I travelled to the BPSJ over the Christmas holidays with my wife and in-laws.
We opted for the Golden Club. I did not notice much of a difference...I think we were given an additional a la carte option...and priority check-in.
My first impression was not very good. We were given a room on the ground floor...I highly recommend requesting something on the second floor. The in-laws had a second floor room...it was much nicer having high ceilings and a balcony amongst the palms. The rooms are dated...but relatively clean. The toilet in our room would not stop running all week...we just closed the bathroom door at night to drown noise. The only other complaint is the lack of hot water. If you want a warm/hot shower turn the water on well before you plan on getting in...a waste but necessary if you don't want a cold shower. My first impression of the beach was disappointing...the sand was relatively coarse and the water was very murky and full of seaweed.
The food choices were very good...and as far as I know, no one in our party suffered any gastro-intestinal issues. My wife and I are both vegetarian and always found something adequate. The a la carte's were hit and miss. We ate at the Italian twice...first time it was very good...second time the food was terrible. The Mexican was okay. The Mediterranean was awesome!!!
Outside of the resort:
The resort was okay...but the highlight of my trip was without a doubt the time spent outside of the resort. The in-laws wanted to take us on an excursion...we talked to a tour operator at the resort that quoted $90/person for some cheesy-sounding tour. At the front of the resort is a taxi stand. I spoke to taxi driver(Chitto is his nickname)...he offered a personalized tour for $80 for six people in his van(newer and clean). He took us to some awesome sites like Playa Diamonte, Lake Dudu, Playa Grande and a couple of towns for souvenir shopping. We were so happy with our personal excursion that we tipped him very handsomely.
The wife and I(both beach lovers and unhappy with the one at the resort) went on our own excursion. We took a taxi to Playa Caleton. That beach was very nice...there was a good mix of ex-pats, tourists and locals. The price was $40 return. Our cabbie was waiting in the parking lot to take us back to the resort at the agreed upon time.
I cannot stress enough that anyone visiting BPSJ should check out the places I mentioned. There are some reviews on TA under the things to do in Rio San Juan tab.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 4 pools BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, mini golf, football pitch... Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (24 hour free per day/device) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo Main restaurant and 3 specialty restaurants 6 bars Playa Grande Golf Course just 40 minutes from the hotel Convention / Meeting centre Pueblo Principe: shows, live music, bars, stores, karaoke, casino and disco Rooms 608 rooms including 2 types: Suite & Standard The Standard rooms are equipped with: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom: Bathtub plus shower, wash basin, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ceiling fan Safe (additional charge) Mini-bar (Restocked daily) Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen TV Coffee set WiFi (additional charge) The Suite rooms have the same equipment as the Standard rooms but also include: Ironing set Sitting area with sofa Pool towel available in room Bathrobe and slippers Evening turn-down service International newspapers Terrace or balcony Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service for children aged up to 12 (additional charge) Other Services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Juan Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe San Juan Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe San Juan Dominican Republic
- Dominican Republic Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe San Juan Resort
- Bahia Principe Sj
- Puerto Plata Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Resort San Juan