“Nick the Greek your a legend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hermes Hotel

Hermes Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Chora
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Nick the Greek your a legend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I arrived on Ios after a long trip via Athens from Stockholm so was a bit fried and it was hot and I had no accommodation booked, had not looked at a map and really had no idea what I was going to do. There was this large friendly fellow standing round with the masses of backpackers and hotel owners negotiating rooms and transport. I stood off to the side and thought I'd let the carnage die down. Once the hustle and bustle abated Nick came over and asked If I was ok or needed a ride anywhere. He was holding a brochure so I asked if he had any rooms at his pad and when he heard my accent he picked me as New Zealander and took me excitedly back to his van to show me his All Blacks scarf on his dash board. From there is was smooth sailing. Rodney So'oialo was his favorite player so I got room 8 which had a great view over the ocean and the pool. I met loads of entertaining characters mainly Aussie at Hermes, enjoyed a night of Watching the All Blacks Haka and Clips of Jonah Lomu running over Englishmen at the Rooftop bar and Nick was always happy to drop me off at my next accommodation or pick me up to come back again. It was great value for money, positioned perfectly between town and the main beach which makes it ideal for short walks and clearing hangovers. Rooms were tidy and had everything you needed without being decadent. The roof top bar and cafe was a little gem, Ruth at the pool ran a tidy operation out of the pool side bar with great food and a free beer every 3 or 4 you bought. Rhys runs a mean pub crawl from outside at midnight and knows everyone on the Island it seems so if your traveling alone and want a good night out and to meet some people hit him up. Even better get Nick excited about a night out and he can really activate. The big man runs wild and the drinks flow. He knows all the best spots. All in all one of the best accommodation experiences I've ever had 5+

Room Tip: Room 8 is great
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Mark W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

Good hotel well situated between village& beach,Great service by Ruth and her team at the pool bar,
The owner Nick only seemed to appear when picking up or dropping off so all the PR is done by Ruth at the Pool Bar.
Rooms basic but very clean would highly reccomend.
Service& restaurant ratings refers to Pool bar only

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lisinopril
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

I visited this hotel in April with a friend. The hotel itself is super - the rooms were large and clean and had a lovely balcony with a sea view. The downside was the service. We were one of the only guests in the hotel as it was off-season and we just did not feel welcome. The owners were unable to provide us with info of the island or a suggestion of things to do (no map, etc. was provided). The wifi did not work and they were not willing to help us in any way which was incredibly frustrating. They told us where to go in town and when we came back disappointed that nothing was open (as it was off season) they did not tell us that town was actually on the hill not the main drag! SO unhelpful. We changed our reservation and left early (to see another island) and had a slight disput over the price as they were not honoring the deposit we had already paid (even though we gave them notice!). This hotel is lovely but they definitely need to improve their customer service!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank allie_macrae
Gibraltar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2010

out of this world at such a great price !!
thank you hotel hermes for a lovely time spent at your hotel was amazing ,i highly recomend this hotel to anyone great view ,nice rooms couldnt fault a thing ,
ruth the lady at the pool bar was so helpful and we will certainly return again

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank gem90gem
Kauai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

My husband and I have been visiting Ios since 2002 and have stayed at Hotel Hermes all 5 years we have visited the island. Over the years they have renovated the rooms and have recently added a lounge/bar/restaurant where people can gather to watch football and have a few drinks and food. The views from the hotel are amazing and everyone I have talked to who has stayed there loves the hotel. I read someone else's comment about being treated like "cattle" and don't understand what they are talking about. We are always welcomed by Mama when we arrive and by Nikos at the port and they treat us as well as everyone like family. Their location is great because you are half way between town and the beach so you can walk anywhere pretty much which is perfect after a night of partying. I definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank The_Hawaiians_Kauai
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

My husband and I went to ios on a whim. When we arrived we where approached by nick the greek. Very nice host and enticed us to stay at his family run hotel. I'm glad he did, because the hotel is very nice and ideally situated between the beach and the town on a cliff overlooking the sea.

• Stayed September 2008
      Check in / front desk
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2006

Please please please anybody thinking of staying at this hotel..... DONT! My experiences & those of just about everybody else staying there at the same time were a mixture of despair & anger.

If your aspirations of holiday accommodation are to be treated like cattle, stay in sub standard (18-30 looks like Dubai in comparison!) rooms, & generally be treated with contempt by "Nick" then i wish you bon vacance....

NO hot water for 3 days! when we complained we were sworn at & told to try turning the taps on! (obviously something we hadn't thought of!!!)

We made friends with 4 girls from Ireland whose room was actually below the pool... their water was coming through the ceiling to the point where it was raining down on them in the night. When the famously hospitable Nick was asked to rectify the problem, he again excelled himself with the response that they should move the bed so they didnt get wet.
This in itself was a canny idea if it were not for the fact that the 4 beds he had sardined into the maximum 2 bed room were so tightly packed together you could not walk between them, let alone attempt to move them! This is not hearsay, but true. My room was like a prison cell with only 1 window & bars across it when i had phoned on numerous occassions previous to my arrival to request one of the rooms recommended by other reviewers. With hindsight i am now extremely suspicious of the origination of these reviews & would urge any readers to treat with caution.

Of the evening lifts to town offered to myself & my travelling companions we received none. Very disappointing. The cafe/restaurant just to the left (name slips my mind) did a far better/cheaper breakfast in better surroundings. But better value is to be found just about everywhere else on the island, the "far out village" 6 Euro steak & chips are a must!

The only plus was the swimming pool, which has a good vista.

Hopefully this might stop others befalling the same fate as myself.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — Everything about it left a sour taste in teh mouth.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank FlossyMurphy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chora
Brothers Hotel
#3 of 10 in Milopotas
Yialos Ios Hotel
Yialos Ios Hotel
#6 of 45 in Ios

Been to Hermes Hotel? Share your experiences!