter VERY well at a breakfast meal and he/she will go out of their way to ensure all future visits to that dining room are top notch. We did this (on the advice of friends who stayed here earlier in the year) and sure enough, every morning we returned, the waiter waved us in (past line ups) and had a table ready and coffee poured before we sat down.
The bar staff was great - although drink selection was a little blah. If you like tasteless, sugary slush with weak rum, you'll like it. If we return, we will be trying to upgrade for premium liquor because I think it really does make a difference.
The second last day at the resort I began to feel ill. By midnight I was in/out of consciousness and vomiting badly. My husband called the front desk who promptly sent the resort doctor - I think it took her 15 minutes to get to our room (longest 15 minutes of my life). The entire doctor exam is a blur because I was so sick and given the amount of medication she was injecting into me, but the staff was great. They sent someone down with bottles of water, fresh towels, and ice chips. They also sent our travel rep a message so first thing the next morning she was at our door and making arrangements with my husband to extend our stay (doctor's orders to have me stay put) and take care of details. The front desk called from time to time to check in with my husband to see if he required anything and if so, they had a staff member there at the door within a few minutes with it. The doctor came back 2x a day until we were safe to fly back.

The grounds of this hotel are safe - a lot of friendly security guards on the beach ,etc. Some of the patios look a little past their prime, but are still functional.

I would recommend this place - despite the parasite. The prompt service and medical attention helped make a very bad situation a lot better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Crikgrrl
Dear Guests,

Firstly, we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our services as well as it will be really helpful for other guests that would like to spend their holidays with us, and we really thank you for it.

It is a real pleasure to us to get your comment. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed all our facilities and services during your visit with us. Also, we appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guest. We are delighted to share your comments with all of them.

On the other hand, nobody is obligated to tip the staff, if clients are satisfied with the service received and want to thank the staff for the received service they gratefully accept the tips; but all clients do receive the same service independent if clients tip or not.

We also regret very much to learn that you got sick during your stay with us. Several factors may contribute to stomach diseases when people traveller to tropical counties such as: too much hours on a flight, weather & temperature variations at destination, excessive combination of food and beverages, excessive sun exposure, some individuals reactions, among others. Nevertheless, we must say that our guest’s safety and well-being are two of the most important priorities that we care about.

Once again, thank you so much for your review and we sincerely wish to welcome you again very soon to our Hotel Bahia Principe San Juan. We will be at your disposal for whatever you may need.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went from 7th April to 21st 2013, we were 2 famillies of 4, we all had a great time, very clean, rooms were always clean, the food was fantastic and the A la Carte restaurants were lovely, the waiters Rafael, Miguel and Raymundo were great, the animation tream were amazing, especially Alex, Carlos, Ratzinea, Edward just to name a few, they are so happy and hardworking trying to entertain everyone, we had 4 boys with us ranging from 15 to 12, they abosulutely loved the animation team. The shows were a little bit boring in the evening but they do try hard, overall loved the whole holiday and would definetly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank YvonneD_11
, Quality & Customer Service department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guests,

Firstly, we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Trip advisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our services and we really thank you for it.

It is a real pleasure to us to get your comment. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed all our facilities and services during your visit with us. We appreciate so much your comments, it is through communications of this nature that we can know that we maintain the level of service expected from our clients, we are very proud to share your comments with all our staff.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have just returned on April 22nd from our 5th time at the Bahia, excellent resort, excellent staff, very clean, great room in the Gold Club, food was fantastic, wonderful service planning on returing time and time again, felt like our second home. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay one of the best yet in the Dominican.

Great value for your money, we have been to this hotel 5 times in the past 13 years.

Room Tip: Gold Club rooms awesome, ask for second floor great views, and being higher up will stop the little...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tammie2010
, Quality & Customer Service department at Grand Bahia Principe San Juan, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a good review of your stay at Bahía Príncipe San Juan in our Tripadvisor web page and share with our fans your experience with us.

You can be sure that there is no biggest reward for us than to get a message like yours knowing that we have exceeded your expectations. We are a family hotel and we do everything possible to make feel our guests like part of this great family.

Once again, we thank you for your comment. We are at your disposal for whatever you may need, please do not hesitate on contacting us in a future visit with us.

Regard,

#2 of 39 in Puerto Plata
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 39 in Puerto Plata

Been to Grand Bahia Principe San Juan? Share your experiences!