After saving up for what should have been the holiday of a lifetime turned out to be the holiday from hell!
My family and I should have stayed there for 2 weeks. But after an awful week we decided to check out and stay at a hotel less than an hour away where the beach had white sand and blue water. Unlike the polluted beach by the Bahia principe!
My mother, myself and many others at the hotel were bitten hundreds of times and suffered awful blister type bites which were painful. We were told by the hotel that because of the time of year sand flies would be about on the beach (and no insect repellant worked). We avoided the beach and others that had never been to the beach were also bitten badly. I believe this to be because the hotel, the beach and the rooms were never cleaned properly.
In addition to this I was electrocuted by the hair dryer which was placed close to the sink in the bathroom. Luckily I was ok! I have two young children and on further investigation found bare electrical wires at the back of the bed ( my sons had been playing very close to this under the bed!).
The place was advertised to be a busy place with loads of shops, most of which were boarded up and the hotel itself was like a ghost town ( the word had obviously spread about this poor hotel!).
The only good thing about the place was the kind genuine service in the restaurant. The food had a good selection and the hotel itself looked good on arrival, but I found out the hard way, looks are deceiving!
After paying again for another holiday/ hotel less than an hour away which was not graded as high as the Bahia principe. The new hotel made our holiday, we were surrounded by blue water and white sands on the beach, something of which I intended for my sons to see!
On arriving back to the UK I could not use my hands and feet properly. It turned out that I had suffered a severe allergic reaction from the bites which I received staying in the first hotel. I would like to mention that myself my mother nor any other English person staying at the second hotel was bitten. The reaction I had meant I was sedated most of Xmas day and Boxing Day!
My holiday should have been the most relaxing and enjoyable time but it turned out to be a nightmare.
The Bahia principe and the representatives of this hotel, I believe have a right to inform their customers of the problem which is prominent in their hotel.
If I was informed about these so called sand flies I would have changed my holiday destination!
I would not recommend the Bahia Principe to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 4 pools BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, mini golf, football pitch... Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (24 hour free per day/device) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo Main restaurant and 3 specialty restaurants 6 bars Playa Grande Golf Course just 40 minutes from the hotel Convention / Meeting centre Pueblo Principe: shows, live music, bars, stores, karaoke, casino and disco Rooms 608 rooms including 2 types: Suite & Standard The Standard rooms are equipped with: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom: Bathtub plus shower, wash basin, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ceiling fan Safe (additional charge) Mini-bar (Restocked daily) Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen TV Coffee set WiFi (additional charge) The Suite rooms have the same equipment as the Standard rooms but also include: Ironing set Sitting area with sofa Pool towel available in room Bathrobe and slippers Evening turn-down service International newspapers Terrace or balcony Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service for children aged up to 12 (additional charge) Other Services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Juan Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe San Juan Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe San Juan Dominican Republic
- Dominican Republic Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe San Juan Resort
- Bahia Principe Sj
- Puerto Plata Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Resort San Juan